U18s | FINAL v Cardiff. Tonight - CHAMPIONS!!!

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Sounded as is if the lad Dawodu had a great first half, but perhaps wasn’t mentioned so much in the second half Still, it’s the team performance that won the game for us

Both full backs were guilty of over playing at times but their pace and the central pairing of Thompson and Rice got them out of trouble. The injury to Shaw in a collision with their GK was a turning point as although he played on his right thigh looked to be troubling him and as a result we were sat a little deeper and invited more pressure. But we deserved to win overall and it's going to be interesting to see what happens over next few years. Hammoud looks very clever and really quick, I hope we can keep him and see him develop too

• Like 1

Special mention to Dec Thompson. Played for Beighton Magpies right through until finishing the u16s season not so long ago. Just shows that you don't have to be with an academy from 7 year old, or that if not signed upto one by 14, your a dead duck. Like many would have you believe. Well done Declan. Decent first half, very good 2nd half. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Special mention to Dec Thompson. Played for Beighton Magpies right through until finishing the u16s season not so long ago. Just shows that you don't have to be with an academy from 7 year old, or that if not signed upto one by 14, your a dead duck. Like many would have you believe. Well done Declan. Decent first half, very good 2nd half. 

This 100%, I keep telling my lad this, hes 15 and playing at a decent standard but not being picked up, I just keep quoting Ian Wirght being picked up at 22, or, Vardy, who blew his youth hance and came through non league. If you are good enough you will get there eventually

• Like 3

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Ps Big Up WEDNESDAY YOUTH for providing all the twitter updates

Agreed - although prior commitments have kept him away from most of the U18 games throughout the season

Big thanks to George Smith too

Didn't learn of his contribution until the last few fixtures, but his updates have perhaps been the most 'professional'

A few opponents have provided good coverage too - definitely Cardiff for one

But I honestly think @John O'Brien deserves a medal  :biggrin:

It's perhaps one thing to commit to a 150 or so mile round trip to support your boy and watch his career develop

Something else to keep it up game in game out, home and away, when he's out injured

Blimey

Hope you and Jordan keep well over the summer, John

And hope we see/read more from you both next season

10 hours ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Hagan was my MoM. Great prospect on the right wing. 

He was brilliant until he got clattered not long after half time, never really recovered from that.

The spine of the side was very impressive, Rice, Waldock Shaw Hammoud all looked very impressive.

• Like 2