Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread 2020-2021

7 minutes ago, splan80 said:

For me I still want to pursue younger more hungry players. I just don't think the zahore deal represents enough value imo (hope to be proven wrong if he signs of course). 

I'd much rather go for like of sanderson and Abrahams as mentioned for that money. 

I also hope a couple of loans in Sims (better gamble than zahore for me) and I don't think Roberts was a bad shout either based on our needs. Would also make switching formations when needed easier (as I think Monk doesn't gamble enough, always like for like). 

That would suit me. Got a good mix of experience through enough positions, young players trying to show parent clubs they are ready and a few of our own we can develop. I think that is good enough for a mid table finish in a normal season, so we can survive with that. 

It would also suggest going forward to other PL clubs that we can be trusted to develop fringe players, not just take their crap. 

So what I'm saying is zahore will sign for 30k a week and a 3m loan fee, 12m transfer next season and that's all we do..... 😯🧐

There is no chance we will pay a loan fee of £3million 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

Not really....

3/4 years. 

The length of a contract. That was the age we signed the likes of Bannan and Forestieri. If we are looking to make money from the Premier League clubs, they generally pay big on players from the championship who are 24 or under

Edited by gurujuan

40 minutes ago, splan80 said:

For me I still want to pursue younger more hungry players. I just don't think the zahore deal represents enough value imo (hope to be proven wrong if he signs of course). 

I'd much rather go for like of sanderson and Abrahams as mentioned for that money. 

I also hope a couple of loans in Sims (better gamble than zahore for me) and I don't think Roberts was a bad shout either based on our needs. Would also make switching formations when needed easier (as I think Monk doesn't gamble enough, always like for like). 

That would suit me. Got a good mix of experience through enough positions, young players trying to show parent clubs they are ready and a few of our own we can develop. I think that is good enough for a mid table finish in a normal season, so we can survive with that. 

It would also suggest going forward to other PL clubs that we can be trusted to develop fringe players, not just take their crap. 

So what I'm saying is zahore will sign for 30k a week and a 3m loan fee, 12m transfer next season and that's all we do..... 😯🧐

Abrahams... which Abrahams?

20 minutes ago, sheffwed1 said:

Not really....

3/4 years. 

Aye, you get 3 years out of them while the club stagnates from the overspend, and then they're worth nowt.

Rhodes and Bannan the two prime examples... who's gonna fork out big bucks for either? I appreciate the former has been a relative failure, but the latter keeps being lauded as one of the best CM's in the Championship... realistically he's probably worth a couple of million at most due to his age.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

They seem willing to gamble on young talents We talk about doing the same, but always end up signing players with less talent, but a bit more experience

Apart from promoting 4/5 players from the youth team and signing two from premier league youth sides?

I wouldn’t want a team of youth alone in this situation, we need experience too. Still, the average age of our signings will be mid to low 20s.

Swansea have the former England youth team manager don’t they? Which no doubt helped them with Brewster and perhaps one or two others. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Aye, you get 3 years out of them while the club stagnates from the overspend, and then they're worth nowt.

Rhodes and Bannan the two prime examples... who's gonna fork out big bucks for either? I appreciate the former has been a relative failure, but the latter keeps being lauded as one of the best CM's in the Championship... realistically he's probably worth a couple of million at most due to his age.

Clubs need to choose whether they are just there to churn players or try and get promoted. We went too far in one direction, it nearly worked but cost us when it didn’t. But the current way seems to be trying to find a balance a bit more.

If we want to make really big money on a player we need someone from the u23s to become a first team star. That’s what we are looking for with FDB, Adedoyin, Alex Hunt, Penney etc. 

We’re coming towards the end of the window and so far we’ve done ok. I wouldn’t say it’s been brilliant but it’s been better than expected given the disadvantage of the points deduction.

I thought given the FDB signing and the early links with Simmonds and Griffifths, we were going to recruit differently this season particularly given Monk’s supposed preference for young hungry players. It’s not turned out that way and the recruitment has to a certain extent mirrored last year.

I’m expecting any youth in the squad to come via the Academy and I wouldn’t be surprised if 5/6 Academy graduates are firmly entrenched in the team/squad come the end of the season. I’m expecting Hunt to push Bannan and Shaw possibly to be one of the defensive 3 by the end of the season?

Will we stay up? I hope so. I’m concerned that we’re not going to score enough goals and with Westwood seemingly on his way, we’re left with the goalkeeping equivalent of Ernie and Bert and unfortunately this could lead us on a one way Sesame Street to League 1?

Edited by Jim

27 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Apart from promoting 4/5 players from the youth team and signing two from premier league youth sides?

I wouldn’t want a team of youth alone in this situation, we need experience too. Still, the average age of our signings will be mid to low 20s.

Swansea have the former England youth team manager don’t they? Which no doubt helped them with Brewster and perhaps one or two others. 

I’m sure what you say about the Swansea coach is true, it does help. Neither would I want a team of youth players, we do need a blend. Of our five permanent signings, only one, FDB is a young player, the other four of a similar age to when we signed Bannan and Forestieri under Carlos. I don’t think there is anything wrong with those players, but we do need to balance it out with some younger signings. Re those promoted from our own academy, in all honesty I’m not sure we can say they were promoted on merit. However, having been promoted to the first team, they certainly didn’t let anyone down. Other than Hunt though, none are yet ready to be part of the first team squad. That’s not being harsh, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the way they held their own, but anyone who watches the U23s regularly, is likely to tell you they have a long way to go. We saw it with Jos, throwing in youngsters, who in reality weren’t really good enough, and have all fallen by the wayside. 
It’s natural to want to see home produced youngsters in and around the first team squad, but we need to make sure they are there on merit Just my opinion mind

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’m sure what you say about the Swansea coach is true, it does help. Neither would I want a team of youth players, we do need a blend. Of our five permanent signings, only one, FDB is a young player, the other four of a similar age to when we signed Bannan and Forestieri under Carlos. I don’t think there is anything wrong with those players, but we do need to balance it out with some younger signings. Re those promoted from our own academy, in all honesty I’m not sure we can say they were promoted on merit. However, having been promoted to the first team, they certainly didn’t let anyone down. Other than Hunt though, none are yet ready to be part of the first team squad. That’s not being harsh, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the way they held their own, but anyone who watches the U23s regularly, is likely to tell you they have a long way to go. We saw it with Jos, throwing in youngsters, who in reality weren’t really good enough, and have all fallen by the wayside. 
It’s natural to want to see home produced youngsters in and around the first team squad, but we need to make sure they are there on merit Just my opinion mind

Hunt, Dawson, Wildsmith, Penney all promoted from our academy and most of those have a lot of games under their belt now. Add FDB and Adedoyin in as pushing for the first team from premier league academy. 

If we could get more younger players in who are good enough then great but it’s not accurate to suggest we are only interested in using experienced players.  

8 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Hunt, Dawson, Wildsmith, Penney all promoted from our academy and most of those have a lot of games under their belt now. Add FDB and Adedoyin in as pushing for the first team from premier league academy. 

If we could get more younger players in who are good enough then great but it’s not accurate to suggest we are only interested in using experienced players.  

Agreed, though the thrust of my argument was about players we sign from other clubs At the end of the day it is about balance though

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Agreed, though the thrust of my argument was about players we sign from other clubs At the end of the day it is about balance though

I get that but if we have an academy where we think there are some there worth persevering with there’s no point blocking them with young players from elsewhere and paying for them 

I do hope DC has learned lessons re finances and that we don't end up spending millions on wages and loan fees because that is what has got us into the mess we're in now. Given the current situation it is even more important that we are prudent. There are good players in the lower leagues that cost a lot less than we're offering to pay for Zahore in wages. IMO this is where we should be looking.

• Like 1

Think the decisive thing with Zohore is who else will pay the money wba are asking. Even those expected to be around the top of the league may be reluctant to spend that sort of money given the precarious state of the game ? So we are probably in the driving seat in waiting to see if wba do in fact blink first. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Think the decisive thing with Zohore is who else will pay the money wba are asking. Even those expected to be around the top of the league may be reluctant to spend that sort of money given the precarious state of the game ? So we are probably in the driving seat in waiting to see if wba do in fact blink first. 

Probably correct, wouldn't surprise me to see us linked to someone else before deadline day to further add some pressure to West Brom..... assuming that no other team is in for him

Just now, nbupperthongowl said:

Probably correct, wouldn't surprise me to see us linked to someone else before deadline day to further add some pressure to West Brom..... assuming that no other team is in for him

The international break means we are not so pressed to do a deal, so I certainly wouldn't be upping what is reputedly a very good offer. If another club wants to top it we just look elsewhere IMO. TBH I'm not sure Zahore is a value-for-money option anyway.