Brentford Reaction

3 hours ago, bradowl said:

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't but If we had started selling star players to balance books over past few years fans would have been playing hell saying club lacked ambition.

Just imagine come January and we sold Bannan and Iorfa.

To counter that, they are a good young side with a new Stadium being built, and have money.

We have an old team old Stadium, no money to spend, all the sag police local authorities having a go, so the fans saying club lacks ambition.

Think I would rather be in Brentford's position to be honest. 

Has their goalie recovered from his broken back in the first half? I thought we were going to need the air ambulance. 

In fairness him having to get off his arse to pick the ball out of the net twice in the second half couldn't have helped it either garymegson

Edited by Owls2k
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, daleblue said:

To counter that, they are a good young side with a new Stadium being built, and have money.

We have an old team old Stadium, no money to spend, all the sag police local authorities having a go, so the fans saying club lacks ambition.

Shocked me how many in this thread think otherwise. We’ve got an aging team and will recoup nothing on the players that have cost us a fortune. How will we fund a new side next year under FFP restrictions? 

Now compare that to Brentford’s approach.

Its alright calling Brentford tinpot but so are Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley and the pigs. All of whom are miles ahead of us. 

Brentford as a club and a fanbase have slightly disappeared up themselves over the last few seasons. Not to say their model isn't admirable, it is, but they always seem to think because the like to pass it around about 50 times before they attempt to go forward that they deserve to win.

They were the better side in the first half, not denying that but the 2nd half we stepped it up a gear and deserved to win based on the chances we created. They created next to nothing in the 2nd half. The goal in the first came from a corner that never should have been given.

Thanks for the three points bees.

Have read the bees' comments, and can find little for us to complain about. They seem to have summed it up exactly like Monk did. We were awful, first half, and had to improve. Only comment I disapprove of is the use of the term 'hoofball'. Gone are the days , unfortunately, when a long pass from man to man is unwanted and tip tap across the back 4 counted as good football. Possession has now become 10/10ths of the law. People have forgotten that football is still a BASIC game. The idea is simple - you hit the back of their net, legally, more often than they do yours. end of.

• Haha 1

For all those guys screaming over brentford strategy.

Who has got closer to the Prem in the last 5 years, us or them?

It's ok selling a few players and its something we should have done. But selling your whole side every summer isn't good and will come back to bit sooner rather than later. They'll be in League 1 before they get to the Premier.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oldishowl said:

They have been playing the same way and formation for quite a few years. Yep, they are a selling club, but also have a tried and trusted recruitment policy bringing in youth and pace.

The current manager was previously assistant, so no big changes.

Contrast with us. New manager who hasn’t signed one player, no consistent playing style because of unbalanced aging squad .

In my view our manager getting everything out of the squad and players backing him with 100% effort.

They were always going to play the best football but there are no points for style.

with the current financial situation playing out at s6, the brentford/dingle way maybe the way 'we have' to go in the foreseeable  future.

12 hours ago, daleblue said:

i'd rather be in man.citehs or liverpoo's.

12 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Has their goalie recovered from his broken back in the first half? I thought we were going to need the air ambulance. 

In fairness him having to get off his arse to pick the ball out of the net twice in the second half couldn't have helped it either garymegson

Yeah, and that mocking, cheesy grin he gave to the Kop as he gathered his belongings at half-time came back to bite him in the second half!

Having said that, I thought Brentford looked a decent side in the first half with Benrahma running the show. Second half, though, we finally turned up and got going.

• Like 1

Ill be honest I thought they were the best side to come to Hillsborough this season. Lovely footballing side with some good players all over the pitch. Should have had us buried at half time.

But…. we have to be given credit, we mixed it up but by no means went long ball and that second half performance from us was the best ive seen for a while. Really intense and passionate. Some of our players were outstanding which is rare and we deserved to win in the end.

Think I read yesterday that we've lost 3 out of our last 24 home games - QPR twice and Villa. 

Hillsborough has become a real fortress and I don't think any team, good, bad or mediocre, enjoys playing us at S6 right now. 

It isn't always pretty, but this team is putting in a real shift this season and tbf, has been doing so since Bruce came in and then er left.

At the end of the day, people (including our fans) can knock us, but we are 6th in the league right now and deservedly so. Heck, had we been a bit more clinical and managed games a bit better, than we would be a fair bit higher. 

Edited by SiJ

37 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think I read yesterday that we've lost 3 out of our last 24 home games - QPR twice and Villa. 

Hillsborough has become a real fortress and I don't think any team, good, bad or mediocre, enjoys playing us at S6 right now. 

It isn't always pretty, but this team is putting in a real shift this season and tbf, has been doing so since Bruce came in and then er left.

At the end of the day, people (including our fans) can knock us, but we are 6th in the league right now and deservedly so. Heck, had we been a bit more clinical and managed games a bit better, than we would be a fair bit higher. 

If you look at all them expected goals tables we should be second behind Leeds.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

That is actually a remarkable statistic, especially when you consider that the atmosphere at home games is usually pretty flat and the truly enjoyable performances few and far between. Somehow the players seem to enjoy playing at S6. I'm at a loss to explain it to be honest. 

Edited by owls maniac

Don't think we can criticize Brentford philosophy either on or off the field. Our recruitment strategy hasn't been good. I suppose we should aim to work toward the Brentford strategy to some degree, as I think we have in the last window when we spent very little, let six players go (well 5 plus Abdi) and improved the squad whilst making good money on Joao. However, selling off your best players all the time to make a quick buck is not a recipe for success as our Dingle friends are finding out.