• Fletcher
    • Bannan
    • Harris
    • Foresrtieri
    • Joao
    • Dawson

Guest Kagoshimaowl
9 hours ago, Colin Dobson said:

Three lovely goals to enjoy. Difficult to pick a MoM as several played extremely well. 2 things though - the Reading first half miss was unreal + after the equaliser Hutchinson superb header from Bannon’s corner stopped any Reading momentum in it’s tracks. Great to begin a season with an away win! Borner, Bannon, Lees, Fletcher, Harris & Jaio(a great cameo!) all terrific. Very happy!

I agree but FFS it’s BANNAN!

14 hours ago, gillyno9 said:

Reach really poor for me. What kind of a tackle was that for readings goal. Harris looks a player. Brilliant from joao to see the game out. 

Said it a few times, Reach is the player I'd sell to sort out the FFP.

5 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Said it a few times, Reach is the player I'd sell to sort out the FFP.

Reach will play 44 league games.

He will be unplayable in 6.

Our key player in 10.

Contribute goals and assists in 16.

Be solid and reliable in 20.

Work hard in 44.

Give us great shape in 44.

Will be poor in 6.

There are others who will show flashes of brilliance. But few who will give the manager or the team what Reach provides.

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Our key player in 10.

Work hard in 44.

Will be poor in 6.

There are others who will show flashes of brilliance. But few who will give the manager or the team what Reach provides.

Maybe but over 3 seasons it’s not all that good 

also you forgot to mention how many tackles he will nesh 

that one yesterday leading to their goal was a good example 

Just now, hugeowl said:

As I say to the lovely Mrs Holmowl, you can’t be good at everything.

Top player once again this season. He’s Mr Reliable, which is why it stands out when he has a quiet one.

The left side link up of Bannan, Palmer and Harris was excellent, and a joy to watch. Not so the right side though. The other thing that I noticed, although Harris’s delivery into the box was sometimes erratic, Reach could have made more effort to attack the far post. With only one striker, Fletcher, in the middle, it’s important that the other winger get on to the end of crosses from the left, and vice versa

Edited by gurujuan

44 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Our key player in 10.

Work hard in 44.

Will be poor in 6.

I understand what you are saying regards Reach he must be a managers dream player, versatile, got a great engine and great shot. That's why he is our most valuable asset.

But I do find him frustrating, his decision making is not very good and he does have a lot of games where he looks lost.

After 3 years I am still not sure what his position is, he looks ideally built as a wing back but it doesn't work. In the more forward position he just doesn't have that extra pace power and trickery that really worries defenders, the way the managers have tried him in many different positions makes me feel they feel the same.

I think what we see now is Reach at his full potential and if we could get 10 million I would sell him as I think that we need to get some serious money brought in to help us move forward.

"Fletcher was Brilliant, would have been my MotM if it wasn't for..."

"Fletcher poor, not the man to lead the line this season..."

Have we as a team got a centre-forward that the majority fans agree on? Nuhiu, Winnal, Joao, Rhodes, FF and Fletch all completely divide opinion amongst the fanbase. Id say that is quite rare, usually teams have a definate number 9/10 and then a choice of support.

For what its worth i thought Fletch led the line well yesterday, one upfront is always a difficult role, but he could have easily walked off with the matchball yesterday (two headed chances, and the strike from Harris' pull back was too close to the keeper). With pace on both wings, i think Fletch/Rhodes need to start as they will thrive on thise balls into the box.

2 hours ago, hugeowl said:

It's horses for courses though. He's not a defender he's basically a winger. You don't expect a racehorse to pull a cart and you don't expect a cart horse to win the Grand national.

It would be nice if he could tackle like Hutch but that's not his job. If he scores goals, puts crosses in, runs up and down the pitch tirelessly he is doing his job. He's good, sometimes he's very good but he still won't tackle much.

Our set up and organisation was very good, much better than anything we saw under Bruce so need to give Bullen a lot of credit for that. 

We played a lot further up the pitch than we have for years. Seen a stat that we had 60% territorial advantage including  that last period with 10 men. If we can keep this up and actually keep getting Bannan on the ball in their half we will do well.

Borner looked a proper player , a good talker which will help Lees, if he can deal with a more aerial threat when it comes he will do well.

Thought Palmer was very good, don’t understand the criticism.

Harris also very good. Not just quick, works hard.

While we know the individual problems the 3 midfielders have it worked a dream yesterday and we must keep with 433. We just look more like a proper team.

Looking forward Joao has to show he can battle Fletcher for the lone striker role. It is a tough job and both will get plenty of game time.

To stick with 433 we need to be looking for another pacy wide player, a central midfielder and unless Iorfa and Thornily can step up another centre back 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The left side link up of Bannan, Palmer and Harris was excellent, and a joy to watch. Not so the right side though. The other thing that I noticed, although Harris’s delivery into the box was sometimes erratic, Reach could have made more effort to attack the far post. With only one striker, Fletcher, in the middle, it’s important that the other winger get on to the end of crosses from the left, and vice versa

This is all down to Harris, take him out it doesn't happen. Everything went down the left because of him. 

It's such a relief to finally have a player like him again.

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Our set up and organisation was very good, much better than anything we saw under Bruce so need to give Bullen a lot of credit for that. 

We played a lot further up the pitch than we have for years. Seen a stat that we had 60% territorial advantage including  that last period with 10 men. If we can keep this up and actually keep getting Bannan on the ball in their half we will do well.

Borner looked a proper player , a good talker which will help Lees, if he can deal with a more aerial threat when it comes he will do well.

While we know the individual problems the 3 midfielders have it worked a dream yesterday and we must keep with 433. We just look more like a proper team.

Looking forward Joao has to show he can battle Fletcher for the lone striker role. It is a tough job and both will get plenty of game time.

To stick with 433 we need to be looking for another pacy wide player, a central midfielder and unless Iorfa and Thornily can step up another centre back 

Cant argue with most of that , good post

I thought the two centre backs were awesome

Harris will get all the plaudits because he was a threat throughout

But you have to be given a platform to perform and our two centre backs provided that

I voted Borner for my MOM

Time and again he got in the way, he headed it, he kicked, for me he did everything you want your centre back to do, great debut.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I thought the two centre backs were awesome

Harris will get all the plaudits because he was a threat throughout

But you have to be given a platform to perform and our two centre backs provided that

I voted Borner for my MOM

Time and again he got in the way, he headed it, he kicked, for me he did everything you want your centre back to do, great debut.

Plus that bit of skill by Tom Lees to save a certain goal..

9 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Excellent post and pretty much agree with all that. 

On the first half performance alone, Harris would walk it.  Over the 90 minutes, Hutchinson gets my vote.  Kieran Lee outstanding.  I think the midfield three of Hutch, Lee and Bazza is what makes us tick.  The heartbeat of the team so to speak.