Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can you imagine Brentford signing a player like Paterson? No way in the world would they invest that sort of money in someone who wasn’t comfortable on the ball. Also, if they had 4 or 5 experienced centre backs, and they felt they needed more cover, they would be looking in the lower leagues or Europe, for a younger player they could bring on. As someone mentioned earlier, we don’t seem to have learned the lessons from before We are still looking to bring in ageing players, even to act as back up It’s madness

What we have seen of Patterson is little, yet impressive immediately back in the Scotland fold. But you are way off on young centre backs we have had far more young CB's through the door than Brentford some of who got rave reviews then seen to be discarded, VA has been discarded and then reinstated. Can't we focus on what we are trying to do rather than putting a microscope on West London ? 

• Like 1

Just now, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

What we have seen of Patterson is little, yet impressive immediately back in the Scotland fold. But you are way off on young centre backs we have had far more young CB's through the door than Brentford some of who got rave reviews then seen to be discarded, VA has been discarded and then reinstated. Can't we focus on what we are trying to do rather than putting a microscope on West London ? 

I suppose the facts are that they have built a new stadium for 72 million, paid for it with several player sales and at the same time we've spent a colossal amount of money and don't own the ground. Perhaps it's understandable that some fans have questioned our chosen path and make these comparisons. They're also much more likely to get promoted than us, at present.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

What are the ages of the players we have signed so far? Are they all aging?

Well most of them are in a similar age bracket to the ones Carlos signed, and was heavily criticised for doing so. Not sure offhand, but I’d say Dunkley, Kachunga 28, Paterson, Windass 26. That’s not exactly the reenergising of the squad we maybe imagined Only Brown and FDB fall into that category 

However, my point is about what we do now, given that we already have about a dozen players with plenty of experience, let’s now bring in some younger talent

7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

It was in reply to a post referring to Brentford. I don’t really give a FF what Brentford do, but I do care about whether we sign players who are comfortable on the ball Thats the first thing you look for in a player.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well most of them are in a similar age bracket to the ones Carlos signed, and was heavily criticised for doing so. Not sure offhand, but I’d say Dunkley, Kachunga 28, Paterson, Windass 26. That’s not exactly the reenergising of the squad we maybe imagined Only Brown and FDB fall into that category 

However, my point is about what we do now, given that we already have about a dozen players with plenty of experience, let’s now bring in some younger talent

I like the recruitment we’ve done thus far, but I agree with the sentiment of this. We need to balance the squad. I would not add Flint to a group of centre-halves that has Lees, Borner, and Dunkley. Clarke-Salter or Sanderson would complement the squad better - especially in wake of speculation surrounding Iorfa.

46 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think it would be good to look for younger players with EFL experience down the divisions with a view to developing them over a couple of years. But both Pelupessy and Van Aken would look good at that level. Maghoma bossed league 2 scoring 22 from attacking mid but became average in this league as did Bogle. 

Maghoma had several good seasons with Brum at Championship level after he left us. As for Joey and JVA looking good at that level I'm not totally convinced but the fact is they've had several years to make an impact at Championship level and haven't done so IMO. Their wages combined are probably as much as the entire first team are paid in some of these teams however. Of course you can't be guaranteed picking a winner from the lower leagues but  you're likely to get a lot more for 2.8 million than JVA.

Just now, jp1981 said:

He doesn't score goals.

Name a proven striker at this level we can afford who can score goals?

He is tall, quick and an out and out striker. We only have one proper centre forward at the club in Rhodes and he isn’t fancied by the manager. He has the attributes we need and the year Cardiff went up he DID score goals. 

Beggars can’t be choosers at this point. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Name a proven striker at this level we can afford who can score goals?

He is tall, quick and an out and out striker. We only have one proper centre forward at the club in Rhodes and he isn’t fancied by the manager. He has the attributes we need and the year Cardiff went up he DID score goals. 

Beggars can’t be choosers at this point. 

Apart from the season with Cardiff he hasn't scored goals.

However, I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, though his reported wages maybe better used to bring in a couple of players rather than one who in my opinion won't score the goals everyone will be expecting him to. Believe me I hope he proves me wrong if he does sign, and would gladly hold my hands up and say I was wrong if he does.

The question is is he worth the risk or is that risk (as all signings are) worth taking on someone else?

With regards to Rhodes, I feel a bot sorry for him. He scored in the opening game, by all means played pretty well and then got dropped. What's the lad to do?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Sheffield Wednesday have rejected a bid from Championship rivals Brentford for Barry Bannan. 

The midfielder’s Hillsborough contract is up at the end of the season. - Skysports

wonder how much it was for. With his contract up soon I bet it was a real pi$$ take of a bid. Would be a very good move for Bannan imo. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Monk has played more young players than any recent manager . 
What’s our average age this season ? 

3 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Sheffield Wednesday have rejected a bid from Championship rivals Brentford for Barry Bannan. 

The midfielder’s Hillsborough contract is up at the end of the season. - Skysports

Can’t be true Brentford only sign young uns 

😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So if we’re looking at rumours and our squad could we have a possible future line up of 

Dawson 

Iorfa.             Flint.           Dunkley

sanderson.         Luongo.                      Reach

Brown.             Bannan 

Patterson.         Zohore 

would this be a strong enough team to survive and where do you think it would finish if this was the case 

43 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Most of our squad was 30 or over so getting players mid to late 20s is a big difference. By the time Kachunga, Paterson and Dunkleys deals expire they will still be under 30. Windass too and FDB. Older players like flint would be a loan.

Ideally I would like to bring in younger talents from the premier league but agents are worried about us being their best option at the moment. We did well to get FDB due to that uncertainty. We can see how our U23s do and next summer hopefully in this league on a level field we can go again with that.

8 minutes ago, fpowl said:

So if we’re looking at rumours and our squad could we have a possible future line up of 

Dawson 

Iorfa.             Flint.           Dunkley

sanderson.         Luongo.                      Reach

Brown.             Bannan 

Patterson.         Zohore 

would this be a strong enough team to survive and where do you think it would finish if this was the case 

I think that’s a pretty solid team. 

Just need a new manager and we’ll be comfortable mid table.

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1