Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, gurujuan said:

Fletcher and Rhodes would be a good pairing, if it were 2012 Now, they are too limited a pairing for the modern game

Limited in that they don't have pace you mean. Fletcher has pretty much everything you could want in a striker other than being ultra clinical and quick. Rhodes is (was?) a brilliant finisher. Depends how we play, we have pace out wide now to stretch the game, not every player needs to be rapid.

Think we'd get more goals playing Fletcher/Rhodes or Fletcher/Winnall than we will playing Fletcher on his own with what's essentially a 5 man midfield given Harris and Reach play more like traditional wingers than wide forwards. FF is the only wide forward we have but doesn't get a look in

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

Really!  you must have some very inside knowledge to know this...or are you just talking through your jacksie?

Oh shut your arse. It's been reported this week. Google it yourself if you can work a search engine.

If Rhodes isn't showing enough in training to suggest he deserves a place on the bench, and Winnall coming on late game isn't doing it for Monk (doesn't seem to think he's enough of a theat to require close marking and thus justify the loss of a holding player at 0-0 or 1-0, and it's hard to argue with that), then we desperately need to pick up a STRIKER* in January. Specifically one who isn't afraid to either:

a) pick up the ball high up the pitch and run with it, directly towards the opponent's goal at a speed that doesn't look as if they're running through the sea

OR

b) just hang around as a pure poacher with a tiny bit of pace who can play directly off Fletcher, pick up scrappy second balls and get quick, decent shots/headers away that actually test a keeper from 12-22 yards.

Only FF is currently capable of doing either of those consistently, but he's just not getting the game time, and not getting in the positions when he does come on.

It's a ridiculous situation really, given how stupidly overloaded with striking options (and how short-staffed almost everywhere else) we were 18 -24 months ago. So absolutely Wednesday.

* Love what Fletch contributes to the team as a target man (very important player for us, in great form and shape, very much our main out ball at the moment etc etc), but he's not a 'striker'. He's a 'forward'. Never has been a striker per se - never scored more than 13 in a season I don't think. In fact he's scored 10, 11 or 12 almost every season since about 2008, regardless of what league or team he's been with. Career aveage is probably still high single figures overall, due in part to a couple of spells with injuries and starting from the bench and whatnot. My point is, playing him on his own up top is madness if we want to stay in and around playoffs, never mind any higher, much beyond Christmas.

Edited by Mr. Tom

21 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Wasn’t the offer derogatory though ? . Letting him go back to Norwich was by far the best option for all barring D.C. it seems . Shame that .

We would have saved a shed load of money if he'd gone for nowt. This is again down to the chairman. He wasted all his, then manager's, resources on one player that we actually had on loan first and could have let go without wasting all that money. Then he spits his dummy out and refuses to let Norwich have him at a far more realistic price than we paid. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

It's a ridiculous situation really, given how stupidly overloaded with striking options (and how short-staffed almost everywhere else) we were 18 -24 months ago. So absolutely Wednesday.

Actually the more I think about it, the more Wednesday it gets.

2017-18: Stuggling to cobble a functional back three together week in week out, while eight attackers (at least four on massive wages) vye for 1-2 starting places. Nuhiu finishes top scorer on 11. Total season goal difference of -1. Finish 15th.

2019-20: Stingiest defence in the league, club captain CB at serious risk of losing his place, barely anybody in the side who can reliably work a goalkeeper from the edge of the box. Currently 7th, goal difference of +7, despite having scored three less than Luton who are in and out of the drop zone every other week.

Maddest, most confusing team ever.

:duntmatter:lol

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tudders said:

You don’t just lose the unbelievable strikers instinct that Rhodes has. It’s not like as he’s got older he’s lost pace for example.  He’s never relied on pace. Even 50 odd year old ex pro’s still know where the net is. 

I genuinely think it’s a mental health issue and it’s affected his confidence. If any of you have ever been affected by mental health it can drag you down. 

Just reading between the lines.

Really hope he can rekindle his form, just concerns me that he won’t. Would be a huge shame. Seems a great bloke and i feel for him.

or it is just that he peaked earlier in his career

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

But what's been reported...fact or speculation ?

I doubt Mr Chansiri has said that, and he's the only one who knows.

Norwich wouldn't know if they'd agreed a deal for him or not? Rhodes wouldn't know? His agent wouldn't know? Paixao wouldn't know? ..because DC handles negotiations both sides and on behalf of the player concerned? That would be a really interesting conversation with himself to overhear. 

I'm a fan and would like Rhodes to come in and score goals. The managers at Hillsborough have all looked at him and decided he either hasn't got what we need, would mean totally changing our style, hasn't shown enough in training, failed to do the business when give a chance or there's something else which means he's not worth a place in the team.

I'm a fan, they are all professional managers who see him in training. I'll trust their judgement. Shame though.

Guest Bulgaria
3 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

If Rhodes isn't showing enough in training to suggest he deserves a place on the bench, and Winnall coming on late game isn't doing it for Monk (doesn't seem to think he's enough of a theat to require close marking and thus justify the loss of a holding player at 0-0 or 1-0, and it's hard to argue with that), then we desperately need to pick up a STRIKER* in January. Specifically one who isn't afraid to either:

a) pick up the ball high up the pitch and run with it, directly towards the opponent's goal at a speed that doesn't look as if they're running through the sea

OR

b) just hang around as a pure poacher with a tiny bit of pace who can play directly off Fletcher, pick up scrappy second balls and get quick, decent shots/headers away that actually test a keeper from 12-22 yards.

Only FF is currently capable of doing either of those consistently, but he's just not getting the game time, and not getting in the positions when he does come on.

* Love what Fletch contributes to the team as a target man (very important player for us, in great form and shape, very much our main out ball at the moment etc etc), but he's not a 'striker'. He's a 'forward'. Never has been a striker per se - never scored more than 13 in a season I don't think. In fact he's scored 10, 11 or 12 almost every season since about 2008, regardless of what league or team he's been with. Career aveage is probably still high single figures overall, due in part to a couple of spells with injuries and starting from the bench and whatnot. My point is, playing him on his own up top is madness if we want to stay in and around playoffs, never mind any higher, much beyond Christmas.

Absolutely spot on pal.

12 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Norwich wouldn't know if they'd agreed a deal for him or not? Rhodes wouldn't know? His agent wouldn't know? Paixao wouldn't know? ..because DC handles negotiations both sides and on behalf of the player concerned? That would be a really interesting conversation with himself to overhear. 

You're talking bôllócks.  :Chansiri:

On 05/11/2019 at 18:09, Tudders said:

In my opinion (purely as currently a watcher of football and previously as a player that got paid for playing in England and abroad, albeit briefly and certainly not earning much, and certainly not being a medical professional) I do genuinely believe that it’s down to a huge lack of confidence and self belief. *Note:I did not say that I KNOW it’s mental health related, but I genuinely think it’s a possibility*

Jordan Rhodes 5 years ago was one of the most natural finishers in the English leagues.

Hence the huge amounts of money that were paid to acquire his services.

To go from that level, to the way he has performed since he joined SWFC-in my layman’s opinion- points towards it being a confidence issue. If it was a nagging injury etc then surely that would have been reported by the club. I’ve not heard anything myself?

In my opinion, a footballer does not lose the exceptional ability that he had/has for no apparent reason. There has been no major injury, he’s still in his 20s?  

Am I ok to believe that it is? Or do you want to tell me what to believe in? 

If Rhodes never plays to the levels that he attained previously-and if it is mental health related-I sincerely hope he overcomes it, as he seems a genuinely kind hearted bloke.

How much did Chelsea pay for Andriy Shevchenko and Fernando Torres? And they were both pretty much finished as top level strikers by the time they went to Chelsea.

It’s not necessarily mental health, it happens to plenty of strikers when they lose a yard.

David Hirst, Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Stan Collymore, Andriy Shevchenko, Fernando Torres, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Alexis Sanchez, the original Ronaldo, Marco van Basten (and even Francis Jeffers)... there’d be a long list of strikers who were a lot better than Rhodes but were finished at 29

18 hours ago, waddleisgod said:

I think it’s a mentality thing with Rhodes,  and it probably stems from when he refused (bottled it) to take a penalty against Huddersfield 

Probably a massive regret for him and wishes he could turn the clocks back.

Should have gotten rid of him then. One of the most disgusting two fingers ever given to the club. He doesn't deseve a wage. Thousands and thousands scammed out of the club, that could develop new talent.... by a bloke that cared more about his old club than the one paying him a wage to pretend he's a professional.  Taken us for a ride.

Edited by quinnssweetshop

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 05/11/2019 at 19:45, Adam Reachs left peg said:

So with him scoring for the u23s yesterday seeing a lot of fans calling for him to be given another chance. For me I still believe he will be gone in January mainly due to his high wages and poor form. However if he was to be given a run and score a few maybe his confidence will come back and he could make all the difference, he's likely to score more than nuhiu and winnall, what are your opions fresh start or get rid? 

I never ever want to see him playing for the first 11 again. One of the WORST signings in our history when you consider the cost.

Pressure of the transfer fee, wage, limited chances, fan expectation, manager/chairman expectation etc...

Every pressure he has on his shoulders, could be lifted with a run of games.

Maddening thing is, while we're losing games like Blackburn, Hull, QPR, Preston, Millwall - He could have been starting those games to build his minutes up.