Players need to go - Monk

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

I think in Monk (or Rowett who was linked) we’ve got as good as we can get for a team looking to punch above it’s weight. 

If the finger pointing from him continued after a couple of windows it would wear thin. But truth be told we’ve been soft for a long time. The likes of Fletcher and Luongo have helped with that but neither have been available. Kieren Lee isn’t the same player, Forestieri seems to be on his wind down, Hutchinson continues to struggle for consistency. Then we have a bench full of academy players. On the whole Bruce’s signings were good ones, another summer should see some real change if we can survive a points deduction.

Unless there is clear signs that we are improving he won't be allowed 2 transfer windows.

He hasn't been able to bring any of his back room staff in which to me indicates that we were looking for a quick fix.

Clubs like ours with owners who want premiership status won't hang about if things don't improve. He will be gone at the end of the season if things don't look like they are on the up.

We do do forget that we're Sheffield Wednesday in the championship, Not Man City in the EPL.

We won't have access to many (if any) 'perfect' players unless we stumble upon them.

By perfect I mean in attitude, fitness and ability. We really can only acquire players under just one of attributes rather than two or three. it's either steady Eddies, volatile brilliance or serial crocks. We’ve had not enough consistent steady players, and too many injury prone and/or volatile players because it's been deemed they're the best option for our situtation. High ability players with baggage. If they didn't have that baggage we probably couldn't have signed them as they'd be in the EPL. I think this has been a long standing mistake.

We need a core set of strong, consistent leaders making up the team 7/8 who may not ever be world beaters but know their own and each other’s jobs inside out and work as a team. Supplemented by 2 players who can make that difference. Any player who even threaterns to unsettle the team needs kicking out straight away. Which is why I was one of those who thought FF should have been allowed to leave after his...strike.

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 23:37, Hirstys Salopettes said:

whilst I agree with the sentiment, the really worrying thing IMHO is that of tonight’s starting XI half (odubajo, Borner, Iorfa, Murphy, Harris) of the outfield players were brought to club in the summer ... it’s like the malaise affecting the club swamps newcomers too 

You don't need many rotten apples to turn the whole team sour.

If you are aware of just one player in your team who isn't pulling their weight or if they are working in a different direction it is not too hard to imagine what you and your teammates will start thinking when it's your turn.

10 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Monk has history with this sort of behaviour, he seems to rub people up the wrong way Respect has to be earned

I'm sorry mate, but I think you are completely wrong here. These players earn a fortune and should be running through brick walls for the club who employ them. That's their job. Supporters and the manager can accept defeats if the players have given their all. These players have no fight, they can't be arsed. This has been evident for the last two years. I will support any player who sheds blood for Wednesday, regardless of good they are. But my patience has run out with this lot. 

It's about time a Wednesday manager hung them out to dry. Monk inherited this shower of shiete don't forget. 

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I'm sorry mate, but I think you are completely wrong here. These players earn a fortune and should be running through brick walls for the club who employ them. That's their job. Supporters and the manager can accept defeats if the players have given their all. These players have no fight, they can't be arsed. This has been evident for the last two years. I will support any player who sheds blood for Wednesday, regardless of good they are. But my patience has run out with this lot. 

It's about time a Wednesday manager hung them out to dry. Monk inherited this shower of shiete don't forget. 

Which players was he referring to then? Of those who started, did he mean the 6 lads who were signed by Bruce? Our midfield dynamo, Bannan? Maybe the more limited, but hard working trio Nuhiu, Fox and Winnall? Surely not young Dawson?

Edited by gurujuan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Which players was he referring to then? Of those who started, did he mean the 6 lads who were signed by Bruce? Our midfield dynamo, Bannan? Maybe the more limited, but hard working trio Nuhiu, Fox and Winnall? Surely not young Dawson?

He wasn't just on about the Wigan game though was he?

Though it (with Blackburn) appears to be the straw that broke the camels back.

• (That lack of desire) It’s reared it’s head more in this last month but I’ve always known it’s been there

• You see in critical moments the true character and the true desire and that’s what you judge it off. I’ve sat here many times protecting my teams and protecting my players but you can’t protect that, you can’t kid people.

• You have to be honest. I’ve seen that more often that I’d have liked in the past month and there’s no sugar coating that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Would you want any of our players if you were a manager? 

Blatantly obvious that no one wants any of our players including Monk. Hardly been beating the gates down at Hillsborough have they? The ones who's contracts terminate in the Summer will be the first to leave and will just be throw`n it off until then.

4 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Unless there is clear signs that we are improving he won't be allowed 2 transfer windows.

He hasn't been able to bring any of his back room staff in which to me indicates that we were looking for a quick fix.

Clubs like ours with owners who want premiership status won't hang about if things don't improve. He will be gone at the end of the season if things don't look like they are on the up.

I don’t think so. There have been too many factors this season outside monks control and it’s work in progress. Chansiri is fairly loyal, Jos was shocking and still got a lot of time. 

Monk needs to be judged next season. I think he’s done ok with an awkward situation and has had us up there most of the time. 

4 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Again we have no idea what is happening. 

But in my opinion it seems to be this chain of events with Westwood. He has a nightmare game, screwing up costing the game, next we hear us he's injured, self proclaimed but not under club medical team. Now he is fit supposedly. 

Do you think maybe he's just not had his snickers and he's acting like an arrogant diva?

Possibly - but how does this even happen at a football club. It's too easy for players to say, 'I'm not playing/not playing in that position', or as you suggest feigning injury.

Westwood is fit, according to Monk. He's our no1. He's not on the bench and our U23 keeper is. He signed a new contract in the summer on a good championship wage. Why wouldn't Westwood be on the bench pushing Dawson; waiting for his chance?

It seems to me that senior player power and weak management are rife at Hillsborough and has been for several years.

8 minutes ago, Animis said:

Possibly - but how does this even happen at a football club. It's too easy for players to say, 'I'm not playing/not playing in that position', or as you suggest feigning injury.

Westwood is fit, according to Monk. He's our no1. He's not on the bench and our U23 keeper is. He signed a new contract in the summer on a good championship wage. Why wouldn't Westwood be on the bench pushing Dawson; waiting for his chance?

It seems to me that senior player power and weak management are rife at Hillsborough and has been for several years.

I agree but your last sentence could also easily be rewritten as disruptive and subordinate senior players are dropped from the first team setup as an example to the rest of the squad.

Monk clearly has views of what is acceptable and and what isn't.

That's my opinion.

But in reality no one knows except them.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Bannan is deffo one of the main culprits . It’s his show , an attacking midfielder who can’t score and sits in his own box . Would love to see him moved on with many others 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

I don’t think so. There have been too many factors this season outside monks control and it’s work in progress. Chansiri is fairly loyal, Jos was shocking and still got a lot of time. 

Monk needs to be judged next season. I think he’s done ok with an awkward situation and has had us up there most of the time. 

Like you I think he has done OK not a bad job but not a good job, no significant improvement on Bullen and if that continues I don't think it would be good enough for him to keep his job.

He doesn't appear to have had the backing that Bruce had. As I said the alarm bells rang for me when he didn't bring any of his own people, I am sure he would have liked to.

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Surely we are going to be able to get a couple of players out on loan before tomorrow’s deadline. 

We deffo need someat,see Nakki Wells has gone to Bristol for less than 4mill,would have loved to have seen him up front with Fletcher,can see us ending up with nobody,looks like Wickham is staying at Palace,

35 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Like you I think he has done OK not a bad job but not a good job, no significant improvement on Bullen and if that continues I don't think it would be good enough for him to keep his job.

He doesn't appear to have had the backing that Bruce had. As I said the alarm bells rang for me when he didn't bring any of his own people, I am sure he would have liked to.

I think results picked up after he came in. Bullen had been running out of steam a bit.

I think Bruce was a charismatic guy and he also acted as an advisor to the chairman. Whether monk has that clout with DC I don’t know. 

I think finances are dictating backroom staff and sacking a manager to replace like for like would be more costly. I can’t see a better candidate than monk that would come.

I honestly think that whatever tactics the manger uses that this bunch of lazy couldn't give a fizz time servers would make no difference. 

All I want is that they work is that too much to ask. 

Monk was right to call them out he's tried the arm round the shoulder he's tried cajoling now hes basically told them to fizz off nowt wrong with that.