Bullen Out

50 minutes ago, mkowl said:

I prefer to think where a good manager could take us with this squad of players compared to where we would end up with Bullen. Why stick with average let's aim higher. 

Think how Dave Jones got far much more out of the promotion squad compared to the distinctly average Megson

A master stroke... You've opened up another can of worms in an already devise argument.

Jones did his best to feck up that promotion, but Megson had built a team that couldn't fail after we sunk United. 

This is a similar situation. Bruce and Bullen have built this team. All the ingredients are already there. Football is not all about tactics, it's about making the right signings. Unless you are Jos, there's no way anyone can feck this up. 

Bullen just needs to keep the squad ticking over and playing a brand of football the majority of our supporters want to see. 

Of course if it all goes wrong for Bullen I'm sure you'd be more than happy to see Megson or Pullis take his place?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Good point. 

It worked superbly with Carlos in that first season by taking the game to the opposition in a devastatingly organised way before CC tried to be too clever by changing a fluent talented team into a collective of defensive  statues.

IMO getting the second half displays this season into organised and sustained bursts over the full 90 minutes is key and not that different to Bielsas approach.

Clearly I’d rather we got it wrong at the beginning and put it right rather than fokking it up at the end when it counts...

• Like 1

Most knowledgeable fans would wait 10-15 games down the season to see how the team is really placed and I hope Bullen gets a real chance to prove himself, after all who has all ready written off Man City's chances of retaining their crown -or stopped dreaming of IPR ( instant pigs relegation) after their 2 games?

Readng  came out to give us a game.. We won. 

Barnsley just muddled about over playing and gave us space... 

We won. 

Milwall got there noses in front.. 

We lost. 

Luton gave us space to exploit. 

Wee won. 

Brief thoughts from me are we're getting there. 

This side is a work in progress, we're evolving. 

Some players are ingrained in 4-4-2 and will take a little time for cohesion to improve. 

We've a solid defensive platform that will improve over the more games played. 

Any team that has a go at us and trys to play on the front foot, I'd be confident of getting something out of the game. 

On the other side of the coin we need to learn how to break stubborn defensive units down. 

It was our downfall in both playoffs under Carlos let's give bully time to try and solve this problem. 

I'll give him 10 games and see how near /far we are off the pace and make a decision then. 

48 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

Is it safe to lump on bullen yet 

Sky bet payout for any interim manager completing ten games. Bullen has six games left, and unless he starts looking in Jos's tactics book for inspiration, the bet looks like a dead cert.

3 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

He won 10 and drew 3.  We were 3rd when he took over.

Not third from bottom then? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The last two words I have to say on this subject are: Nile Ranger.

My other concern is that if Bullen is appointed on his own and he fails on his own, this club would lose one of its key men and best assets.

A top class coach and trusted club man that would be massively difficult to replace.

Whereas managers are only as good as their last 6 - 8 games.

8 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Readng  came out to give us a game.. We won. 

Barnsley just muddled about over playing and gave us space... 

We won. 

Milwall got there noses in front.. 

We lost. 

Luton gave us space to exploit. 

Wee won. 

Brief thoughts from me are we're getting there. 

This side is a work in progress, we're evolving. 

Some players are ingrained in 4-4-2 and will take a little time for cohesion to improve. 

We've a solid defensive platform that will improve over the more games played. 

Any team that has a go at us and trys to play on the front foot, I'd be confident of getting something out of the game. 

On the other side of the coin we need to learn how to break stubborn defensive units down. 

It was our downfall in both playoffs under Carlos let's give bully time to try and solve this problem. 

I'll give him 10 games and see how near /far we are off the pace and make a decision then. 

It's only a matter of time before Bullen sees 442 is the way forward. Especially when you are pressing teams. Maybe not for every game. We briefly had Fletcher and Winnall both on the field, but I think he saw that we had to win the battle in midfield with his final sub. 

52 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

He doesn’t convince me with the 4 3 3

its ok playing 2 good wingers either side of a good target man, but that target needs help. He can’t win every header himself. Surely especially at home it’s screaming out for a 4 4 2 when starting Harris and Murphy. 

I suppose when playing 4-3-3 and winning 3 out of 3 is far from convincing :biggrin:. The target man can pull defenders with him for players like harris 2, murphy 1, hutch 1, joao 1 and fletch to get one now and again. Bannan will get goals, reach will, FF will, even rhodes and dave may get a few

4-3-3 all day long for me.

58 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

He doesn’t convince me with the 4 3 3

its ok playing 2 good wingers either side of a good target man, but that target needs help. He can’t win every header himself. Surely especially at home it’s screaming out for a 4 4 2 when starting Harris and Murphy. 

Its obvious how much better a midfield three works for us.

Maybe we could go back to 4-4-2 and stuck Bannan or Lee out right....

5 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

My other concern is that if Bullen is appointed on his own and he fails on his own, this club would lose one of its key men and best assets.

A top class coach and trusted club man that would be massively difficult to replace.

Whereas managers are only as good as their last 6 - 8 games.

That's clearly the biggest downside, but that's the nature of the game. Even Chris Wilder will get the sack eventually. 

Utterly ridiculous thread with a team top of the table. The fact the OP has more agrees than negs is depressing. Cheer up people! Just because he’s ‘not a big name’ doesn’t mean he can’t work. He’s doing great and tonight was good. He’s on track for the job after 10 games. Up the owls! 

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Can't really argue, with any real conviction, against either side of this debate yet.

3 wins in 4 is as good as we could have expected. (4 from 4 would be ideal, but unlikely :biggrin: )

But, we haven't looked great, and after that performance today, you can't really think, with any confidence, we're going to beat the better teams in the Division.

I'm torn.

Think I'm leaning towards getting someone else in, but happy to be convinced otherwise.

I love a balanced assessment like this. I thought Lee was doing a smashing job until I watched that first half performance. There's probably no-one in the Luton team who could even get a place on our bench (not even that lad Butterfield) but despite having poorer players they were much the better team. That comes from good coaching - making the end product greater than the sum of its parts. If only we had someone who could do the same for us. We really do have a terrific squad now but I'm not sure Bullen is getting the most out of them.

On the other hand he did at least have the nous to change it at half time and we got there in the end. I really like Bullen and would love him to be the one to bring us success but on the evidence of that first half I'd say their coach, to name but one, could achieve more with our squad. But until we find someone like that, I'm happy to keep Bullen. 

Edited by davetherivelinowl

He was given his first big coaching role at S6 under Stuart Gray if I recall. Do you think he could lure Stuart back to work with him? And would DC back such a move as he shifted SG on? I rate Gray as a defensive coach. Power to Fulham getting him back. Do people think he could return due to his past links with Lee. Bullen/Gray 1 and 2? I'd be rather happy with that. 

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Not third from bottom then? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

The last two words I have to say on this subject are: Nile Ranger.

Scored a great goal at Huddersfield in an important game. 

I'll give you 2 more words Keith Tracey.