Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

It's not about must win, must challenge, must gain promotion....

It's about must develop, must scout, must give chances to young players....

String wins together or string sales together....

Let's get the foundation right. The transition has started, a backwards step right now wouldn't kill the confidence of young players. 

Penney, Dawson, Bashiru etc...anyone with potential. Needs to be playing week in, week out.

We're not going up, plenty of teams went backwards to go forwards.

Edited by bigash_swfc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Let's get the foundation right. The transition has started, a backwards step right now wouldn't kill the confidence of young players. 

Penney, Dawson, Bashiru etc...anyone with potential. Needs to be playing week in, week out.

Would love us to build long term and be more forward thinking like that, whilst having something to believe in. As long as we can see that we're trying to build something. 

It's exactly what we should have done after the failed play off campaigns but instead we regressed backwards years on and off the pitch and we're years behind numerous other clubs that have been bringing through players, selling players on whilst they've still got some resale value and reinvesting.

It could be a long time before we ever have as good a chance we had early on in DC's reign. And the way football is going we might never get back to the top flight during the lifetimes of those of us who last saw us there. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 hours ago, malek said:

First to say how I failed to mentioned what a well thought out and educated post you wrote. I respected very much both you and your opinion. 

No, you never sad he is a poor player or that he is poor crosser of the ball. 

I have big issues how you failed to see what he brings to the team and his role in good results he was part of. His high pressing is top notch (we failed to replicate it with him out of side), his transitional game as well. He does awful of lot good work off the ball. 

Regarding his crossing against Watford. If I'm not mistake, although he often offered option he tried to put only couple of times, both under pressure. Both of those won us corner that is not such a poor return. 

But we know he can cross the ball. One game he failed to delivered them is enough to get them dropped?! Harris is putting in poor crosses for most of his time with us. 

BTW. Against Cardiff I asked myself why is he not substituting him as poor lad run himself into ground. Compare that with Reach who put in 90 minutes less miles than Penney did in 75 against Watford (and that is a fact). 

All in all, if we were doing well and getting results, I wouldn't be here posting about Matt Penney. 

Penney isn’t good enough. Both Harris and Reach are MILES better options. Get over it!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Awful idea. We will be relegated if we do that!

40 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Awful idea. We will be relegated if we do that!

A backwards step, with a wealthy investor, having had the penny drop about having a younger, talented team full of potential...is not an awful place to be.

You only have to look the teams who have been promoted in recent years from League 1, to realise this.

Leicester, Southampton, Brighton, Leeds, Norwich, Wolves, Sheffield United, Bournemouth....

A major reset is needed. The points deduction gives the players a reason not to be disheartened. Forget this season. Sell Bannan, Iorfa. Start building for next season in League 1 now.

Young, hungry players. Lets have a full team of them we can proud of.

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Penney isn’t good enough. Both Harris and Reach are MILES better options. Get over it!

They might be better options but MILES better? You’re kidding yourself.

I’d even go as far as saying the day we signed Reach is when we started to go off the rails? Talented player on his day but Carlos had no idea how to use him and neither have most of his successors. Decent left peg but very pedestrian and lightweight player IMO?

• Like 2

Guest Mcguigan

A backwards step, with a wealthy investor, having had the penny drop about having a younger, talented team full of potential...is not an awful place to be.

You only have to look the teams who have been promoted in recent years from League 1, to realise this.

Leicester, Southampton, Brighton, Leeds, Norwich, Wolves, Sheffield United, Bournemouth....

A major reset is needed. The points deduction gives the players a reason not to be disheartened. Forget this season. Sell Bannan, Iorfa. Start building for next season in League 1 now.

And after a couple losses and the moans and groans start around the ground, all these all these young, hungry players realise that getting out of League 1 requires strength of character and experience to push for promotion.

Dropping into L1 will be a disaster for us and not the environment for inexperienced yet hungry players.

To a certain extent we seem to be doing that, well sort of. We aren’t exactly signing young hungry players, but we are signing a bunch of honest triers who look as if they’re comfortable bottom end championship players at best. Sweat and toil alone, will not get us out of this mess, it’s quality we need. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

To a certain extent we seem to be doing that, well sort of. We aren’t exactly signing young hungry players, but we are signing a bunch of honest triers who look as if they’re comfortable bottom end championship players at best. Sweat and toil alone, will not get us out of this mess, it’s quality we need. 

I think your wrong sweat toil are the traits in the players we are bringing in to get out of this mess this season we are going to play and win ugly can't see much free flowing football being played

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I think your wrong sweat toil are the traits in the players we are bringing in to get out of this mess this season we are going to play and win ugly can't see much free flowing football being played

I’m sure you’re 100% right on that, but I’m not sure it’s the way to go. Without the points deduction, that policy could keep us out of the bottom three, but realistically we need to attain what would normally be an upper mid table finish, to be sure of avoiding the drop. To do that, we will need quality AND sweat and toil. Just my opinion though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Going into league one with a salary cap in place is not the same as being able to build a team like they did. Anyone thinking a backward step to league one is a good thing is mistaken. We can take stock but it needs to be in this league 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m sure you’re 100% right on that, but I’m not sure it’s the way to go. Without the points deduction, that policy could keep us out of the bottom three, but realistically we need to attain what would normally be an upper mid table finish, to be sure of avoiding the drop. To do that, we will need quality AND sweat and toil. Just my opinion though

Despite your concerns on our playing style we would currently have 5 points without a deduction and would be joint 9th

Before the deadline I would love to see a striker, CB and a wing back sign. We need to give ourselves the best chance possible to stay up. With this current squad I think that will really be a struggle. So important we make signings in the next couple of days. Think Zohore will end up signing, for me I’m really not sure he is a good fit though. Is he still injured? Hope we have a couple of players close to signing that we haven’t been linked with, something to get us excited. Whilst people like Flint and Sanderson would be decent signings I don’t know if they have the quality to keep us up. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Sounds like Lees and Shaw definitely out for the weekend, others being given time, Iorfa and Palmer?

Wonder if this strengthens our resolve to bring in a first team ready replacement in Flint, considering we're now playing 2 game a week for the next month or so.