The Usual Overreactions

2 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Largely agree with the OP. People get hysterical.

That said, I have a partial view of us because I have only seen home games this season. So I have sometimes gone home thinking yes, we did well to grind out the win, but only after the Leeds game did I leave thinking this is a side to get excited about. At the start of the season few people felt we would get very near the play offs and for this set of players to be in the top six going into 2020 is not an achievement to be taken lightly. 

Its not hysterics...Its disappointment in the display...and lets be honest..it was poor.

Like you said the team that played like "That" against Leeds..Shows what they can do

I know as an Owls fan you expect the odd blip either way..but this team is better than what we saw today.

On top of that you have fans who are paying more money than most, fans who are having to cope with swingeing , ridiculous regulations, and fans who have been served this stuff up for 2 f.ookin' decades

"Top 6 2020"

If you had said that 4 years ago..I would presume you meant the Prem...but no...Here we are...same place, same hopes, same despair...its not hysterics..its bloody disappointment mate

• Like 1

Its not even just HOW we lost the games, it's the fact that NOTHING changes. Fletch is the only useful striker, NUhiu is decent for the last ten minutes to p*ss off the centre backs. Murphy is a waste of a shirt, yet still plays. Reach has never and will never be a centre mid, but as always his confidence is shot because he is played out of position all the time. The full backs aren't good enough, Borner is a magnificent centre half, so naturally can't get a game, Hutch and Bannan don't work as a midfield 2. Lee can't get a game even though we are crying out for somone to run from midfield. Add them all up and of course people will be annoyed and frustrated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Top six is a false position, just like under dross 

I’m sorry but if you can remain positive after that then you mustn’t understand football and what makes a team good 

Let's be fair. The last three games aside, the football under Monk has been quite decent. Nothing like when under Jos. 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I do love watching Bannan trying to constantly ping the ball over the opposition defence. 

Always works :duntmatter:

At least he tries to make something happen. Nobody wants the ball, nobody moves for him and nobody else takes responsibility.

Give me 10 more players with the attitude and character of Bannan and we’ll get somewhere. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

At least he tries to make something happen. Nobody wants the ball, nobody moves for him and nobody else takes responsibility.

Give me 10 more players with the attitude and character of Bannan and we’ll get somewhere. 

Yes, but it wasnt working.

That was our only attacking tactic for long stretches.

That's a knock on him and even more so those around him. 

There is an overreaction. Wednesday fans are known for it. When we are winning Iorfa is worth 20 million pounds and Morgan Fox is the next Roberto Carlos. 

But then when we lose we are useless and the players are bottlers. 

The truth lies in the middle. We are an average Championship side, and Monk has done very well so far to get us in the play off places. 3rd was a false position. 

We still lack quality in key areas. And we need a refresh because a vast majority of the squad have been here for a good number of years. You can’t expect the same group of players to gain promotion when they have failed for the past 4/5 years. That’s insane. 

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yes, but it wasnt working.

That was our only attacking tactic for long stretches.

That's a knock on him and even more so those around him. 

Because everyone expects Bannan to do everything. You’ve got Harris, Reach and Murphy on the pitch too. They hid for large chunks of today’s game and as per looked at Bannan to provide all the inspiration. 

It’s time others started taking responsibility. Bannan isn’t going to save us every week. 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There is an overreaction. Wednesday fans are known for it. When we are winning Iorfa is worth 20 million pounds and Morgan Fox is the next Roberto Carlos. 

But then when we lose we are useless and the players are bottlers. 

The truth lies in the middle. We are an average Championship side, and Monk has done very well so far to get us in the play off places. 3rd was a false position. 

We still lack quality in key areas. And we need a refresh because a vast majority of the squad have been here for a good number of years. You can’t expect the same group of players to gain promotion when they have failed for the past 4/5 years. That’s insane. 

You accusing others of overreacting is a bit flipping rich. 

• Haha 1

I personally don’t think this team is ready for the PL. we are a decent championship team, that on our day will beat most teams, but if we are not on it, we look bang average, unlike West Brom who don’t have to play well but will still get the results. If by miracle we go up, we would only struggle and end up like Cardiff/Huddersfield. We need a fresh team. Young and hungry that we can build on. Right now I don’t see that. 

It’s hard to feel positive after what felt like watching a 100+ minute endurance exercise designed to test the outer fringes of the definition of ‘entertainment’. It was ponderous, uninspiring drudgery and truly felt like we could’ve played until new year’s day without scoring a second.

I’m normally among the last to give in to pessimism but put it this way, if we don’t see some new names on the teamsheet in Jan then we’re looking at a pretty joyless 2020, been bullying our way to results last two months and we’re starting to look like the fight’s going a bit.

Of course I’ll take sixth after some very middling performances, but still fed up tonight, it was just cobblers that.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Thanks 1