Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

Really do hope we manage to bring in a couple of players before the deadline, loan or sell Westwood and allow a couple of the young lads to go out on loan. If we don’t manage to bring a striker in it’s going to be a hell of a tough few months. Very frustrating we have left things so late especially with us starting on -12. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

There is, still 2 and a bit days left to sign somebody. 

Hopefully negotiations going on behind the scenes which will solve some of our problems. 

It doesn't make sense for the club to declare their transfer targets to the world. It alerts other clubs and possibly pushes the price up if more than 1 club involved. 

Chill and be patient with everything crossed that something happens before 5pm on Thursday. 

I love the way these threads go. FFS it’s only June FFS it’s on only July FFS it’s only August FFS it’s only September FFS there’s still two weeks left FFS there’s still two days left FFS there’s still two hours FFS there’s only 2 minutes. FFS!!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We are on -8 points. We need a striker. Ideally someone who has scored goals at this level. 

Who else is out there and available other than Zohore? 

Sorry to be a pedant, but we are on -7, so its not that bad! 😀

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

13 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I love the way these threads go. FFS it’s only June FFS it’s on only July FFS it’s only August FFS it’s only September FFS there’s still two weeks left FFS there’s still two days left FFS there’s still two hours FFS there’s only 2 minutes. FFS!!!!!

Complete agree we should have had two strikers in for the start of the season and we would now not be sitting on -7 but less. Watford we should have won with a striker instead of a central defender with Iorfa and Lees chances then QPR, Reach and Bannan put it on a plate for a striker - Windass missed both - luckily the CB put one in for us. That's 4 points dropped already in 4 games by not having a striker on the end of chances.

Had we taken our chance in the first half of the Bristol City game we could have equally ended up with some points from that too.

• Like 1

How on earth is it good news?

We are in desperate need of a number 9. Zohore has been our main target for the past month or so. Now he looks likely to join a rival, leaving us with two days to find someone better.

News flash - we won’t. 

According to their local press Albion are in advanced talks with us now that they have virtually signed Grant. No rival club is mentioned.

1 hour ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I've often said we don't pay enough attention to the lower leagues. Watched the Bradford City v Harrogate match the other day and couldn't help but think Harrogate had a couple of players there that were better than some on our books.

CB Smith looked better than JVA and midfield lad MOM, Falkingham, had more about him than Joey. Of course you'd need to see them over a number of matches but I'll bet there are some other very decent players throughout the division playing for clubs that are desperate for money at present.

I thought the same about the two players you have mentioned. Bradford had a young player - Staunton I think - that looked OK too. Not saying we should always look to L2 for players, but we never seem to take a punt on them do we.

Just now, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

I thought the same about the two players you have mentioned. Bradford had a young player - Staunton I think - that looked OK too. Not saying we should always look to L2 for players, but we never seem to take a punt on them do we.

No, and with interest in Flint and Zohore you have to question whether we have really learned from past mistakes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

I think it would be good to look for younger players with EFL experience down the divisions with a view to developing them over a couple of years. But both Pelupessy and Van Aken would look good at that level. Maghoma bossed league 2 scoring 22 from attacking mid but became average in this league as did Bogle. 

There are of course others who have done well such as Watkins (who a few of us mentioned at the time) and Andre Gray so i think there needs to be a mixed strategy for development and the here and now. With FDB and the crop of players from our academy (2gk, Shaw, Penny, Hunt) Thats already six of the squad in the first team development stage so we do need some quality for the here and now to beat the deduction.

Even if zohore and flint are expensive loans they are only here for less than a season. It’s not like signing them up for 4 years.

6 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

No, and with interest in Flint and Zohore you have to question whether we have really learned from past mistakes.

You have to ask why clubs like Brentford can constantly keep finding these lower league gems yet we can't. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Why would signing two players who are typically good enough for the top half of this league on loan for a brief period be like past mistakes? If we just go down the future development route ie Barnsley’s approach we will go straight down with a deduction. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

You have to ask why clubs like Brentford can constantly keep finding these lower league gems yet we can't. 

Some of these players are obvious like Ryan Woods, Watkins, Gray, Hogan. I’m not sure why “bigger” clubs never take the punt until later.

However, there is the valid point that if you stuck a Peterborough or Brentford side in a Wednesday or Leeds shirt in front of their crowd and you’d see a different team and not in a good way 

We are on -8 points. We need a striker. Ideally someone who has scored goals at this level. 

Who else is out there and available other than Zohore? 

It doesn't matter who is or isn't available if they're not good enough. Zahore isn't good enough. It would be a pointless signing and a colossal waste of money.

• Like 2

But I thought we were only signing hungry young players. Replacing fletcher with Zahore and Hutchinson with flint isn’t the sort of change we were told to expect. Not sure we will have saved much on wages and very questionable whether we have improved the team

Edited by Plonk
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Can you imagine Brentford signing a player like Paterson? No way in the world would they invest that sort of money in someone who wasn’t comfortable on the ball. Also, if they had 4 or 5 experienced centre backs, and they felt they needed more cover, they would be looking in the lower leagues or Europe, for a younger player they could bring on. As someone mentioned earlier, we don’t seem to have learned the lessons from before We are still looking to bring in ageing players, even to act as back up It’s madness

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can you imagine Brentford signing a player like Paterson? No way in the world would they invest that sort of money in someone who wasn’t comfortable on the ball. Also, if they had 4 or 5 experienced centre backs, and they felt they needed more cover, they would be looking in the lower leagues or Europe, for a younger player they could bring on. As someone mentioned earlier, we don’t seem to have learned the lessons from before We are still looking to bring in ageing players, even to act as back up It’s madness

What are the ages of the players we have signed so far? Are they all aging?