How much more of a team do we look

Bannans our highest assist maker of the last decade so in a 1 off victory in a match of little value to brighton, how can he suddenly be the weak link? :wacko:

Like others have said theres other variables including reach on left, opposition and most of all hutch not dragging the midfield too deep imo

To be fair it’s the same formation we played at West Brom where Bannan and Lee played in front of Hutch.

Luongo replaced Lee after about 70 mins.

We struggled a bit first half there because Lee and Bannan were too far forward when we didn’t have the ball but second half we were very good.

I just think it is the way to go .

For me Luongo has to play if available and doubt it would be as the holding midfielder, he has too much running in him,  This means Bannan or more likely Lee would miss out.

The question for next week is can we play it without Fletcher up top.

2 hours ago, OwlinOldham said:

One game out of many but it was refreshing to see central midfielders in the attacking third. Bannan is a great player but hes rarely playing where he can do most damage or give the most support. Also helps when we play Borner and Iorfa, they naturally make us play 15 yards further forward with how comfy they are on the ball.

Totally agree .. once again 

• Thanks 1

I don't think OP is saying Bannan is the weak link.

Baz is just as effective in a midfield three as the lads were today. Keep in mind there was a change of shape as well as personnel.

Choose any two out of the three from today and stick them in the middle of a 4-4-2 and I think they'd struggle to dictate play as well.

2 hours ago, Colinwestzicoest said:

Yes. Leave Bannan out now. See how this team grows in confidence without wee Billy big b*llocks. If this proves successful, make Bannan earn his place back in the team. He will then have more confident players around him who then should help Bannan adapt his game i.e push up field. We've nothing to loose by trying this in the league as currently we're sh*te. 

Good point well made 

2 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

We've played well loads of times when bannan doesn't play

Some people are so far up his ar5e they don't wanna face it 

How many times have you been to the match in the last 2 years where Bannan didn’t play well?

27 minutes ago, aussieowl87 said:

I don't think OP is saying Bannan is the weak link.

Baz is just as effective in a midfield three as the lads were today. Keep in mind there was a change of shape as well as personnel.

Choose any two out of the three from today and stick them in the middle of a 4-4-2 and I think they'd struggle to dictate play as well.

442 has its benefits but we haven’t the right players for it 

Today’s formation is our best and most effective with the players we have 

I’d like to see Bannan Lee and Luongo against Leeds 

8 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Bannan isn't out best player

Imo FF, lee and Luongo are more effective

If you’re going to come out with rubbish like that then i’m not entering into any kind of debate. 

• Haha 1

Such a pointless thread. Bannan is a class act, but won’t be on form every game, as with other players. Different formations and personnel will be used throughout the season to beat different opposition or when things have gone stale or aren’t working. I don’t get the obsession with having to single out players. We’re a team, a squad, a collective.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, vulva said:

I’m fairly old school in taking the view that to become a better team you don’t drop your best player. 

Sometimes your best/most skillful player on the pitch can zap the life out of others when things are going badly. That said best player usually knows it, as Bannan certainly does and in turn becomes more frustrated. This is causing him to go deeper to orchestrate things. Anyone who has played league Football will recognise this scenario. You can & should rotate & experiment with your squad including your 'best player' if necessary. 

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Without bannan? :ph34r:

not sitting ridiculously deep. Different ideas for set pieces, midfielders in their rightful positions 

tin hat on 

I don't think the issue is Bannan, and it's not Hutch. It's when they are in midfield together as the only central players. We end up with an enormous gap between midfield and attack and we don't drive anything forward unless a winger goes on a run or Bannan pulls out at wonder ball.

We have to have Lee or Luongo in there somewhere to carry the ball, to make the runs, to join things up and make the space for Bannan.