Brentford Reaction

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Think I read yesterday that we've lost 3 out of our last 24 home games - QPR twice and Villa. 

Hillsborough has become a real fortress and I don't think any team, good, bad or mediocre, enjoys playing us at S6 right now. 

It isn't always pretty, but this team is putting in a real shift this season and tbf, has been doing so since Bruce came in and then er left.

At the end of the day, people (including our fans) can knock us, but we are 6th in the league right now and deservedly so. Heck, had we been a bit more clinical and managed games a bit better, than we would be a fair bit higher. 

3 in 24 at home really?

If ticket prices were more reasonable that form would attract bigger crowds

17 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

3 in 24 at home really?

If ticket prices were more reasonable that form would attract bigger crowds

5 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Feel like we must have drawn a lot of those. But an impressive statistic nonetheless. 

Yes, there are quite a few draws, but is indeed a mere 3 defeats out of 24 at home. 

Decent effort. 

On 08/12/2019 at 12:47, TodwickOwl said:

https://griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132878

A good laugh for a Sunday afternoon. We’re an uncultured hoof team apparently

lol

We are a hoof ball team though garymegson.

Brentford played some nice football, but 2nd half they were poor and if you cannot defend the basics at this level you are always going to drop points vs teams who play direct with big powerful strikers...I feel how they feel when we play and usually lose vs teams like Milwall and Preston on the road, tough tackling sides who make you work all game and aren't afraid to hoof it to the big lad at any opportunity...

Some of the posts on here though, we need to get over ourselves. We are NOT a good footballing side and our style of play has nothing special about it. Monk has us doing the basics well and that might be enough for now but against better teams, as we've seen so far with our AWFUL record vs top 8 sides you cannot do that against teams with good defences. 

More a point for the future than now but if you notice teams that play simple Championship football that get promoted almost always come straight back down again (Cardiff who never seem to learn, Huddersfield, WEST BROM, Stoke, . We need a sustainable and scalable philosophy of how to play, like United or Norwich have (although Norwich attacking style of play that dominated the division much harder in the PL without the budget to invest in better players).

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Brentford played some nice football, but 2nd half they were poor and if you cannot defend the basics at this level you are always going to drop points vs teams who play direct with big powerful strikers...I feel how they feel when we play and usually lose vs teams like Milwall and Preston on the road, tough tackling sides who make you work all game and aren't afraid to hoof it to the big lad at any opportunity...

Some of the posts on here though, we need to get over ourselves. We are NOT a good footballing side and our style of play has nothing special about it. Monk has us doing the basics well and that might be enough for now but against better teams, as we've seen so far with our AWFUL record vs top 8 sides you cannot do that against teams with good defences. 

More a point for the future than now but if you notice teams that play simple Championship football that get promoted almost always come straight back down again (Cardiff who never seem to learn, Huddersfield, WEST BROM, Stoke, . We need a sustainable and scalable philosophy of how to play, like United or Norwich have (although Norwich attacking style of play that dominated the division much harder in the PL without the budget to invest in better players).

Yeah Norwich have done quality so far this year 

Villa looking great too

We are a functional, hard to beat side - And in patches of play we do play decent stuff - stop knocking us down. 

We’ve lost 3 in 24 at home - guarantee if we started playing out from the back that figure wouldn’t look as good

Brentford took Luton to the cleaners.  Buoyed with optimism, they came here to give their fans an exhibition of cultured football.  They lost.  We won.  I for one felt justice was served out to the wannabe Landan soccerati and the ref.  They got a free corner, innit? Wassup wi' em?

Edited by tonyem
ire
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

If you look at all them expected goals tables we should be second behind Leeds.

I've looked on the Championship League Table - the one that decides who goes up or down, who wins promotion automatically, who has to be in a play-off etc and all I can find are - Team Name, games played,  games ;Won , Lost, Drawn, goals for, goals against,goal difference, POINTS AWARDED.

I have not been able to find anywhere  where goals expected comes into the equation. 

The only thing that counts is goals scored. I expect Wed. to score at least 5 goals/game. I would be happy for them to win every game 1-0.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

I've looked on the Championship League Table - the one that decides who goes up or down, who wins promotion automatically, who has to be in a play-off etc and all I can find are - Team Name, games played,  games ;Won , Lost, Drawn, goals for, goals against,goal difference, POINTS AWARDED.

I have not been able to find anywhere  where goals expected comes into the equation. 

The only thing that counts is goals scored. I expect Wed. to score at least 5 goals/game. I would be happy for them to win every game 1-0.

Basically means we had Dwight Gayle we would be top.

13 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

More a point for the future than now but if you notice teams that play simple Championship football that get promoted almost always come straight back down again (Cardiff who never seem to learn, Huddersfield, WEST BROM, Stoke, . 

would that be the stoke that have just spent 10 years in the prem ?

• Haha 1

Amazing that with this bulletproof, incredible strategy of improving every year by selling their best players in the last 4 seasons they've finished 9th, 10th, 9th and 11th and are currently sitting 9th in the table this year.

Why would anyone want to follow this model?

16 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Games against top 8 teams.

W 1,D 3, L 2.

Not exactly awful, not great either, but in all those games we had plenty of chances to score and win.

The Idea of the game is to win, any way will do.

2 hours ago, Gnarwolf said:

Amazing that with this bulletproof, incredible strategy of improving every year by selling their best players in the last 4 seasons they've finished 9th, 10th, 9th and 11th and are currently sitting 9th in the table this year.

Why would anyone want to follow this model?

but if you can do that on a regular basis on crowds of 10,000 think what you could on an average of 24k …..buy cheap sell high is a very good policy at any level and lets be right we havnt had much success with the way we have gone about it . 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

but if you can do that on a regular basis on crowds of 10,000 think what you could on an average of 24k …..buy cheap sell high is a very good policy at any level and lets be right we havnt had much success with the way we have gone about it . 

Never thought about the difference in crowds and stuff and the impact that could have, cheers