The Usual Overreactions

I love it when people criticise other fans for having high standards.

2 awful defeats on the spin, both in true classic bottling Wednesday style.

But because we're somehow still 6th everything is OK.

We're a team who at the glimpse of success retreats into its shell - and I just have so little belief that we'll suddenly start playing well enough to get a run of wins needed to get us promotion of any kind. The players just aren't good enough, I just don't see any winners there - and Monk isn't the kind of manager to make them play above their level consistently.

Whilst the last two games have been very poor, I don’t honestly think it comes as a huge surprise.  Regardless of league position, most performances this season have been less than inspiring - majority of players simply not good enough.

I’m not expecting departures in January - can’t see many being in demand - but would be happy to see any of the current squad (other than Dawson, Borner and possibly Harris) move on.  Fletcher has been great so far this season, but we need to plan for a future without him, and I don’t think losing Bannan would be the end of the world.

18 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

To be fair he was probably covering his arse against the festive lull.

He'll be well aware, probably more than  us that this squad has huge glaring omissions from what is required to gain promotion. So far he's had no chance to shift deadwood and build a side that is. 

He's shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic,  and overall he's doing a decent job of keeping the lumbering hulk afloat with nothing but a Nigel Worthington tankard for bailing out and an old '91 champagne cork to plug the split in the hull.

It's amazing we're still near the surface really. 

• Haha 1

Playing reach through the middle always leads to "Chip" balls from Bannan that Reach can't..errr..reach...Reach then always drifts out to where he's comfortable...and theres him and Murphy trying to do the same thing.

Why wasn't Murphy subbed at half time..He did nothing, I'm not slagging him off..It wasn't his day, it wasn't working...

Winnal was winning headers he had no right to..but mainly from midfield...No-one else up front...whats the point?

Their goals were so bloody easy, cos they had their players in the right positions.

Monk can only work with what he has...and it has to be Fletcher up front...nowt else works..The other pairings simply don't deliver.

Without Fletcher we look toothless

1 minute ago, davey_wells said:

I love it when people criticise other fans for having high standards.

But what defines 'high standards' and are they realistic? Any mardy arse can shout things could be better. Even Liverpool have dropped 2 points this season.

With our squad and our financial position, is 6th in the table with a +12 goal difference really the hopeless failure some are telling us it is? In my opinion, it's actually better than I was expecting. 

36 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

Here we go again....two defeats on the trot (not unheard of for any team), and that's the end of the season.

Still in the top 6 and with a useful goal difference.  Blimey, WBA lost to M'bro today, the much-vaunted Brentford and Preston lost too.

Perspective, boys, please.  In case you've forgotten, this is football - and we go again after the cup-tie.

Firdst defeat at home since August - can't say that's bad, for a team that isn't exactly Liverpool.

UTO

Its the manner in how we lost and the teams we played.

• Like 1

Just now, DJMortimer said:

But what defines 'high standards' and are they realistic? Any mardy arse can shout things could be better. Even Liverpool have dropped 2 points this season.

With our squad and our financial position, is 6th in the table with a +12 goal difference really the hopeless failure some are telling us it is? In my opinion, it's actually better than I was expecting. 

I agree to a point...but looking at the bigger picture..Is DC hoping we gain promotion before the EFL stuff comes off?

cos I reckon he's backing a losing horse if he is.

Top 6 is not a pipe dream because the majority of clubs in nthis division have the same lack of consistency we have...that gives us an outside chance....but would you put your "House" on it...Like Wednesday have?

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

I agree but I think it's fair to critique a couple of performances on their own merits.

Today for example we gifted a poor opposition a two goal start.

Then when clearly their defence and keeper commanded the air in their box we kept floating the ball in. Don't get me started on short corners, Murphy starting or indeed the ref.:biggrin:

Just now, asteener1867 said:

I agree to a point...but looking at the bigger picture..Is DC hoping we gain promotion before the EFL stuff comes off?

I'd like to say "of course not", because that would be a rather unlikely outcome. But he's not really forging a reputation for himself of calm, common-sense decision making is he?

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

I'd like to say "of course not", because that would be a rather unlikely outcome. But he's not really forging a reputation for himself of calm, common-sense decision making is he?

I think he's playing the game other clubs have played but now the goalposts have moved.

• Like 1

It's been a poor Christmas, no doubt, but were still in a decent position.

The same players who've been mid table for years are not going to become world beaters overnight at their age. You can roll a turd in glitter, for a while it will sparkle, but as the glitter fades, it's still a turd. 

Big transfer window coming up if we have aspirations of competing for the top 6, otherwise we'll fade away back into mid table. I'm sure Monk knows this and DC will have a go. Still plenty of games to go. 

38 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

It’s not an overreaction at all, there’s an inevitability about us. We may make the top 6, but this set of players don’t have the heart to take promotion.

We are constantly inconsistent because we need better players sadly. The team we have are overpaid and not hungry enough get a reaction when we suffer setbacks like Stoke.

January will be where we see what Monk is about. He needs to ship some of them out and get some players that can be developed not already peaked. If it’s the same old come Feb then at best we will scape the playoffs and then need a massive amount of luck to do anything. Sadly the core of this team peaked 2/3 seasons ago.

Largely agree with the OP. People get hysterical.

That said, I have a partial view of us because I have only seen home games this season. So I have sometimes gone home thinking yes, we did well to grind out the win, but only after the Leeds game did I leave thinking this is a side to get excited about. At the start of the season few people felt we would get very near the play offs and for this set of players to be in the top six going into 2020 is not an achievement to be taken lightly. 

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I just don't see any improvements.

I want to be seeing the team slowly but surely improving, as Monk gets his own style and tactics accross.

I want to see the players improving their performances, not reverting to the same old mistakes and reverting to the same old lump it tactics. I want to see players playing who look like they're actually bothered and not just going through the motions, as if playing for Sheffield Wednesday is a bit of a nuisance for them. I don't see many of them being in a position to look a Wednesday fan in the eye and say they're giving everything they can. Too many times a manager (Carlos, Bullen, Jo's and now Monk) has had to say the standard of performance just isnt good enough. I think the ability of the players is severely limited and their attitude doesn't make up the difference.

I just want to see MORE from these players and this team - we're STILL so dull, slow, predictable in our play - and fragile - and I just dont get the sense that there are any improvements coming soon.