9 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

The biggest problem for any striker is there has been too much competition for places. Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Winnall and Rhodes have been competing against each other for the best part of 3 years (albeit a couple loans). This never allowed for any consistency, never allowed two strikers to form a partnership. Not until Bruce came in did Fletcher really establish himself as our main striker. 

Even for the other players supplying the forwards it’s never helped that one week your pumping up to Fletcher or Nuhiu, another Hooper or Forestieri are dropping deep towards midfield, or even Rhodes and Winnall who both like to linger and attack crosses. It’s no surprise we’ve seen little consistency over the last 3/4 years with our front line because apart from Fletcher no ones really been allowed to

be the main stay upfront. 

Given what we paid for Rhodes, had there been the slightest indication, that he was up to the job, he would surely have been given game time?

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Given what we paid for Rhodes, had there been the slightest indication, that he was up to the job, he would surely have been given game time?

Possibly, but the club shouldn’t have spent what it did on a player that they weren’t 100% was going to start every single week and fit into the way we play. The abundance of strikers we have had hasn’t allowed for any consistency from any of them though, not just Rhodes.

3 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Possibly, but the club shouldn’t have spent what it did on a player that they weren’t 100% was going to start every single week and fit into the way we play. The abundance of strikers we have had hasn’t allowed for any consistency from any of them though, not just Rhodes.

Absolutely we shouldn’t, and nobody protested more than me when the idea was first mooted

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Absolutely we shouldn’t, and nobody protested more than me when the idea was first mooted

With Winnall just signed and us crying out for a CB and CM at the time. It was a truly horrendous decision and one we are still paying for. 

15 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

The biggest problem for any striker is there has been too much competition for places. Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Winnall and Rhodes have been competing against each other for the best part of 3 years (albeit a couple loans). This never allowed for any consistency, never allowed two strikers to form a partnership. Not until Bruce came in did Fletcher really establish himself as our main striker. 

Even for the other players supplying the forwards it’s never helped that one week your pumping up to Fletcher or Nuhiu, another Hooper or Forestieri are dropping deep towards midfield, or even Rhodes and Winnall who both like to linger and attack crosses. It’s no surprise we’ve seen little consistency over the last 3/4 years with our front line because apart from Fletcher no ones really been allowed to

be the main stay upfront. 

I think injury rather than selection played the major part. When Fletcher and Hooper were fit they were on Carlos’s sheet every game. And what a pairing it was. When one wasn’t scoring, the other was. They averaged around one per game in partnership. 

The other pairing that worked was Joao-Nuhiu. Who saw that one coming? I didn’t. 

No other pairing has had much of a run, nor looked like it worked. 

16 hours ago, gurujuan said:

So frustrating "He needs a run of games" but when he plays he actually offers nothing at all. It is really like having 10 men.

Rhodes has been a bad buy, whether or not it could have been foreseen before we brought him is up for debate.
Overall Wim Jonk and Gilles De Bilde were poor buys that stand out in my mind.
But think the worst buy in my time supporting Wednesday was Francis Jeffers. Basically blew money we didn't really have on him in a panic buy two days before the season.

He needs to go for his own good, his confidence is shot and who can blame him, he is the subject of daily fan bashings and for no other reason than being our most expensive signing which isn't his fault and was signed for a system that was never going to work. The level of abuse he gets is scandalous and so called fans have the cheek to ask why he doesn't look interested, hmmmmmmm let me think. 

58 minutes ago, AndersonOWL said:

So frustrating "He needs a run of games" but when he plays he actually offers nothing at all. It is really like having 10 men.

Is this true though?

This season have we been down to 10 men with him on?

Barnsley - he played 17 minutes. He played well and cleverly created the chance for Luongo which was luckily saved by their keeper’s arris.

Millwall - he played 28 minutes. We hadn’t scored prior and didn’t score after. Rhodes got three chances and put a Bannan in for a shot.

Hull - he played 25 minutes. We hadn’t scored prior and we didn’t score after, but he got into better positions in that 25 minutes than Winnall did in his 68 minutes. He made space for a very decent chance.

Swansea - he played 12 minutes. We scored one, where he and Dom challenged successfully for the header that led to Fox scoring.

So he’s played 82 minutes. Got several chances, made a couple of scoring chances for mates. Pretty harsh to say it’s been like playing with ten men.

Im not saying he’s been great. He absolutely has not. Nor am I saying he should start. But I do think we criticise him unfairly, and that it would be fantastic if he could contribute like he did at Norwich, with six important goals at a rate of one per 160 minutes (which is better than any of our strikers).

Edited by Holmowl

17 hours ago, billyblack said:

He doesnt take penalties when it really matters. Not a good sign for a striker who has scored lots of goals from the spot. Perhaps he just likes to take them them winning 3-0

Yes he does - he took penalties against Leeds and Forest when the scores were 0-0 and 1-0. He just doesn't like to be in the named five in shoot-outs (as mentioned by Rickygoo). Personally, I think he's just an average penalty taker. Only 16 of his 205 career goals have come from the spot, but I can't find the stats of how many he's missed.

One thing that has been overlooked is that in the half-season when he was on loan his 3 goals and 3 assists were actually extremely valuable points-wise in helping us get into the Play-offs in the first place. It's what has happened since then - probably the confidence knocked out of him in the aftermath of the shoot-out against Huddersfield - that's disappointing.

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Is this true though?

This season have we been down to 10 men with him on?

Barnsley - he played 17 minutes. He played well and cleverly created the chance for Luongo which was luckily saved by their keeper’s arris.

Millwall - he played 28 minutes. We hadn’t scored prior and didn’t score after. Rhodes got three chances and put a Bannan in for a shot.

Hull - he played 25 minutes. We hadn’t scored prior and we didn’t score after, but he got into better positions in that 25 minutes than Winnall did in his 68 minutes. He made space for a very decent chance.

Swansea - he played 12 minutes. We scored one, where he and Dom challenged successfully for the header that led to Fox scoring.

So he’s played 82 minutes. Got several chances, made a couple of scoring chances for mates. Pretty harsh to say it’s been like playing with ten men.

Im not saying he’s been great. He absolutely has not. Nor am I saying he should start. But I do think we criticise him unfairly, and that it would be fantastic if he could contribute like he did at Norwich, with six important goals at a rate of one per 160 minutes (which is better than any of our strikers).

it is not harsh at all it true people just stick up for him time after time but he does nothing - He is half of the player of adthe or fletch. All don't claim he had a good performance in a match because he challenge for a header

Edited by AndersonOWL

17 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

He needs to go for his own good, his confidence is shot and who can blame him, he is the subject of daily fan bashings and for no other reason than being our most expensive signing which isn't his fault and was signed for a system that was never going to work. The level of abuse he gets is scandalous and so called fans have the cheek to ask why he doesn't look interested, hmmmmmmm let me think. 

What abuse? If Rhodes has had any then I have not seen it.

Yes he get criticised but that's part of job description of being a professional footballer. People are paying expensive tickets and seeing clubs most expensive ever signing not performing.
Blokes on a reported £2m per year and doesn't look interested.

20 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Yes he does - he took penalties against Leeds and Forest when the scores were 0-0 and 1-0. He just doesn't like to be in the named five in shoot-outs (as mentioned by Rickygoo). Personally, I think he's just an average penalty taker. Only 16 of his 205 career goals have come from the spot, but I can't find the stats of how many he's missed.

One thing that has been overlooked is that in the half-season when he was on loan his 3 goals and 3 assists were actually extremely valuable points-wise in helping us get into the Play-offs in the first place. It's what has happened since then - probably the confidence knocked out of him in the aftermath of the shoot-out against Huddersfield - that's disappointing.

He has missed 5/21.

Perhaps more telling, he has missed 3 of his last 8

10 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

He's not had the sort of abuse that Morgan Fox has had to put up with.  For what it's worth i thought he had a decent cameo at the weekend.  Put himself about a bit.

Yes, and where the club haven’t handled this well is, he should have been given regular game time with the U23s. We often seem short of strikers at that level, sometimes even operating without a recognised front man. Pairing Rhodes and Winnall in these games, would have, not only given the side some much needed experience, but would have given a couple of saleable assets valuable game time. Were they to strike up a productive partnership, even at this level, then I’m sure they would have come to the attention of clubs looking for a proven striker in the next window Plus of course, it would have boosted their confidence, if we needed to call on them in the meantime

Edited by gurujuan