Westwood 'injured' - Dawson to start

It’s time to move on and let Dawson develop.  On another thread on Owlstalk recently someone posted Westwood’s performance stats since he joined. There is a steady decline year on year, which reversed last year. However this current year its lower than his previous worst .  

It’s too late now but I would have happily sold him last summer and let Dawson and Wildsmith joust for the position.  Perhaps that what we should now do

• Like 1

Why are people getting confused ?   He said Westwood has a slight injury but the decision to change would’ve been made anyway 

let’s not be having refusing to sit on bench stories or any other conspiracy shizz for once eh 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Why are people getting confused ?   He said Westwood has a slight injury but the decision to change would’ve been made anyway 

let’s not be having refusing to sit on bench stories or any other conspiracy shizz for once eh 

BORING.

4 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Westwood got a record of magically picking up an injury when the going gets tough. 

Good luck Cammy. 

Thought it was just me imagining it. He seems a bit precious mentally and I think he's missing Andy Rhodes.

4 hours ago, fpowl said:

At least as a fan base we can add go help us if we was asked to add 2+2 together and end up getting 9 

club - westwood has a slight knock so Dawson will start ( I can believe that it’s plausible ) 

our fan base - westwood been dropped to form, westwood faking injury due to form, westwood is refusing to play due to our fan base being muppets 

Jesus wept guys 

westwood is a ageing keeper that has a track record of picking up knocks there’s no need to look at trying to find fault in everything or start up a conspiracy let’s do what we always do and either blame fox, Palmer, attey or forestieris attitude on this one  

I remember monk saying he trys to protect his players in one of the early press conferences. 

If he comes out and says he's dropped Westwood on form, it dosent help him by putting extra pressure and media focus on him ,but if he just says he's got a slight knock, this deflects speculation and allows him to give him a few days rest from the pressure mentally and physically of this very tough league meaning Dawson to come in and monk can see how he performs midweek. 

If he has a below par game, he can bring westy back in Saturday, as he's recovered from his knock. 

If he does really well, then he has his excuse for not bringing him back in as he hasn't fully recovered. 

Managers have been doing this sort of thing for decades. 

4 hours ago, SettleForADraw said:

Sure I remember seeing something at the start of the season that KW has struggled with his mental health. Maybe it's for the best he sits a few games out before things get worse.

how much is he on?

a lot would be willing to run the risk for £15k per week.

watching his performances this term has seen a huge fall off in his standards, he is erratic to say the least, poor cross handling, sudden mystery injuries, rushing out and taking someone down in the area.

his shot stopping is still there and it's his strongpoint, but dawson has it too, it might be the opportunity he needs to actually be picked on 'merit' not on some 'daft idea' of a pisspoor manager.

meanwhile time will tell with kw.

Westwood shouldn't be past it at his age, should have a couple of good years in him yet. Maybe he can pick himself up and find his form again.

Dawson now gets a chance to prove he's matured enough to stake his claim in the team. Good luck to him, I hope he plays a blinder.

If neither are up to the required standard we are going to have to find another keeper. There's got to be someone decent out there at the right price.

The one position that needs to be strong is the keeper.

its the right decision dropping westwood I doubt there is a keeper in the championship this season who has made so many mistakes , his kicking and distribution has been woeful this season I know he has always had a knack of kicking his goal kicks into the stand . im not anti westwood there is still a good keeper in him and dawson now has his chance , longer term we need a much better keeper than westwood and dawson , would monk have given westwood a 2 year deal if he was manager last summer who knows. 

3 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Do they ? Which players have been dropped for lack of form this season ? Strikers miss chance after chance and have cost us far more lost points then Westwood for example . 

Agree about other players deserving dropping. Who else has been said to have slight knocks and not playing?

Looking at WBA, the first goal bisected the central defenders with Borner flat footed and no cover for him. Terrible defending. WBA in better Sky highlights showed we could have conceded more through attacks in air as now central defence looks as tentative as the full backs.

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Looking back Dawson didn’t deserve the stick he got. The way we played (out from the back) was kamikaze and poor Cameron was the scapegoat. 

When called upon this season he’s been far better than Westwood. You could blame him for the Cardiff free kick, but you could argue he was obstructed.

This

11 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

its the right decision dropping westwood I doubt there is a keeper in the championship this season who has made so many mistakes , his kicking and distribution has been woeful this season I know he has always had a knack of kicking his goal kicks into the stand . im not anti westwood there is still a good keeper in him and dawson now has his chance , longer term we need a much better keeper than westwood and dawson , would monk have given westwood a 2 year deal if he was manager last summer who knows. 

The reviled Jos maybe had a point after all about Dawson. And about 1-2 others he would not play? And maybe about playing effectively ( three but really) five at the back as well!

Just now, victorturner said:

The reviled Jos maybe had a point after all about Dawson. And about 1-2 others he would not play? And maybe about playing effectively ( three but really) five at the back as well!

all I remember about jos is 10 behind ball watching just horrid football . never again. 

Looking back Dawson didn’t deserve the stick he got. The way we played (out from the back) was kamikaze and poor Cameron was the scapegoat. 

When called upon this season he’s been far better than Westwood. You could blame him for the Cardiff free kick, but you could argue he was obstructed.

Dawson and Wildsmith both good shot stoppers. KW had more but he has less now. Mind you, that winning goal vs WBA was Palmer's fault. I even doubt whether the WBA guy was really fouled as KW raced to narrow the angle with the striker let through by the missed header. 

He conceded so many goals when he played last season. Surely some of that comes down to the actual goalkeeper rather than the outfield players. A keeper has to take some responsibility. Personally I don’t think Dawson has the qualities to be our number one long term. 

Edited by WalthamOwl