Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

4 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Jackson Irvine is nothing like Bannan he box to box tall and does score a few but he limited footballer and got to ask why hull let him go ? Could be money reasons but would av thought he’d have been a big plus in league one for them?

Totally agree, he's nothing like bannan but that doesn't fit the agenda of the poster saying let bannan go.

People who want to let bannan go and replace him with a player they don't know where he is or what he's doing, amazing. I hope they make better personal decisions.

38 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Totally agree, he's nothing like bannan but that doesn't fit the agenda of the poster saying let bannan go.

People who want to let bannan go and replace him with a player they don't know where he is or what he's doing, amazing. I hope they make better personal decisions.

When Bannan does eventually go this window or another a lot will then realise how good a player he is? Take away his assists for us last few years we’d av really struggled at times? Yes he should score more goals for his quality and yes he does sometimes spin back when a pass on easier but how many in our side can spot a pass and create as much as him( not counting brown as only just signed) ? We really will struggle to replace him in just two days and will really struggle to score enough to stay up if he goes imo 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Kachunga is 29 in April, don't know the length of his contract, but if it's more than 1 year he will be over 30, if it is for less then he can leave on a free soon.

It was a one year deal.

If Dunkley is just 30 after two years it’s hardly a disaster with him being a centre half is it.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

It was a one year deal.

If Dunkley is just 30 after two years it’s hardly a disaster with him being a centre half is it.

Not saying it would be a disaster, just that of the first 3 players you quoted being under 30 the end of their contracts, one would be 30, and the other can leave on a free very soon, or will be 30 or over if it gets extended.

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Less than 48 hours to go now. Really hope we’ve got a few surprises lined up. 

Great status update. I look forward to the following tomorrow..

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Less than 24 hours to go now. Really hope we’ve got a few surprises lined up. 

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Narrator: “they didn’t have any surprises lined up”

when has Chansiri ever not signed players near deadline? 

Cardiff Wednesday could be our new name if we bring in Zohore, Flint, Sanderson and Mendez-Laing.

We already have Harris and Paterson!

At least they would all be used to a successful way of playing and know each other’s game - Cardiff reached play-offs.

Seriously though, players knowing each other’s game is vital for us in our position where we need the new players to hit the ground running.

On Bannan, if we sell, we must replace with at least the same quality. Doubtful that we would now have the time before the window closes.

The same being quite probably true of Penney's time with St. Pauli. I actually made a point to watch his games when I could, and yes the correspondence of good results and Penney's presence in the side has a factual basis, but from what I saw, I'm hard pressed to conclude there was a causal link between the two.

I tried to respond to everything you wrote, but after trying to respond to this one I just can't find it in me to continue.... Have it your way, Penney is crap, contributes nothing and every good result with him in our side (or St Pauli's) is product of coincidence, not him busting his gut, putting in loads of good work and contributing in ways you don't seem to appreciate.

Again, he played around 130 minutes of first team football under Monk, and it seems to be enough to bin him from the side forever. His crossing was very poor against Cardiff but  it is our only win of the season so far (seems despite him, not because he did anything to contribute ?!).

Sick and tired of having to stand up for obviously talented player, who constantly gets overlooked and is never given proper chance while likes of Reach, Harris, Palmer, Fox... were given hundreds.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, malek said:

I tried to respond to everything you wrote, but after trying to respond to this one I just can't find it in me to continue.... Have it your way, Penney is crap, contributes nothing and every good result with him in our side (or St Pauli's) is product of coincidence, not him busting his gut, putting in loads of good work and contributing in ways you don't seem to appreciate.

Again, he played around 130 minutes of first team football under Monk, and it seems to be enough to bin him from the side forever. His crossing was very poor against Cardiff but  it is our only win of the season so far (seems despite him, not because he did anything to contribute ?!).

Sick and tired of having to stand up for obviously talented player, who constantly gets overlooked and is never given proper chance while likes of Reach, Harris, Palmer, Fox... were given hundreds.

An astonishing response. I had to read back over what I'd written in full twice. I have no idea how you can conclude that I think Penney is crap—indeed, I stated several times that I rate him.

I was even disappointed he'd been dropped for the Bristol City game, but I half expected it and fully understood why he had been—and just to make it clear again here, it was because his crossing was exceptionally poor. I doubt there was any other reason. There was nothing wrong with his work-rate, for example, and though both he and van Aken were targeted at times, they both got to grips eventually.

We all want to be producing players from our youth setup. It would mean a lot to a lot of us. But we also have to be putting points on the table; this season especially. When players come in they've got to perform. We can't be carrying them.

It was two consecutive games in which his crossing wasn't good enough. Yeah, Monk could've given him more time, but equally, how much time would he need to give him? It was inexplicable that his crossing was that poor—it wasn't obviously a confidence issue. Would another game be enough for him to get his range in? And it wasn't just that his crosses were over-hit (à la Palmer, or Harris), or just scuffed, they were bizarrely flat—and each time. There was nothing redeeming about them whereby you could at least say, well, I could see what he was trying to do.

I know Penney can do much better, because I've seen Penney do much better. In fact, he's got an excellent left foot on him. The kind that is very well capable of putting it on a plate for strikers—I remember one delivery in particular from last season when he was with St. Pauli—the type strikers just love (and who, in this case, duly obliged). But still, when he plays, this is what he has to be doing. Otherwise, why even play a wing-back system?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malek said:

And just to add...

3 of the 4 players you've named there have/had been dropped plenty of times—and each time, it wasn't off the back a good game. And when they've been dropped, they've had to wait for another chance, which they would duly get. And then if they don't take their chance they'll be out the team again. This is how it should be.

It will be the same for Penney. He'll get another chance, but when he does, he has to take it—and again, it shouldn't be any other way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cowl said:

An astonishing response. I had to read back over what I'd written in full twice. I have no idea how you can conclude that I think Penney is crap—indeed, I stated several times that I rate him.

I was even disappointed he'd been dropped for the Bristol City game, but I half expected it and fully understood why he had been—and just to make it clear again here, it was because his crossing was exceptionally poor. I doubt there was any other reason. There was nothing wrong with his work-rate, for example, and though both he and van Aken were targeted at times, they both got to grips eventually.

We all want to be producing players from our youth setup. It would mean a lot to a lot of us. But we also have to be putting points on the table; this season especially. When players come in they've got to perform. We can't be carrying them.

It was two consecutive games in which his crossing wasn't good enough. Yeah, Monk could've given him more time, but equally, how much time would he need to give him? It was inexplicable that his crossing was that poor—it wasn't obviously a confidence issue. Would another game be enough for him to get his range in? And it wasn't just that his crosses were over-hit (à la Palmer, or Harris), or just scuffed, they were bizarrely flat—and each time. There was nothing redeeming about them whereby you could at least say, well, I could see what he was trying to do.

I know Penney can do much better, because I've seen Penney do much better. In fact, he's got an excellent left foot on him. The kind that is very well capable of putting it on a plate for strikers—I remember one delivery in particular from last season when he was with St. Pauli—the type strikers just love (and who, in this case, duly obliged). But still, when he plays, this is what he has to be doing. Otherwise, why even play a wing-back system?

First to say how I failed to mentioned what a well thought out and educated post you wrote. I respected very much both you and your opinion. 

No, you never sad he is a poor player or that he is poor crosser of the ball. 

I have big issues how you failed to see what he brings to the team and his role in good results he was part of. His high pressing is top notch (we failed to replicate it with him out of side), his transitional game as well. He does awful of lot good work off the ball. 

Regarding his crossing against Watford. If I'm not mistake, although he often offered option he tried to put only couple of times, both under pressure. Both of those won us corner that is not such a poor return. 

But we know he can cross the ball. One game he failed to delivered them is enough to get them dropped?! Harris is putting in poor crosses for most of his time with us. 

BTW. Against Cardiff I asked myself why is he not substituting him as poor lad run himself into ground. Compare that with Reach who put in 90 minutes less miles than Penney did in 75 against Watford (and that is a fact). 

All in all, if we were doing well and getting results, I wouldn't be here posting about Matt Penney. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cowl said:

And just to add...

3 of the 4 players you've named there have/had been dropped plenty of times—and each time, it wasn't off the back a good game. And when they've been dropped, they've had to wait for another chance, which they would duly get. And then if they don't take their chance they'll be out the team again. This is how it should be.

It will be the same for Penney. He'll get another chance, but when he does, he has to take it—and again, it shouldn't be any other way.

But that is what I'm saying. What he did wrong? Sure, against Cardiff his crossing was poor, but we played our best football than, won and looked good. Is that reason to drop him?! We certainly look worst side without him in our starting 11. 

12 minutes ago, malek said:

First to say how I failed to mentioned what a well thought out and educated post you wrote. I respected very much both you and your opinion. 

No, you never sad he is a poor player or that he is poor crosser of the ball. 

I have big issues how you failed to see what he brings to the team and his role in good results he was part of. His high pressing is top notch (we failed to replicate it with him out of side), his transitional game as well. He does awful of lot good work off the ball. 

Regarding his crossing against Watford. If I'm not mistake, although he often offered option he tried to put only couple of times, both under pressure. Both of those won us corner that is not such a poor return. 

But we know he can cross the ball. One game he failed to delivered them is enough to get them dropped?! Harris is putting in poor crosses for most of his time with us. 

BTW. Against Cardiff I asked myself why is he not substituting him as poor lad run himself into ground. Compare that with Reach who put in 90 minutes less miles than Penney did in 75 against Watford (and that is a fact). 

All in all, if we were doing well and getting results, I wouldn't be here posting about Matt Penney. 

His work rate is good and is a credit to him, but like I say, it's not, I suspect, the reason he was dropped. Being able and willing to put the hard-yards in on the pitch is a prerequisite of being a wing-back, and if Penney lacked this, I doubt we'd even be having this discussion.

But really, there's no need to see Penney's absence from the team as such a catastrophe to his chances of making it with us. I don't think it's unreasonable to acknowledge it's an inevitable part of the process. Players need to keep their standards high, and it's hard to do this if sub-par performances are permitted for too long (of course, sometimes there's no choice—but that's never a good thing).

I'd also suggest that it was noteworthy that Penney didn't just merely find-himself out of the starting 11, but out of the matchday 18 (even if he did travel to down Bristol), and furthermore, back with the U23s. It's noteworthy because it would otherwise seem excessive, but perhaps (putting two and two together) that's the point; to get him to focus on making the most of his opportunity when he gets it. That's (just) speculation, I know, but it's at least some comfort to take from his having been dropped—that it's part of an effort to get him to double-up his efforts and come back stronger. Obviously, this is the realm of sports psychology, and there's usually no way of knowing from the outside what the management do in order to get more from the players, but maybe they feel this is the way to get more from Penney?

As for the other players not being dropped when their performances haven't been up to it. I'm sure I probably agree with you. You mention Harris in particular, and really, you're pushing against an open door there—his end product is extremely frustrating the vast majority of the time; in fact, I've never know a player so consistently balloon crosses and shots as much as Harris does. I actually think he's been lucky to have had as many minutes as he has. But really rather than try to ‘even the score’ by giving other players more opportunities than they deserve as well, I'd rather we be more willing to drop players when they don't hit the levels they need to be.

Derby are considering a surprise move for much-travelled striker Colin Kazim-Richards after the former Turkey star trained with the Championship club.

The Rams are desperate to improve their options in attack after a slow start to the campaign and Sportsmail understands Kazim-Richards is one of the players they have considered.

The 34-year-old is believed to be a free agent – meaning he would not have to be signed before Friday's EFL deadline – after playing for 17 clubs in eight different countries in his senior career. He was last with Pachuca in the Mexican top flight.

5 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Not saying it would be a disaster, just that of the first 3 players you quoted being under 30 the end of their contracts, one would be 30, and the other can leave on a free very soon, or will be 30 or over if it gets extended.

Kachunga wouldn’t be as he won’t be 30 next year. Not sure how long Paterson is here but he’s only 26, granted Dunkley might have just turned 30 but I think the general point I was making stands. 

56 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Derby are considering a surprise move for much-travelled striker Colin Kazim-Richards after the former Turkey star trained with the Championship club.

The Rams are desperate to improve their options in attack after a slow start to the campaign and Sportsmail understands Kazim-Richards is one of the players they have considered.

The 34-year-old is believed to be a free agent – meaning he would not have to be signed before Friday's EFL deadline – after playing for 17 clubs in eight different countries in his senior career. He was last with Pachuca in the Mexican top flight.

Imagine if that was us!