Joao to Reading is close according to Dom

What is the fee?

Not happy about selling Joao either. At 25 it could easily click this year and hed be worth 5-10mil. Much better off holding and seeing if his value can skyrocket this year. Hes arguably our best goalscorer.

Would rather sell Fernando if we have to sell, due to age/potential.

With regular games I can easily see Joao banging in 20 and earning a big money move next summer. Think we'll really miss his goals off the bench if we sell him.

Edited by swfc-dan

I rate João highly, and if he's going for between 5 and 7 million then we're getting less than what I believe he's worth.

But I'd still accept it as it seems this is the only way we can further freshen the squad up with (hopefully) the requisite quality in a few other weaker areas.

Still, though we do have the numbers up front, João in particular had a certain quality that we'll absolutely miss now, and that's a shame.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were sold again a year from now for triple the money so I hope that we've been able to negotiate a sell-on clause at least.

19 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Just reading comments on here and twitter about Joao and how Chansiri playing a blinder. It’s not a bad fee, but feels like peanuts when you look at what bang average defenders are going for.

Feels like another Antonio situation to me. Some think it’s fantastic money for what we are selling. I think it’s oretty crap. Can’t replace with better anymore for the money reported. Could argue as a current bench warmer it doesn’t really matter. I won’t be happy if it goes through. 

Joao could come into his own at Reading where as he probably wouldn't here if we kept him until the end of his career.

It's a fresh start for him and he might not be overshadowed by other players like he was here. If he plays regularly he might buck his ideas up and realise his potential. On the other hand the added responsibility might be too much for him or go to his head. Who knows.

If he gets 20 goals this season and becomes a superstar it doesn't mean he would have done it here.

Good luck to him for the future I wish him the best.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

What is the fee?

Not happy about selling Joao either. At 25 it could easily click this year and hed be worth 5-10mil. Much better off holding and seeing if his value can skyrocket this year. Hes arguably our best goalscorer.

With regular games I can easily see Joao banging in 20 and earning a big money move next summer. Think we'll really miss his goals off the bench if we sell him.

This. Joao is a game changer and is coming to his prime.

5 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Some of those figures don't seem accurate (despite being very specific).

They've taken most of the figures from transfermarkt.co.uk - is it considered a good source?

3 minutes ago, cowl said:

Some of those figures don't seem accurate (despite being very specific).

They've taken most of the figures from transfermarkt.co.uk - is it considered a good source?

Maybe not totally accurate but they look about right to me, in the right area. Point is we haven't moved on for years

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Maybe not totally accurate but they look about right to me, in the right area. Point is we haven't moved on for years

I'll not argue with that. Brentford seem to make the sum of our top 5 or 6 sales every season these days.

People saying they don't want him to go... are you feckin serious? Yes he has talent but he has been with us a long time and has been less than mediocre. 

You take the 5/6/7 million and re invest in somebody who can be arsed and will give us 100% week in week out. 

The only way I would be disappointed would be if we used the money to buy/loan an old has been. Invest in a young, hungry up and coming talent. This team must evolve. 

32 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

What is the fee?

Problem is LJ is worth something. FF is near the end of his contract, on a high wage and played about 20 games over the last two seasons as well as being nearly 30. From a selling point of view he’s effectively worthless. That ship sailed years ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

People saying they don't want him to go... are you feckin serious? Yes he has talent but he has been with us a long time and has been less than mediocre. 

You take the 5/6/7 million and re invest in somebody who can be arsed and will give us 100% week in week out. 

The only way I would be disappointed would be if we used the money to buy/loan an old has been. Invest in a young, hungry up and coming talent. This team must evolve. 

I think that's the main worry for people. We ain't got a good track record for this.

Knowing our luck we'll spaff it all away on the next Boyd and Jones.