Substitutions

Delighted with the 3 points and we deserved it. But... what was that first substitution about?! 

The shape of the team and the fast flowing football was the best I’ve seen for months in the first 55 mins. Harris was struggling a little going forward but was doing a job, and freeing up Forestieri to roam and interchange with midfield. 

After we took Harris off and pushed Forestieri wide it all went downhill in terms of the balance and shape. We were much more open down the left and defensively looked shakey. The substitution at this time in the game should have been a straight swap - Fletcher on for Wickham. 

I am absolutely buzzing we won, but we made hard work of it. 

Monk - please don’t do that again. You got away with it tonight. 

1 hour ago, modboy said:

Forestieri is the heart of our team 

I sort of agree, except that even the most ardent Forestieri fan can’t escape the fact that Fletcher is the real beating heart of this team. 

Please Mr Monk pair them up as a good old fashioned 9 & 10 partnership whenever possible for the rest of the season.

Yeah the first sub was strange. First half Harris never bested the fullback once, second half from the start he was running at him turning him and getting crosses in, our biggest threat. But at the end of the day we won, so probably an ok shout  

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Midfield was key for me. We looked much stronger in midfield for a change. Fletcher was the difference maker when he came on. Forestieri looked dangerous and made things happen, whilst Lee and Bannan controlled the game. Our wingers were wasteful and frustrating at times but our full backs got forward well and it was a much improved overall team performance, in my opinion, hence the clean sheet and numerous chances we created. That's the most effective we've looked as a team since the Brighton game or before Christmas.

Edited by The Night-Owl

9 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree. He finally seems to have clicked that Forestieri is key. But keep him

up top. It’s Forestieri and a n other for rest of season now.

Finally clicked? 
He has been injured ever since Monk has been here 

How can anyone criticize that substitution? Played well for first 55 minutes but other than the forresieri chance 20 seconds into 2nd half didn't really create many clear cut chances.

Thier right back had Harris in his pocket all first half and as well as forresieri was playing he was struggling in front of goal.

Fletcher sub had instant impact and Fletcher had two good chances that forced their keeper to pull off two great saves straight away! 

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl