I was blinded by the memory of what he did to us in December 2011 at Hillsborough - always thought he'd be great at Wednesday after that. I watched him at Blackburn when they were on Sky and still used to be impressed by his movement, particularly around the box; ghosting off the defenders, finding space, running the channels - like a modern day Paul Williams but more clinical.

Other than the odd glimpse; particularly in his first home game against Birmingham when he was unlucky not to get a hat-trick. The missed penalty against Leeds, and failure to take a penalty against Huddersfield appears to have finished him confidence wise - he seemed to enjoy his cameo appearances for Norwich last season but I can't see where his career goes from here - not at Wednesday anyhow.

Strange one isn’t it

Still in his 20’s

Not had a particularly bad injury 

Never had any pace so it’s not like he’s gone all Michael Owen on us

Got to be a confidence issue, Shame Bruce never stuck around, he seemed to be the master at man management, just look at what he did for Palmer

10 hours ago, sage owl said:

This is from a poster I've often disagreed with. 

I can't find fault with a single word of this.

It's surprising, not to mention tragic, that half of those responding to that post apparently don't agree and still see the fine robes of the emperor.

Goals or not, watch the movement, the determination, ball retention, shooting accuracy, vision, creativity and so forth. He's appeared 60 times for us and there's been virtually nothing to hang any kind of hope on. And all 5 of our managers in that time evidently have seen nothing worthwhile either.

Without sepia-toned reflections on the increasingly distant past, I just don't understand what it is they are perceiving that the rest of us aren't. Judging a player is always a matter of subjectivity, but in this case there's a few crumbs on one side of the scales and a huge pile of scrap metal on the other.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's surprising, not to mention tragic, that half of those responding to that post apparently don't agree and still see the fine robes of the emperor.

Goals or not, watch the movement, the determination, ball retention, shooting accuracy, vision, creativity and so forth. He's appeared 60 times for us and there's been virtually nothing to hang any kind of hope on. And all 5 of our managers in that time evidently have seen nothing worthwhile either.

Without sepia-toned reflections on the increasingly distant past, I just don't understand what it is they are perceiving that the rest of us aren't. Judging a player is always a matter of subjectivity, but in this case there's a few crumbs on one side of the scales and a huge pile of scrap metal on the other.

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's a form of psychological self-preservation. People don't like admitting they were wrong.

The bigger the dream they were sold, the harder it is to let go.

3 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Told he might be involved today 

in which case hope he does well.

Whether it be Rhodes or Winnall we would benefit hugely from one or other finding a scoring streak. Even if it’s only what he did at Norwich, scoring at a very good rate from the bench (goal every 160 minutes).

On 07/11/2019 at 12:34, nilsson said:

Since February 2016 in the league he’s had 55 starts and come on as a sub 62 times. 

So he’s 20 goals in his last 117 appearances in the league. You can work out the minutes if you want go through 117 games.

And is that a more realistic detail or the fact that 6 consecutive managers haven’t really trusted him to start games regularly?

Your final paragraph is right. His managers haven’t tested or rated him to play him regularly. That indisputable.

However, the rest of your post is misleading. At Boro and Norwich he scored at a very healthy rate. A goal every less than 200 minutes. Compares well with our strikers.

Guest wilyfox

Sink or swim, if he does play for us again it would be nice to see some fight from him. He used to be ruthless top end of the pitch. To see someone with his record disappear off the scene here so quietly for no apparent reason...very sad. 

Guest Bulgaria
7 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Told he might be involved today 

Just imagine him starting and bagging a couple of goals.

The relief and optimism would be huge.

Now....where's my special brew gone.

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Sink or swim, if he does play for us again it would be nice to see some fight from him. He used to be ruthless top end of the pitch. To see someone with his record disappear off the scene here so quietly for no apparent reason...very sad. 

Yes, though the reasons are clear to me, he hasn’t adapted his game to the demands of modern championship football

Guest wilyfox
16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, though the reasons are clear to me, he hasn’t adapted his game to the demands of modern championship football

Yes, i agree. But, he also stopped doing the things he was good at. No explanation for that. 

7 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Yes, i agree. But, he also stopped doing the things he was good at. No explanation for that. 

I don't buy into this bo**socks about how the game has changed, the nets are the same size, the methods of getting the ball over the line is no different and goal keepers are no better or worse than they have always been.

Sadly he has stopped doing everything he is good at and I don't know how you get him going again.

What I will say is there is a decent player in there somewhere, I thought Bruce was the man to get.him firing again but sadly he fecked off.

Could Monk be the man to get a tune out of him, I'm not sure but I bloody hope so.