Home Alone..

I find it a rare pleasure to get to a game on my own, generally I'm with the better half and a selection of our offspring which is also great. Twice last year I managed a game just by myself, one home and one away. Pure bliss, couple of beers, pop to a chippy and the joy of only having to worry about myself for a few hours, watch the club I love (however it goes). It's like respite from real life for me.

Yeah its how I have done matches  alone since the Old Man passed away in 2002.

Living many miles from Sheffield, (I travel by train) or take in the away games when there is a large ticket allocation. Sit in the home end at away grounds as well; did that for Reading already this season. (Drew the line at Milwall though).

To be honest, attending the matches at Hillsborough I get talking to people less than the away games; everyone knows everyone else who sit around them in the North where I try to sit.(Or did try to before this season) They know the seats that are available to POTG as it were, so you don't get involved in banter going around as not a Season Ticket Holder. Not a problem, just the way it is.

4 hours ago, SwellOwl said:

I was wondering how many of us go to Home/Away games on their own? Whether that be through choice or with no other option?

I had a mate who I use to go to games with but he has recently decided Australia is better than the UK, leaving me to go it alone. :laugh:

If I am the only one then I expect some abuse but I am a big boy and sticks and stones don't hurt me. lol

Why would you expect abuse?

When my mate got married in the mid eighties I had to go on my own

I did this for about 15 years, I was a season ticket holder on the South Stand

I started taking my two kids in 2000, their first game was Burnley at home, we lost 2-0

My daughter stopped going around 2007, but me and my son still have season tickets

There's nothing wrong with going on your own

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

I went to loads of away games on my own in the 90s, nearly all on the ICO which I haven't been on for years now (travelliing to Yeovil and back sitting near Fishcake will do that to you). These days I go to about half of the away games, the vast majority by train, but I can't remember the last one I went to by myself. Maybe about 2011.

If that was the game we won 2-0

Me and my son were on the coach with Fishcake, he never shut up all the way there and all the way back

He got off in Pond Street and we all felt we had suddenly gone deaf

Guest LittleG
3 hours ago, TheOnlyWayisS6 said:

I go alone- lost touch with old Wednesday mates and current friends are not fans...….

So I go alone not through choice. Its not the same but still enjoy it. 

Mainly miss the pre-pub drinks which is not much fun solo. 

Come on admit it, you haven't lost touch with old Wednesday mates and you've not got any current friends. I feel your pain. 

21 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Why would you expect abuse?

When my mate got married in the mid eighties I had to go on my own

I did this for about 15 years, I was a season ticket holder on the South Stand

I started taking my two kids in 2000, their first game was Burnley at home, we lost 2-0

My daughter stopped going around 2007, but me and my son still have season tickets

There's nothing wrong with going on your own

It was merely tongue in cheek comment. I don't expect abuse from the wonderful network of Owlstalk.

All I expect is constant Rowett threads!

• Like 1

Look at all the loners on Owlstalk....................................................;)

Seriously though I had a half season ticket on myself when we were promoted under Jones...Enjoyed it..Sit where you want on any spare seats.  When the winner was scored vs Carlisle everyone was hugging and jumping on strangers anyway,  It was nice to be accompanied sometimes but not a deal breaker.

Nowadays if my brother decides not to go I just go by myself, no big deal  Been to a couple of away games by myself as well just cos I wanted to go and I had the time and money.  You might bump into someone you know.  

I always went with mother-in-law, but she died in Feb this year.

Since then just go on my own, but sit in the same place.

Went to Preston last season on my own (for example), but found company with fellow Owls around me.

As a young'un I always went to games with mates, but now it is just "Billy"

When I ask my friends if any of them want to join me in flying off the islands to indulge in a two day road trip to watch a mid table championship footy match at a total cost of £400 the miserable devils always seem to be busy.

I’m on me lonesome.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, SwellOwl said:

I was wondering how many of us go to Home/Away games on their own? Whether that be through choice or with no other option?

I had a mate who I use to go to games with but he has recently decided Australia is better than the UK, leaving me to go it alone. :laugh:

If I am the only one then I expect some abuse but I am a big boy and sticks and stones don't hurt me. lol

errr, is that what he told you?

:ph34r::biggrin:

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If that was the game we won 2-0

Me and my son were on the coach with Fishcake, he never shut up all the way there and all the way back

He got off in Pond Street and we all felt we had suddenly gone deaf

Yes, it was that one, I've only been to Yeovil once and we won with JJ curling in a beauty not long after coming on as sub and I think possibly Miller with the second.

God that was a grim journey, never been on the ICO since for fear of a repeat. Been on the Wednesdayite coach quite often since, which used to feel a bit more exclusive but sadly now has a load of irritating gobshites on it so we go by train whenever possible.

37 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yes, it was that one, I've only been to Yeovil once and we won with JJ curling in a beauty not long after coming on as sub and I think possibly Miller with the second.

God that was a grim journey, never been on the ICO since for fear of a repeat. Been on the Wednesdayite coach quite often since, which used to feel a bit more exclusive but sadly now has a load of irritating gobshites on it so we go by train whenever possible.

That was the only time we went on the ICO too, same reason, one trip with Fishcake is enough for a lifetime

I used to get one weekend off a month, and my son was nagging to go to away games. I told him, next season we will go away on my weekend off, wherever we are

I could have died when the fixtures came out, it was Yeovil, Plymouth, Swindon, I can't for the life of me remember the other one, but it was a long trip, but we did all four, we went on the Wednesdayite coach for the other 3

• Haha 1