Westwood 'injured' - Dawson to start

17 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Monk said he would have played Dawson regardless so that's a fact.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the 'injury' though. I just can't see Westwood sitting on the bench. 

I am a big fan of Westwood but I don't think he is in a position to argue that he hasn't been at his best recently. I hope he proves me wrong and if Dawson does well in the next couple of games then Keiren should be on the bench and in the warm-ups supporting his team mate but I just have a feeling that this won't be the case.

Oddly, other than for 3 League Cup games early in his first season here back in 2014, Westwood has never been on the bench for Wednesday - even when he wasn't injured and Jos came out with the guff about him being third choice, nor for any cup games since 2014, if he's not started the game he's been out of the squad altogether rather than sitting on the bench as backup if needed.

2 hours ago, owlsdreamer said:

No way is Dawson up to an extended run in the team.

When he plays it is there for all to see that the defence do not trust him./

This doesn't mean to say that Westwood is undroppable.

All it means is that we have not got adequate cover.

What’s there for all to see this season is a 75% League clean sheet record 

7 hours ago, poite said:

He's been very inconsistent. 

It's tough because one minute he's making world class superhuman saves and the next minute he's letting in goals you'd only expect to see on a Sunday league pitch. 

Ultimately I think dropping him is the right decision. 

I think this is a good summary. 

He has pulled off some absolutely outstanding saves, the one in the dying moments against Swansea was outrageous, then it is immediately followed up by missing the cross! 

The fact he's still been pulling off some outstanding stops hopefully means he's not 'finished', but he certainly needs to clear his head and stop the number of regular mistakes hes been making. 

He will now have to fight for his place back/wait for the opportunity. Up to him how he reacts now. 

Hopefully this situation can be well managed and it could be a win-win either way.

For Dawson, he's only let in one league goal when called upon and so now has a chance to stake a claim for the shirt long-term. There have been a few nervous moments and signs he doesn't always command the defence (but a rainy Friday night at Cardiff isn't ideal for any keeper). If he does keep Westwood out of the team long-term it will be because he is performing, which is what we want to see.

For Westwood, a spell out of the firing line is probably for the best. He's only just turned 35, so should have at least a couple of strong seasons left in him. I don't think its a terminal decline. But needs to get his head right, his body right, and prepare for his next chance. Hopefully he'll come back like he did last season and prove himself all over again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, victorturner said:

A little exaggeration! JL with many injuries as well as players he did not think were really fit,  played  too many young players but with often five at the back and realised the strikers were so weak, a 1-0 was the best to hope for. GM not far off the same conclusion.

look all managers bar idiots realise IF you're tight at the back, you need to score less to win, even keegan knew this. 

gray, jos, bruce, bullen and monk have all in one way or another bought into this, but some had better, and fitter attacking options than others.

jos really got the shitten end of the stick, **** knows what his mandate really was.

gray did some excellent work with **** all to spend, and got shafted, which in turn led us to where we are now.

bullen we have seen what we needed to see, and drawn the conclusion.

bruce was moving in the right direction when he jumped ship, how much he could see that at the time we couldn't we may never know? as for monk, like him or not, or even hate him at sometime in the future, he's got his work cut out for him on our own 'rollercoaster' that maybe more on the downward part of the track than he initially thought.

modern day football management.

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

they will have without doubt, BUT the lack of improvement in a 23 year old who has still the same shortcomings as he had 3 years ago is quite telling.

with no 'embargo' it's a new keeper for us.

Prepared to give the lad a chance but ultimately you could be right , if he can improve and become our no 1 keeper it will save us a bob or two though .

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Prepared to give the lad a chance but ultimately you could be right , if he can improve and become our no 1 keeper it will save us a bob or two though .

100%,

but at present with westwood's age and form it's possible to say 'he's gone over the hill'.

but with dawson being selected he needs to grab hold of the chance with both hands, but 'grabbing hold with both hands' has been a bit of a problem for him in his career.

once word get's around you've a juggler in the nets, get ready to be buried in crosses.

• Haha 1