Joao to Reading is close according to Dom

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Thought he would have only left us to go to a bigger team than Reading. Not exactly furthering his career. 

A few people have said similar now, and I don't get it.

Why is there suprise that João is leaving for Reading, as if they're somehow beneath him?

The fact that this move is plastered all over the media and yet no higher-rated club has jumped in to hijack the deal probably suggests that they're not too fussed about missing out on him.

3 minutes ago, greyowl said:

Hope the deal falls through, others should go first. Too good to give away. 

I don't see that he's been given away at all. He's a bit part player to be fair. I'd agree Winall or Nuhiu should be leaving, but in order for that there has to be takers, which there isn't. Can't sell what no-one wants to buy.

• Thanks 1

Between 5 & 7 million for Joao is good business. We are still in the poo when it comes to FFP and as good as he occasionally is it’s best move for everybody. Hope we can shift Rhodes on too and bring in Hector and a couple of loans and we’ll have a much more balanced squad. 

He might go to Reading and be sensational but he’ll never find consistency with us and we really need to start turning the squad over to be sustainable and remain competitive. He’s 26 so not having the word potential. He turns up when he can be arsed. Simple as. 

Fans who don’t want this deal to go ahead don’t understand how serious our FFP troubles are. 

People going on about offloading others ahead of Joao:

How the chuff do we sell a player if there is no one interested?

Moan about FFP and not selling, then we sell a player for a reported £7M, and some still moan, as if we can whack a similar price tag on Nuhiu and then sit back and watch the ensuing bidding war. Like it or not, we need to generate some money.

For me it's sad to see him leave.

He is our 2nd choice striker and there are people I'd like to see go before him, but for the price we're rumoured to get and the fact that he is inconsistent and at times lazy, it's a good deal all round.

Could be a fresh start for him down there.

Just now, axolotl said:

People going on about offloading others ahead of Joao:

How the chuff do we sell a player if there is no one interested?

Moan about FFP and not selling, then we sell a player for a reported £7M, and some still moan, as if we can whack a similar price tag on Nuhiu and then sit back and watch the ensuing bidding war. Like it or not, we need to generate some money.

Yes exactly and apart from selling Reach or Bannan, we aren't going to get that kind of money.

Good luck Lucas. 

I stand by what I said a couple of weeks ago, I think he'll really kick on this season now he's with someone else. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be selling him, sometimes players just need a change of scenery to refresh things, and IMO we can do better for ourselves with the millions and Joao can progress his career. Win/win.

Only stickler is the rumoured upfront fee. The total with installments (and fingers crossed a sell on clause?) is about right, but it'd be a little frustrating if we're not getting a couple of million now. But it is whatever it is (and atm that's mostly conjecture!).

Very talented player but after a bit of time to think about it, it makes sense for 5M upfront and the extra add ons. Especially if it gives us some room to sign a couple of midfielders/loanees before the deadline. Some Reading fans are claiming it's 800k upfront then rest in instalments, it that's true what an utterly ridiculous deal.

5 hours ago, bradowl said:

Yes I did, he did ok but nowt special, Borner looked more composed. 

He might have been sent off if we had VAR. 

Definitely a penalty mate, would not have been sent off. To be fair they looked a good partnership.  UTO