20 years ago today

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

And it’s been 20 years of misery ever since. Really do get less for murder ! 

Indeed, how many good seasons have we had in those 20 years.

2 promotions (from league 1)

2 championship play offs (2nd one still feels like a failure)

For some reason the season when Laws took over and led us to 9th? Feels like it was a good season.  I guess we had some good players at that time. 

Otherwise, I’ve got nothing 

I always wonder how other “big” clubs would have coped with our recent history, in terms of supporter numbers and finances 

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

For some reason the season when Laws took over and led us to 9th? Feels like it was a good season.  I guess we had some good players at that time. 

I always wonder how other “big” clubs would have coped with our recent history, in terms of supporter numbers and finances 

I really enjoyed the last promotion, that season was fun. The first Carlos season as well. Struggling to think of many other positives , winning at Cardiff aside (the play offs ,  not a random win at Cardiff city ! ) 

Edited by james o connor

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

To be fair you could say the same about Leeds United and Nottingham Forest. Think between the 3 of us there are 2 Championship play off finals in the last 20 years.

15 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

To be fair you could say the same about Leeds United and Nottingham Forest. Think between the 3 of us there are 2 Championship play off finals in the last 20 years.

Leeds Utd were in the PL for a further 4 years than us, and the financial rewards increased the season after we went down (parachute payments etc), and they got money from the champions league too. We’ve basically been in the doldrums since about 1999, without any major income beside Chansiri coming into the club. But anyway, yes those two teams have also been suffering too  

I’d just started working at Sky at the time and watched it live on an internal feed in the studio. God that was embarrassing.

I was so incensed that the next day I phone up the brand new Talksport radio station and had a ding dong with their fledgling new presenter Adrian Durham about why Wilson should be sacked (of course, even then, he argued the throw). 

That period between 1998 and 2000 makes me shudder.... ditching Ron, employing Wilson, abandoning Di Canio, keeping Wilson, Dave Richards jumping ship, signing the 3 injured Scots, the list goes on it was just one catastrophe after another and we never recovered.