Westwood 'injured' - Dawson to start

23 minutes ago, bobness said:

I have it on good authority that he's been dropped due to a clause in his contract which triggers a massive and financially crippling bonus.

GM has simply been a little creative with his definition of "crippling"

Here we go again 

A few shake, costly errors in the last few matches and worth benching for a match to let Dawson get a shot - get a rest and time off to get back to full focus. Westwood has been immense for us and will continue to play a great role - if you don't acknowledge that despite a handful errors lately, you're blind to all the world class saves he's pulled off too to keep us in games.

Hardly far-fetched that Westwood might actually have picked up an injury, and besides, the main point is that Monk's has said Dawson would've played anyway.

Weird that so many of our fans seem to have picked a 'side' in the question of who should start in goal.

Dawson will get a chance now to show us why he can be our first choice keeper, and if he does that then Wednesday are the winners. If he fails then Westwood will come back in and he has the chance to show why won't need to bring in another first choice keeper for next season.

Westwood's overall game does seem to have suffered somewhat. Obviously, he's getting on a bit, but keepers generally go on for longer anyway so it's not that obvious why some of these errors have begun to creep into his game.

Still, the bar for performance has been set by Westwood himself - and it's the high-bar from since he joined up to about two seasons ago.

This is the performance level by which whoever keeps goal for us will be judged - whether it be Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith, or some other keeper.

Westwood at his best marshalled his defence and commanded his area superbly, and this is something that I feel has been lacking in Dawson's game (although I think it's been improving). And I think it's this that he really needs to work on.

Shot-stopping, reflexes, agility - there's probably not much between them.

1 hour ago, Adam Reachs left peg said:

Yeah believe Westwood isn't injured either, maybe a chance for him to come out the firing line and recompose himself, but has been poor this season on the whole 

No new injuries he said, so if he has a slight injury now that seems to mean he’s been playing with a slight injury.??.

Seems odd to me but think it’s right for Dawson to get a chance. 
Clean sheet please Cameron.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

A few shake, costly errors in the last few matches and worth benching for a match to let Dawson get a shot - get a rest and time off to get back to full focus. Westwood has been immense for us and will continue to play a great role - if you don't acknowledge that despite a handful errors lately, you're blind to all the world class saves he's pulled off too to keep us in games.

To be fair Dawson has pulled off a lot of cracking saves as well.

Would I rather have a fully fit, on form Westwood in the team or a fully fit, on form Dawson? Westwood every time but he's not on form so ley Dawson have a turn. It might jolt Westwood a bit and get him to focus more.

I always feel sorry for keepers because each mistake has serious repercussions. If a midfielder makes a mistake it often doesn't make much difference. That's the job keepers are in.

19 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Play Forestieri in goal , everyone seems to think he’s the answer to every other problem maybe he’s got this one nipped aswell 

Playing keeper he'd get red carded for handling the ball in a racist manner and be banned for 12 games.lol

Wonder if Westwood received his knock giving away the penalty on Saturday. I may be cynical but I wonder if the 'injury' is more to his pride than his body following adverse criticism on Saturday and over recent matches. Whatever, Dawson deserves the chance to play IMO.

If KW is truly injured yet again, this further demonstrates the need to keep Dawson rather than let his contract run down in the summer.

24 minutes ago, cowl said:

Hardly far-fetched that Westwood might actually have picked up an injury, and besides, the main point is that Monk's has said Dawson would've played anyway.

Weird that so many of our fans seem to have picked a 'side' in the question of who should start in goal.

Dawson will get a chance now to show us why he can be our first choice keeper, and if he does that then Wednesday are the winners. If he fails then Westwood will come back in and he has the chance to show why won't need to bring in another first choice keeper for next season.

Westwood's overall game does seem to have suffered somewhat. Obviously, he's getting on a bit, but keepers generally go on for longer anyway so it's not that obvious why some of these errors have begun to creep into his game.

Still, the bar for performance has been set by Westwood himself - and it's the high-bar from since he joined up to about two seasons ago.

This is the performance level by which whoever keeps goal for us will be judged - whether it be Westwood, Dawson, Wildsmith, or some other keeper.

Westwood at his best marshalled his defence and commanded his area superbly, and this is something that I feel has been lacking in Dawson's game (although I think it's been improving). And I think it's this that he really needs to work on.

Shot-stopping, reflexes, agility - there's probably not much between them.

He signed in 2014. Just over 5 years now.

I've just understood the point you were making. Good 3 years, bad last 2.

Edited by prowl