7 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Did he win the header for the second goal on Saturday or was it Iorfa.

From the south it looks like a Iorfa but I have since seen the highlights and it could have been Rhodes but stil not clear.

Kop would have a good view.

My initial thought from my view on the North was it was Rhodes that won the header but I've seen the replay and can't really tell

I know he really splits opinion in the fanbase but i'd rather see him on the bench than Winnall. I totally agree with earlier comments that a few minutes playing to the u23's hopefully getting some goal under his belt may do him good. If we are going to get rid in January he needs to be in the shop window. Also need to look at the amount of chances Fletcher and Nuhui wasted on Saturday

9 hours ago, vulva said:

In real terms, Jonk cost is far more than Rhodes. The money spent back then was huge. 

Not sure I agree - £2.5m was significant but not a extortionate amount in 1999

Jonk was a proven international and was ok at the start here before it all started to  turn bad.  By the time he left the club was in a very poor state. 

Rhodes cost a level not spent here ever before and has done nothing of note since day 1.

..an absolute car crash of a signing which for the record I never supported.

On 10/11/2019 at 12:20, dorian gray said:

both completely obvious using hindsight.

this hindsight is great.

I saw Abdi’s debut for us when he played 45 mins in a preseason friendly against Port Vale (I think).

Poor opposition but he came on at half time and looked a great player. Perpetual motion and great on the ball.

Turned out to be his best performance for us!!

4 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Not sure I agree - £2.5m was significant but not a extortionate amount in 1999

Jonk was a proven international and was ok at the start here before it all started to  turn bad.  By the time he left the club was in a very poor state. 

Rhodes cost a level not spent here ever before and has done nothing of note since day 1.

..an absolute car crash of a signing which for the record I never supported.

I posted this some time ago, but it's still relevant. £9m for Rhodes pales in comparison when you look at some of our transfers adjusted for inflation in the football markets:

A few of the picks for me are Sinton £39.6m, Hinchcliffe £26.5m, Booth £20.5m, Nolan £18m, De Bilde £19.3m, Jonk £11.3m, Sedloski £8.8m...

Rhodes has been positively cheap compared to some of the players on the list

Screenshot_20190701-140613_Chrome.jpg.d9195833fb83230511a771a82f4eeb22.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Minton said:

I posted this some time ago, but it's still relevant. £9m for Rhodes pales in comparison when you look at some of our transfers adjusted for inflation in the football markets:

A few of the picks for me are Sinton £39.6m, Hinchcliffe £26.5m, Booth £20.5m, Nolan £18m, De Bilde £19.3m, Jonk £11.3m, Sedloski £8.8m...

You look at that list and you could cry, no wonder we have been financial fizzed for the best part of 20 years.

11 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

You look at that list and you could cry, no wonder we have been financial fizzed for the best part of 20 years.

And why I've continually said that £5m for Adam Reach was an absolute steal

50 minutes ago, Minton said:

So actually Carlos spent peanuts then Makes you realise what a good job he did, getting us to 2 consecutive play offs on such a meagre budget

1 hour ago, Minton said:

That list’s nonsense. Factor in we were still a premier league club when we made all those signings.

We were one of the top clubs in the country when we signed Sinton and Walker and 3m was about the going rate for an England international then.

Rhodes is the biggest outlay Wednesday have made by a distance (even accounting for football inflation) because we didn’t have any premier league money when we signed him.

And where’s Jackie Sewell in the list? He was a British record transfer when he came to Wednesday so that must be the equivalent of about £150 million using those calculations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nilsson said:

That list’s nonsense. Factor in we were still a premier league club when we made all those signings.

We were one of the top clubs in the country when we signed Sinton and Walker and 3m was about the going rate for an England international then.

Rhodes is the biggest outlay Wednesday have made by a distance (even accounting for football inflation) because we didn’t have any premier league money when we signed him.

And where’s Jackie Sewell in the list? He was a British record transfer when he came to Wednesday so that must be the equivalent of about £150 million using those calculations.

Just a few points:

The list is only from 1992 onwards for starts. 

The adjusted price list isn't perfect, but it's generated by analysing the transfers from 1992 onwards to get a formula for calculating football transfer inflation. 

When we signed Jonk, Booth, Sedloski, etc we were most definitely not a top team in England. 

The money floating around in the early-mid nineties Premier League is less than what we get from the TV deal now, so shouldn't be much of a bearing.

I'm not saying that Rhodes hasn't been an expensive acquisition (so far), what I am trying to say is that £9-10m is the going rate for a striker at Championship level now. For example, Hugill went for the same price the same season. 

The all time record signing according to their formula is Gianluca Viali. He went to Juventus for £14.9m in 1992! Equivalent to £209m in today's money.

8 hours ago, Minton said:

Thanks for posting this, I find things like this very interesting.

Can you also pull off the stats for outward transfer ?

Do you have a link to the site ?

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Thanks for posting this, I find things like this very interesting.

Can you also pull off the stats for outward transfer ?

Do you have a link to the site ?

Cheers.

https://www.totallymoney.com/content/transfer-index/data/#filters?5=Premier League&6=Sheff Wed/options?order=9|desc

It only deals with transfers that involve the Premier League (or other top European leagues), but someone smarter than me may be able to work out the rough formula.

Selling Warhurst for the equivalent of £52m and Bart-Williams for £32m wasn't bad business...

27 minutes ago, Minton said:

https://www.totallymoney.com/content/transfer-index/data/#filters?5=Premier League&6=Sheff Wed/options?order=9|desc

It only deals with transfers that involve the Premier League (or other top European leagues), but someone smarter than me may be able to work out the rough formula.

Selling Warhurst for the equivalent of £52m and Bart-Williams for £32m wasn't bad business...

Cheers Minton

If the transfer of David Hirst to Man Utd had gone through I think we would be looking at the equivalent of £100 million.

15 hours ago, Minton said:

can you take a look at my salary for me?

19 hours ago, Minton said:

Its the definition of what is extortionate that is the key determinant here.

Those players all signed in the 90’s - 20 odd years ago and imo were not extortionate fees even then (Booth the exception, carrying a premium as an English player) 

Rhodes fee in 2017 was somewhat extortionate in my view.

If you apply the same inflation rate (to provide a l4l read) used for the players from the 90’s to Rhodes fee over the same time frame what do you get? 

it will probably be a lot higher than the aforementioned 90s players.

8 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Its the definition of what is extortionate that is the key determinant here.

Those players all signed in the 90’s - 20 odd years ago and imo were not extortionate fees even then (Booth the exception, carrying a premium as an English player) 

Rhodes fee in 2017 was somewhat extortionate in my view.

If you apply the same inflation rate (to provide a l4l read) used for the players from the 90’s to Rhodes fee over the same time frame what do you get? 

it will probably be a lot higher than the aforementioned 90s players.

Neymar's 2017 move for £200m to PSG is only £202m, so that's only 1% increase in that short time. Rhodes would come in around the £9.5m mark. As I said, we paid roughly the same fee for Rhodes that West Ham paid for Hugill. Going rate for a decent striker with a history of scoring goals. Again, I'm not saying that he hasn't been expensive in hindsight, but at the time it was just about reasonable for a man *expected* to score 20+ goals a season.