Brighton tho...

18 minutes ago, alanharper said:

75% of their current "support" didn't want to know back then though and only started going when they got bought a new ground and a decent team. 

And it's not as if they used to sell out the old ground and can pull out the "couldn't get a ticket excuse. They just couldn't be arsed until the going got good, most plastic fanbase in football along with Hull for whom the exact same applies. 

I said this years ago about them, they built that new stadium and all of a sudden these "supporters" turned up from nowhere. 

The grounds not actually in Brighton itself is it? I might be wrong though lol

3 hours ago, Half time Bovril said:

The irony is they know we are a bigger club than them. So we do seem massive in comparison. When they came to a bouncing full Hillsborough in the playoffs they saw something they can never replicate.  What a night that was.

They tried to use those clapper things to make it “special” for the 2nd leg...

:duntmatter:

Now that is desperate! 

Never liked them, relegated us to league one and their fans just seem stuck up their own delusional bums. Even have to create some rivalry with a club from London... they do realise Crystal Palace is about 45 miles away don’t they!? 

So yeah, tinpot. F.uck ‘em.

36 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

I said this years ago about them, they built that new stadium and all of a sudden these "supporters" turned up from nowhere. 

The grounds not actually in Brighton itself is it? I might be wrong though lol

Are clubs not allowed to attract new 'supporters' then? 

Is it really surprising that a whole load of people who never wanted to go and watch them playing Port Vale while standing in a garden shed about 100m from the pitch now enjoy going to the modern facilities to watch decent players and top opposition?

The 'glory' days of being herded on the terraces and using toilets with pish up to your ankles have gone. The clubs that have worked this out and offer a better matchday 'experience' are attracting new fans and reaping the rewards. The ones that sit back and take advantage of fans, safe in the knowledge that they are a 'big club' and the fans will come anyway languish in obscurity, totally irrelevant to 2 or maybe 3 generations of football fans.

It's no accident that the forward thinking clubs like Norwich, Bournemouth and Brighton are flourishing whilst others become less and less likely to ever recover former glories.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

10-15 minutes wait for a train on the way back; hardly a nightmare!

Trains every 10 mins to and from the ground I would say is regular

You must have either left early or ran round to the station because it was a hell of a wait for most of us.

6 hours ago, bradowl said:

I remember it well, they took wee wee out of us when we got relegated there, week later they went down with us. lol

To be fair didn't we put Richard Wood up front in that game, we deserved to be relegated 2 divisions for that master stroke :image:

6 hours ago, bradowl said:

I remember it well, they took wee wee out of us when we got relegated there, week later they went down with us. lol

If that was 2003 didn't we both go down that day - or I believe they were already down before kick off?

1 hour ago, londonowl said:

It's no accident that the forward thinking clubs like Norwich, Bournemouth and Brighton are flourishing whilst others become less and less likely to ever recover former glories.

Wouldn’t necessarily say that having an enormously wealthy owner who can buy a new ground, or a billionaire Russian who can buy promotion as ‘forward thinking’.

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

75% of their current "support" didn't want to know back then though and only started going when they got bought a new ground and a decent team. 

And it's not as if they used to sell out the old ground and can pull out the "couldn't get a ticket excuse. They just couldn't be arsed until the going got good, most plastic fanbase in football along with Hull for whom the exact same applies. 

Blimey, and people say some football fans don't have humility...

Brighton left their stadium in '97 and had to travel to Gillingham for 2 full seasons to watch their team 'at home', a lovely 140 mile round trip there. Then they played at the Withdean for 12 full seasons which was a disgraceful place to have to watch football, truly demoralising for any fan. I, for one and so thankful we've never had go through such a prolonged ordeal.

How do you feel towards those hardy fans who travelling to Gillingham then, and those who stuck it out at that horrific ground for over a decade?

"They just couldn't be arsed until the going got good"

2005 - Withdean Stadium - Championship Finish 20th - Att. 6,426

2015 - Amex- Championship Finish 20th - Att. 25,645

Maybe they just wanted a ground that wasn't a bomb site? Pretty reasonable if you ask me. 

25 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

If that was 2003 didn't we both go down that day - or I believe they were already down before kick off?

We went down that day and they went down the following week. The draw helped neither of us!

1 hour ago, Owl.1867 said:

You must have either left early or ran round to the station because it was a hell of a wait for most of us.

No, left after we’d cheered the lads off. Yes, there was a big queue you’re right but I still didn’t think the wait was excessive (no worse than leaving Charlton station?). And the operation overall is very slick IMO

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Out of the historically tin-pot clubs in the Premier league. 

By which I mean clubs who have spent 95% of their entire history bobbing about in the 2nd,  3rd and 4th division in front of gates of one man and his dog.......how many of them have been into administration before getting their 'deserved' place in the Premier?

Bournemouth (twice),  palace, Leicester, Southampton. All of which Except Southampton didn’t get a points deduction. Also derby of which director is on efl board didn’t get a points deduction. Funny that Chelsea would of gone if bates didn’t pay the £2

9 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I was going to mention that.

Even Rovrum and Barnsley cottoned on.

Loads of them still banging on about it on their forum

Spose playing in an athletic stadium must have given them a chip on their shoulder

I read some of the threads on their forum. Made me laugh. I think the first 20 or so posts on one particular thread all mentioned the word massive in some way or another. You're right that they do indeed have a MASSIVE chip on their shoulder. 

3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Nah they went down last day of season, lost and we won to leapfrog em into 22nd.

We went down 2 weeks before em and still finished ahead.

We sent them down in 2006 though, at their place.

• Like 1