• Reach
    • Lee
    • Fletcher
    • Bannan
    • Harris
    • Foresrtieri
    • Joao
    • Dawson

Harris man of the match for me, exactly what we have been missing since Antonio left. Looks a far more productive version of Aarons.

Westwood 6 - Did nothing wrong until the sending off but that could have cost us and there was no need

Palmer 7- Very good game, got caught out a couple of times with the diagonal ball over his head but good going forward.

Borner 7 - Solid game, never really looked uncomfortable. 

Lees 7 - As above.

Odubajo 6 - Not too sure about him yet, keeps making basic mistakes but his pace gets him out of things.

Reach 5 - Was invisible, didn’t seem to try and get involved in the game and no clue when he did get the ball. 

Bannan 7 - Pretty quiet game by his standards but kept things ticking and played some tidy stuff.

Hutch 8 - Very good game and got a goal on his birthday. 

Lee 8 - Just brilliant after so long without playing regularly. Some of his touches and turns open play up for us so well. Missed him.

Harris 9 - Mom

Fletcher 8 - Lead the line well and unlucky not to score a couple of goals. 

Dont normally mention subs who don’t play for a decent amount of time but Joao won us the game after going down to 10 men. Held up the ball up brilliantly and what a goal.

• Like 1

Great all round performance from the lads, though it may have been different had gone down to nine. Two little concerns, Odubajo isn’t a right back, caught out time after time, with the ball in behind. Mind you, he doesn’t get much protection from Reach ahead of him. We are also a bit vulnerable in the air at the back. Can’t dwell on that though, overall a decent controlled away performance. 

2082383398_MV5BOGY1NjY3NTMtZDNiZC00ZDM5LWEwMWMtMDQ4MjE2MTRhZTgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_UY317_CR1750214317_AL_.jpg.efab56ee51fff8ccaf565cce73346c6d.jpg220px-INF3-77_pt7_Air_Marshal_Sir_Arthur_Harris.jpg.3f6ccaff8ea896570e7ef2b7634a39f1.jpgharris-1.thumb.jpg.c9948643b1431065ec340dd4d326b5bf.jpg

Not sure on the nickname yet but heavenly refreshing to see the pace on the left from young Chappie Harris ...

I prefer Bomber ......

But my M.O.T.M goes to Fletch 

Ran his hair transplant off ......

What a waste of money mate ....

Blinded by the dome .........

WTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Westwood 6

Odubajo 6 might improve but iorfa probably still 1st choice there for now if not playing cb.

Lees 7 

Borner 7

Palmer 6 if left footed we might not need a lb, but lb our clear weak link and dubious goal line clearance aside, it could have been 0 pts not 3.

Hutchinson 7

Lee 6 good shift, should improve with games

Bannan 7

Reach 6

Harris 8 pace and determination, terrific signing

Fletcher 6

Joao 7 super sub strikes again, weird how he never plays like that when starting

Forestieri 6

Solid away performance, especially for a 1st game but not getting carried away, reading likely to be bottom half

Need at least a lb and cover for cm imo

Maybe another winger/forward as bonus too.

Keep joao unless decent offer and replacing with another pacy striker on loan.

Just got back. 

Good away day and solid all round performance.   Fletch, Lees, Borner and Palmer outstanding. Loved seeing Lee in that advanced centre mid position with Hutch and Bannan controlling.  Man of match for me was Harris - absolutely terrified their defence and a great outlet.  Link up between him and Bannan excellent.

Only negative was that Odubajo looked like an accident waiting to happen at right back, totally off the pace of the game.  

Great support - We were sat in Reading end and there were fantastic scenes in away section after 2nd goal.  

Well done Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Three lovely goals to enjoy. Difficult to pick a MoM as several played extremely well. 2 things though - the Reading first half miss was unreal + after the equaliser Hutchinson superb header from Bannon’s corner stopped any Reading momentum in it’s tracks. Great to begin a season with an away win! Borner, Bannon, Lees, Fletcher, Harris & Jaio(a great cameo!) all terrific. Very happy!

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Thought everybody was well above par apart from Fletcher and Odubajo

I honestly don’t think Fletcher is the answer to leading up top, great for games where we need to mix it in there but we’re so slow with build up play sometimes in that final third - we really do need an out and out 20 goal a season striker. Fletch will hit 10 if that.

How many sides have gone up recently without a 20 goal striker? 

Trouble is that 20 goal strikers aren't growing on trees, available, or likely to come here with our budget.  Oh, wait, there's Jordan Rhodes......

Westwood - 5 - Had nothing of note to do, except pick the ball out of the net and be responsible for a moment of unnecessary recklessness. 

Odubajo - 6 - Steady for the most part, but Barrow did get some joy up against him, and was caught wrong side in the lead up for Westwood's sending off. 

Lees - 8 - Superb display. Won nearly everything up against the Tank, Meite. Lost count of the number of times he defended the front post brilliantly also. 

Börner - 8 - Man of the Match - Immaculate debut. Didn't put a foot wrong. Looked calm and assured, both on the ball and defensively. Looks a very unassuming defender who reads the game well. 

Palmer - 7 - Thought he did well, barring the odd lapse of concentration when in possession. Assist for Harris' goal, and provided decent support for him.

Hutchinson - 8 - A goal and an assist...and of course a yellow card. Thought he started slowly, when Reading dominated the central areas, but grew into the game, and prevented Reading from linking up through the thirds. 

Bannan - 8 - Slow start, a wee bit careless in possession initially, but became the catalyst for a good team performance. The more he saw of the ball, the better we played. 

Lee - 7 - Few moments of genuine quality. Quick feet and a calmness in midfield. Felt he ran out of legs shortly after the break, but it was great to see him back fighting fit. 

Harris - 8 - After watching him for 15 minutes, I'd already decided that he's going to be a revelation this season. Exactly what we've been missing for the past 3-4 seasons. Lightning quick, direct and a genuine goal threat. Could've scored before his goal. Stretched Reading, and it opened up the space for Bannan and Lee to exploit. 

Reach - 6 - A tidy performance. Used the ball well, but was on the periphery for the most part. 

Fletcher - 6 - Worked so hard, and performed his task well. Lacked a bit of quality at times, but defended very well from the front. 

Forestieri - 6 - Had little impact on the game. Half a chance to stick Reach in late on after turning well. 

Joao - 7 - Brilliant cameo display. Caused Reading centre halves a real headache, and his pace and energy were the last thing Reading wanted late in the game. Took his goal superbly. I would be really disappointed to lose him...but there seems to be an air of inevitability about it all.

Dawson - 6 - Really smart save from the free kick, but other than that, did the basics well.  

Overall...

Great result, decent performance. Make no mistake, Reading are relegation fodder. They looked distinctly average, and on that showing, they are in for a long season. 

That said, thought we started slowly, was careless in possession and was just a bit too passive generally. However, we grew into the game, and once Bannan began to see the ball, we got to grips and began to dictate the game. Harris was a constant threat, and despite Reading seeing a far bit of the ball, they only troubled us on a couple of occasions in the 1st half. 

2nd half, I felt we started slowly again, and the Reading goal was coming, although they didn't really create too much. But, our response was fantastic. Should've scored through Fletcher before Hutchinson's bullet header. And for 10 minutes after that, we played with a real confidence and swagger. 

In the end, thanks for the rashness of Westwood, we had to sit in and dig it out. But we remained a threat on the counter, and got a well deserved third. 

Good foundations to build on. 

• Thanks 1

You obviously can’t take away from Joao’s goal sealing the match for us but I’m surprised to see people singing his praises for his performance......Bannan was almost exploding with anger at him for his lack of effort after coming on and had he not scored I’d have been up for leaving him behind to sort out his terms with them

But he did score which he regularly does and that’s the conundrum with Joao, there is a brilliant player in there and he’s got all the attributes but you could never say he’s put a shift in!!

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

You obviously can’t take away from Joao’s goal sealing the match for us but I’m surprised to see people singing his praises for his performance......Bannan was almost exploding with anger at him for his lack of effort after coming on and had he not scored I’d have been up for leaving him behind to sort out his terms with them

But he did score which he regularly does and that’s the conundrum with Joao, there is a brilliant player in there and he’s got all the attributes but you could never say he’s put a shift in!!

Exactly this.  Down to 10 men and under the cosh hebkept losing posession and bringing the pressure back on.  I like Joao but I cant see a role for him in this team if we go 433. 

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

You talk poo if puts the ball in the net what's the problem?

Westwood 6 - Looked uneasy with crosses from corners and had no need to come piling out for his sending off

Odubajo 5 - At fault for the Westwood sending off and never really got in the game.  Barrow had him on toast all afternoon.

Lees 7 - Did his job

Borner 8 - Looked nice and solid.  Happy to talk a touch and get his head up.  Enjoyed watching him

Palmer 6 - Thought he went route 1 far too often and looked a bit lost at times

Hutchinson 7 - Solid as usual

Lee 7 - Drifted in and out of the game but every time something needed doing he did it.  Once he gets back to match sharpness I think he'll be flying

Bannan 8 - Ran the game

Reach 6 - Looked a bit lost but Odubajo provided him with nothing either in support or in service

Harris 8 - What we've been missing for a while, a winger who can run at people.

Fletcher 7 - Did a job, needs to be a bit more clinical but does a great job for the team

Joao 8 - Just about the perfect substitute appearance

Forestieri 5 - Anonymous

Dawson 7 - Did what he needed to.

Just not bothered...