Porridge lovers target Dawson

32 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Rangers in the hunt apparently as of 2 days ago too.

Money talks, but so does loyalty.

One will win over the other, only time will tell which.    I'm not sure we will be offering the largest cash incentive to our boy Dawson. 

I don't know anything about Cameron Dawson but if I were him, all loyalty aside, I'd be struggling right now because you are not a footballer for long in this life.   I do however hope he thinks he can be our No1 for the next 10 years, and that may persuade him.

Agree 100%.  Sure, Wednesday would like to keep Dawson, but it's up to Dawson whether or not to accept a new contract.  I don't doubt that others have their eyes on him, only Dawson can decide where he wants to play, if in fact he's getting offers.  He (Dawson) has a lot to consider, because like you say, Salmonbones, the playing life of most footballers is short, got to make your money fast, and save it, because after that, you'll be on "workmans wages", if you can find a job.  

16 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

55,000 fans, a million pounds a season, playing in Europe. 

And we can offer?

A better standard of football in a more competitive league?

But the pre-season games we lose in Portugal won't be labelled as 'Champions League Qualifiers'

24 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

How much did you think we would get for Thorniley?

And you have no idea we will lose those two for free.

I don't know, neither do you, but we got in position to lose both for nothing (or small compensation fee in Penney's case). Surely you can't say it was a good work by the club ?! 

Can't imagine Blackpool paid a lot for Thorniley although I'm guessing as clubs didn't want to make fee public. Selling young and proven Championship defender doesn't seem good deal for me right now. Sadly in this window Blackpool comes across as more ambitious side then us.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Shows how many two faced people are on here 

18 month ago they was hounding him out ,now its offer a new deal 

He was always our future number 1.

Unfortunately, some people 18 months ago gave him all the stick they should have stuck on Jos.

I think the way those 'fans' turned on him could be on his mind and may influence him to leave.

However, those 'fans' seem to love him now so maybe he'll be happy he's won them over.

2 minutes ago, malek said:

I don't know, neither do you, but we got in position to lose both for nothing (or small compensation fee in Penney's case). Surely you can't say it was a good work by the club ?! 

Can't imagine Blackpool paid a lot for Thorniley although I'm guessing as clubs didn't want to make fee public. Selling young and proven Championship defender doesn't seem good deal for me right now. Sadly in this window Blackpool comes across as more ambitious side then us.

We have done nothing wrong with Dawson or Penney. Both are playing to get experience and increase their value.  We really werent getting that much for someone like Thorniley. And what has he provern. Being no more than average and being quite a bit behind other options. Its good business to sign Borner on free and Iorfa for peanuts than rely on Thornley. 

And signing Thorniley is hardly ambituous ffs.

We have more ambition than Blackpool and are constrained by EFL rather than a lack of ambition.

lol

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, malek said:

We sold Thorniley for peanuts and there is a realistic chance that we will lose Dawson and Penney for free...

Would love to see us looking towards future bit more.

thorniley as probably found his level and what we got for him is more than likely his worth ……..yes theres a chance the other two could go for free but I doubt that will happen . you have to balance things up with young players was giving wildsmith a 5 year contract a good deal possibly not but young players are a gamble . …..there was a thread on here recently about Richie Humphreys who was flavour of the month and  got himself a good contract and hardly played for 2 years due to him turning out to be crap at the level we were at but we couldn't get rid ……...we looked to the future with jack stobbs and gave him a good contract .that's not going to work out either . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

thorniley as probably found his level and what we got for him is more than likely his worth ……..yes theres a chance the other two could go for free but I doubt that will happen . you have to balance things up with young players was giving wildsmith a 5 year contract a good deal possibly not but young players are a gamble . …..there was a thread on here recently about Richie Humphreys who was flavour of the month and  got himself a good contract and hardly played for 2 years due to him turning out to be crap at the level we were at but we couldn't get rid ……...we looked to the future with jack stobbs and gave him a good contract .that's not going to work out either . 

But somewhere along the line we turned down 3m from Leeds for Humphreys and offer to swap him for Pigs Vos Borbokis. In my opinion both deals would justify good contract we gave him. All in all we gambled, made some poor decisions and lost. Just like we made with fair few youngsters after him.

In my opinion, giving someone like Wildsmith 5 years long deal was a joke, and then letting our other talented youngsters contracts run into their last 6 months is a joke.

Regarding Thorniley. In my opinion, he did really well when given chance with us and never let us down. Certainly a player who had place in our squad, hope we got a bit for him.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

We need to sign him up ASAP. If he must move, I hope he chooses the right side of Glasgow. I couldn’t bear to see him in a septic shirt. Even worse than the pigs.