How much more of a team do we look

Just now, meggoisgod said:

Its about opinions mate...chill out

Bannan is not Zidane but is still a valuable player for us

Fair enough. But FF is a myth, Lee will never be the same player again (been a great player in his time) and Loungo is a steady championship player. 

And Bannan has got more Scotland caps that all of them put together. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Whilst I get what the OP is saying to an extent is there any other fanbase that does what we do on a regular basis?....ie as soon as a talented game changing player becomes a fan favourite (Brunt, Antonio,Forestieri, Bannan) its like there is a section that just can`t wait to start picking holes and put the knife in.

Already in this thread he has been called a "luxury player" and "wee billy big Boll***s" , and whilst he is not immune to the odd bad display, looking back over the last 2 years I have lost count of the number of times we have stank the place out as a team and he has been virtually the ONLY player on the pitch wearing an owl on his chest that has looked remotely like he gives a f***.

The fact of the matter is (ref the OP) we look better with a midfield 3 rather than a two, and if we are picking our best 3 midfielders and anyone is suggesting that BB isnt one of them then I despair.

He's a Scot wee Billy big boll*cks is a compliment. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Fair enough. But FF is a myth, Lee will never be the same player again (been a great player in his time) and Loungo is a steady championship player. 

Haha I'll agree on the last bit only

Lee and Luongo for me

Bannan is simply a quarter back ..sometimes you need mobility and drive

3 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Whilst I get what the OP is saying to an extent is there any other fanbase that does what we do on a regular basis?....ie as soon as a talented game changing player becomes a fan favourite (Brunt, Antonio,Forestieri, Bannan) its like there is a section that just can`t wait to start picking holes and put the knife in.

Already in this thread he has been called a "luxury player" and "wee billy big Boll***s" , and whilst he is not immune to the odd bad display, looking back over the last 2 years I have lost count of the number of times we have stank the place out as a team and he has been virtually the ONLY player on the pitch wearing an owl on his chest that has looked remotely like he gives a f***.

The fact of the matter is (ref the OP) we look better with a midfield 3 rather than a two, and if we are picking our best 3 midfielders and anyone is suggesting that BB isnt one of them then I despair.

I don't think anyone is suggesting bannan isn't one of our best 3 midfielders or that he's more often than not the only one on the pitch to come out with any credit. However, football is a team sport, and no matter how good he is, and personally I think he's our best player, he still destroys our shape. When he comes deep looking for the ball, who's the other midfield outlet? He creates a void between defence and attack. I thought EVERYONE could see that? Obviously not.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Its obvious Bannan drops deep cause of the formation.

Imagine if Joey played ahead of Bannan v Leeds and we lost.

Bannan Luongo and Lee to start next game

Plus Iorfa & Borner behind. Otherwise Bannan will be dropping deep again to collect the ball from a dithering Lees.

53 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

I don't think the issue is Bannan, and it's not Hutch. It's when they are in midfield together as the only central players. We end up with an enormous gap between midfield and attack and we don't drive anything forward unless a winger goes on a run or Bannan pulls out at wonder ball.

We have to have Lee or Luongo in there somewhere to carry the ball, to make the runs, to join things up and make the space for Bannan.

This

We’ve been flogging this dead horse for the past 4 seasons and it still ain’t working 

Both good players, but as a two it doesn’t work consistently 

8 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting bannan isn't one of our best 3 midfielders or that he's more often than not the only one on the pitch to come out with any credit. However, football is a team sport, and no matter how good he is, and personally I think he's our best player, he still destroys our shape. When he comes deep looking for the ball, who's the other midfield outlet? He creates a void between defence and attack. I thought EVERYONE could see that? Obviously not.

If you have CBs who are capable of taking the ball forward without taking 3 or 4 touches first, the 'void' between defence & attack doesn't exist & the midfield collect the ball higher up the pitch much much quicker.

People are automatically looking at Bannan when a lot of the problem lies elsewhere. 

The speed the ball comes out of our defence now the Iorfa, Borner pairing has been split is woeful & is a big cause of Bannan having to go hunting deep for the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torres said:

How many times have you been to the match in the last 2 years where Bannan didn’t play on the toes of the centre half’s.

Think this is more it. Bannan is a good player without a doubt but he gets dragged back into the centre half’s. He should have more personal discipline to stop getting dragged back and play further forward because that’s where he makes more difference. 
People seem to object but we seem to play better football when he doesn’t play. 
He needs to see that and think why.

Have started a thread on this and will comment on others. Bannan is a good footballer, but he's not our best. Positionally Dawson, Westwood, borner, iorfa and fletcher are better. He is not a team player. Again and again when he is rested or suspended we play our best football. The shackles seems to come off, we play with panache, intensity and speed. Take the rose tinted off, there's a reason he is not in the PL. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I’m fairly old school in taking the view that to become a better team you don’t drop your best player. 

We finally played him in midfield as opposed to leaving him on the bench.

All 6 foot of him!!! Keiran Lee, Keiran Lee, Keiran Lee!!! Best player in the club. Brains, movement, and a proper football player who plays for the team. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Is that the same Lee that had a good game today? The one we won? Did Bazza pick up a winners gong?

3 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Have started a thread on this and will comment on others. Bannan is a good footballer, but he's not our best. Positionally Dawson, Westwood, borner, iorfa and fletcher are better. He is not a team player. Again and again when he is rested or suspended we play our best football. The shackles seems to come off, we play with panache, intensity and speed. Take the rose tinted off, there's a reason he is not in the PL. 

Did you go to Blackburn, we were woeful the worst I've seen us all season. 

Looking at the bigger picture, perhaps the club will see our win at Brighton as vindication that we have enough quality in centre midfield to stick with what we have for the rest of this season.  I doubt we'll be recruiting a CM this January transfer window now.

This is fair enough.  But then you have to wonder why both Lee and Pelupessy didn't play 1 minute of football in the Stoke, Cardiff & Hull fixtures.

We were playing 3 fixtures in 6 days (or 4 fixtures in 10 days if you include the Bristol City match, where we weren't exactly brilliant, despite the 3 points).

Baffling that we persisted with a midfield that clearly wasn't functioning for several games when we had capable alternatives sat on the bench.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Looking at the bigger picture, perhaps the club will see our win at Brighton as vindication that we have enough quality in centre midfield to stick with what we have for the rest of this season.  I doubt we'll be recruiting a CM this January transfer window now.

This is fair enough.  But then you have to wonder why both Lee and Pelupessy didn't play 1 minute of football in the Stoke, Cardiff & Hull fixtures.

We were playing 3 fixtures in 6 days (or 4 fixtures in 10 days if you include the Bristol City match, where we weren't exactly brilliant, despite the 3 points).

Baffling that we persisted with a midfield that clearly wasn't functioning for several games when we had capable alternatives sat on the bench.

That’s exactly what I wondered over the festive period. I’ll add Moses to that too, you’d think they’d get game time even if we were playing well and winning due to sheer volume of games but they didn’t.  

Very odd. 

Now monk has a decision to make if he sticks or twists for Leeds, I’d stick personally. It’s their shirts to lose. 

11 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

Is that the same Lee that had a good game today? The one we won? Did Bazza pick up a winners gong?

Same one yes. Brighton reserves v Wednesday reserves in a Cup that no one really cares about anymore. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

We finally played him in midfield as opposed to leaving him on the bench.

All 6 foot of him!!! Keiran Lee, Keiran Lee, Keiran Lee!!! Best player in the club. Brains, movement, and a proper football player who plays for the team. 

6ft? Has he fallen asleep in a greenhouse?