Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Think reach is the best bet for that slot out of wot we have and unlikely to sign anyone for that position? He got a good engine can cross a ball and capable of scoring admittedly tackling isn’t his greatest asset 😳 but Penney has only shown glimpses . Harris cuts in too much for my liking and think given a run of games reach will be our best option for that role? Only good thing with playing 3 cb is he covered behind him do tackling not as important as playing left back?

• Like 3

Guest wilyfox
42 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Nah not in my book, not from the wing back position anyway He doesn’t try to get to the byline or ever seem to take on his man

how do you think we scored against QPR?! ..Reach ghosting in behind, Bannan dinked the ball over the top, Reach ran to the byline and slid the ball across the box. That was classic Reach, intelligent movement off the ball for Bannan & Brown to pick out. He won’t square up a defender like Harris does. Reach doesn’t have that skills set. That’s why we MUST replace Murphy before deadline. Penney has produced chuff all so far. Needs consistency. 

Can see rose signing for a championship club 

way too good for this league but if that’s legit he’s coming to the championship it will show our ambition, if hector is available too that would be one double swoop for the defence 

we could all but dream as dillusional as they are 

I’d rather we played 3-4-1-2 like Wolves did in this league and have the wide players responsible for creating chances as well as defending.  If we are going to rely on Brown (Injured) and Bannan to create most of our chances then we are going to have a lot of similar games this season (draws and narrow defeats). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fitz44 said:

I see Dawson has gone to west ham from Watford. Hope that doesn't mean Iorfa is going there as per recent rumours.

He isn't getting anywhere close to their starting XI, I highly doubt Watford will splash the money needed to get Iorfa for what would be a backup.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well he can tackle for a start

Wing-backs are primarily offensive players though, even if like all outfield players they'll also have a responsibility when it comes to defending, but even then it's often as much about them keeping shape rather than going in full Julian Dicks on the opposition.

Last season when we started putting Murphy at wing-back he was our shining light—and that absolutely wasn't for his defending, because, after all, when it came to a tackle he's in the same bracket as Reach for that.

For now, I'm more than happy to see Reach get an extended run at LWB. If his first game for us there were an audition, creating as he did our only goal, you'd surely at least be calling him back for a second reading? 

Penney, on the other hand, failed to really take his chance. And again, as if to reiterate that a wing-back's raison d'être is as an offensive player first and foremost, it wasn't on account of any woeful defending that he's found himself back with the 23's, but rather because of his wastefulness in the final third; his crossing was extremely poor (and I know he can do much, much better).

Of course, should any wing-back prove to be calamitous in any defending they're called on to do, then I'd expect they'd find themselves out of the team also, unless, maybe if they're contributions at the other end of the pitch are such that the pros still outweigh the cons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

need productivity in wide areas. Reach is better than Penney.

Reach played over 100 games for us, Penney played 15 in 3 years. You expect consistency without giving player fair run in the team. 

If anything we played our best football this season with him in our starting 11.

So far we got 4 points in games where he started, 1 when he didn't. 

Last season St Pauli won 3 times more points in games he started than in games where he didn't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

It ain’t half quiet with players being linked etc. 

Just wait till 3am. Batshit statement from DC offering 1000 year Kop tickets in solid gold seats. Coupled with the signing of Jamie Vardy and an unknown Romanian keeper.

• Haha 4

Just now, malek said:

Reach played over 100 games for us, Penney played 15 in 3 years. You expect consistency without giving player fair run in the team. 

If anything we played our best football this season with him in our starting 11.

So far we got 4 points in games where he started, 1 when he didn't. 

Last season St Pauli won 3 times more points in games he started than in games where he didn't. 

And how many of those 100 games has Reach played as a wing-back?

This isn't really about Penney though.

It's about seeing whether Reach has something to offer in the role of left wing back; he ought to be able to do because there's something of a natural fit there.

Should it not work out, I've no doubt Penney will get another shot at it, but if/when he does, he quite simply has to take his chance.

I believe in Penney actually, I know he's got some good qualities, but he's got to get his head in the right place when he starts games.