BREAKING - Club Statement

The fear is that we get the chequebook out with 6 zeroes already penned in. We don't need to spend the earth... our overall wage expenditure should be finally within a reasonable figure (thanks to two years of buying cheap and releasing top earners), and we've started acquiring players that improve the squad while spending reasonable amounts.

A couple of loans, maybe one or two permanents for modest fees, coupled with offloading a couple of players in Jan (even just on loan to save wages), and we shouldn't risk further punishment a year or two down the line due to ballooning costs again, while cementing a top 6 squad.

12 minutes ago, mogbad said:

That's my understanding too.  If so it would suggest that the EFL have taken a step back from refusing to discuss the situation as per the clubs previous statement.

Looks like both parties have taken a step back and reached a happy medium. The positive from this I'm guessing is that the arbitrators will be totally independent, rather than sourced by the EFL.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, shireowl said:

Sounds like the club might have had a date for the independent board panel to me ....:sad:

It says no step will be taken with the disciplinary until the arbitration is done. I assume the arbitration will rule whether it’s a legal charge not whether we’re innocent or guilty of the charge.

Who are the arbitrators though. There’s the international Court of Arbitration for Sport but I think it would take a long time to get before them. I don’t know if there’s a UK step before that. It’s probably in the EFL rules but I can’t be bothered to look.

5 minutes ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Don’t any new signings have to be ratified by the EFL and then registered to play? Could we have a scenario where we sign players but couldn’t actually be allowed to play them?

Did you read the statement? Not under embargo.

3 minutes ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Don’t any new signings have to be ratified by the EFL and then registered to play? Could we have a scenario where we sign players but couldn’t actually be allowed to play them?

If we're not under an embargo I wouldn't have thought the EFL have grounds to prevent us signing players until the arbitration & any subsequent disciplinary hearing.

All in here...

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-9--arbitration/

Lots of legalise but looks like arbitration will be settled under UK law (as opposed to some undefined EFL regs) and there is a League Arbitration Panel, the chair of which is appointed by the Institute of Chartered Arbitrators. It looks like the time scales are pretty short too.

Lots of caveats though and I can’t be bothered (ie not clever enough) to wade through them so the above could be wrong.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Looks like both parties have taken a step back and reached a happy medium. The positive from this I'm guessing is that the arbitrators will be totally independent, rather than sourced by the EFL.

Quite possibly. 

As others have pointed out, an arbitration has to be agreed by both parties. 

The arbitration will determine whether the EFL have acted unlawfully in bringing these charges against us. 

Fingers crossed, this comes back in favour or, at the very least, some sort of compromise is reached between the parties. 

Not beyond the realms of possibility where both parties have screwed up here to some extent. 

Edited by SiJ

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Sounds like our tactic is delay this until after the season has finished to see if we can get promoted and escape the EFL's clutches. 

Just hope we don’t put ourselves in a worse situation a year down the line - this squad isn’t getting promoted this season.

This season has turned into a most interesting one for us hasn't it. When Bruce left I fully expected a relegation scrap. Now we look like serious play-off contenders who could we'll go all the way, especially if we buy well in January. Of course the threat of sanctions loom and we could we'll finish bottom half with a 21 point deduction but would not go down. I commend the manager and players for putting us in this unexpected position, which but for blips like yesterday could be even better. I also commend the chairman for taking the fight to the EFL, many others would not and would bend over. Roll on the new year and see what it brings. It won't be boring, that's a fact. Let's get behind the team and the chairman on Sunday and pack Hillsborough and make some magic. Happy new year.

Both parties need to be seen as being 'reasonable'...Courts take a dim view of refusal by either to enter into arbitration....if that process is exhausted with no resolution then a court process begins involving full and frank disclosure...all of which takes months.

The key part of the previous statement for me was the reference to 'allowing to club to remain competitive'..

40 minutes ago, NorfolkNChance said:

If there is an unsettled dispute then surely we are innocent until proven otherwise. Sounds positive that this is going to independent arbitration as this appears to be a deescalation of the situation. 

7 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Both parties need to be seen as being 'reasonable'...Courts take a dim view of refusal by either to enter into arbitration....if that process is exhausted with no resolution then a court process begins involving full and frank disclosure...all of which takes months.

The key part of the previous statement for me was the reference to 'allowing to club to remain competitive'..

Are you in the biz then?