Home Alone..

I was wondering how many of us go to Home/Away games on their own? Whether that be through choice or with no other option?

I had a mate who I use to go to games with but he has recently decided Australia is better than the UK, leaving me to go it alone. :laugh:

If I am the only one then I expect some abuse but I am a big boy and sticks and stones don't hurt me. lol

5 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

I was wondering how many of us go to Home/Away games on their own? Whether that be through choice or with no other option?

I had a mate who I use to go to games with but he has recently decided Australia is better than the UK, leaving me to go it alone. :laugh:

If I am the only one then I expect some abuse but I am a big boy and sticks and stones don't hurt me. lol

Used to go to plenty on my own, usually due to mates on different shifts etc. Never bothered me, rounds in the pub beforehand were good value!

• Haha 2

I’ve had a season ticket on my own for years. I moved to the Kop after 5yrs on the north as I had a few pals from work who sat on there so I see them before the game and at halftime. 

Watching the game alone doesn’t bother me I’ve got to know the guy at the side of me over the last 3 seasons so talk to him as things happen in the game. 

I do alot on my own, travelling, football matches, boxing events etc...

Nothing to be worried about, if circumstance allows you, do as much as you can. 

Everyones tied up in their own unique situation, nice to share some moments but not always possible. 

Edited by bigash_swfc

On a more serious note. In years gone by my dad and his mates had a spot on the kop where people stood. You just rocked up and you were with yer mates. Same for me and my mates till my 20's and all seater stadiums. More for the bigger games, less for Tranmere at home on a Tuesday.

Miss that.

I went to loads of away games on my own in the 90s, nearly all on the ICO which I haven't been on for years now (travelliing to Yeovil and back sitting near Fishcake will do that to you). These days I go to about half of the away games, the vast majority by train, but I can't remember the last one I went to by myself. Maybe about 2011.

Having an August birthday, as a kid I used to get a season ticket as a present. I would go with a few mates who paid on the day. Some went most games, some a few. But as this was the early 70s enthusiasm faded. Being a true Yorkshireman, I had a season ticket, so I had to go to every game. 6 months of losses and "Sheffield Wednesday nil", I found myself on the kop on dreary Wednesday evenings alone. I had "our patch" to myself. Although my mates didn't abandon Wednesday completely, I often found myself going to games alone.

A little later, moving from Sheffield, the installation and allocation of specific seats and the arrival of wives/kids and I lost contact completely. This is pre-mobiles and social media. But I started taking my son. Now he's grown up, he goes with his mates and I'm alone again. We usually travel together, but he prefers the kop, me the North. I'll chat with my neighbours, but I generally prefer to concentrate on watching the game, so it's no hardship being on my own.