U18s | FINAL v Cardiff. Tonight - CHAMPIONS!!!

No suprise he’s been released. Some nice touches last night but choice of pass sometimes let him down. He’s not going to grow much more either.

More than a couple of lads coming through from U16’s. Lad called Luke Hall will do really well at U18 level from bits I’ve seen of him.

Be hard next season, simply because the current batch who have just got pro contracts are all more than decent prospects.

Still, all 3 goalscorers from last night, will  be part of the U18 set up next season.

• Like 1

Fantastic achievement by the lads. Be interesting to see how many push on from here? Also this success might tempt the Chairman to invest even more in the Academy. Personally I think it’s the way forward for us? Be interested to hear if anyone else on here agrees?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

I've only seen them a couple of times this season but I've been very impressed with dawodu both times.  Solid, very fast, reads the game well and v good going forward, can beat multiple players. A few others look capable of making it but I'd say he's probably the pick for me.

One question, if I'm not mistaken that's the 2nd time in 3 seasons we've won the league so why no promotion? Is it due to the category of the academy?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

I've only seen them a couple of times this season but I've been very impressed with dawodu both times.  Solid, very fast, reads the game well and v good going forward, can beat multiple players. A few others look capable of making it but I'd say he's probably the pick for me.

One question, if I'm not mistaken that's the 2nd time in 3 seasons we've won the league so why no promotion? Is it due to the category of the academy?

Yes can only play in the cat the Academy holds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it's due to the Academy category.  We are cat 2 so unless we upgrade we are stuck in this League.  It was the U23s that won the League and play off double in 2016/17.  U18s came second in the league that season and lost in the play offs

• Like 1

The game was very enjoyable to watch and no one who went to the game could complain. there was a good attendance and if it had been at a time other than Friday night expect more would have attended. The standard of football was better than I expected and Cardiff contributed fully to the game. The success should enable us to attract more good juniors to the club. Some of our team were first year scholars and so will be eligible to play next year and therefore expect them to have a good season next year.

Their has been a lot of criticism of the Academy and some was probably appropriate but it was under funded at the time. On evidence of last night the lads are well coached and were a credit to the club. They played as a team and that was important in them winning the game. 

It is easy to get carried away and say they have bright futures in the game and put them forward to be part of first team squad after a very successful season. It is evident that several of them have a chance of making careers for themselves as footballers. Quite a few of them have a good level of skill and vision and some also possess physical attributes which would serve them well at a higher level. Speed and a good engine are essential for top level football and this was exhibited by quite a few on the pitch. 

it may be rash but quite sure that more than one of these lads will get to play a first team game next season.

It was mentioned a couple of weeks ago Hammoud is the only one not offered a contract you have to feel gutted for the lad. It must have been difficult to just leave one name off the retained list for the coaching staff. Last night he did well and gave hi all so credit to him. I can only presume his lack of height has gone against him when the decision was made.  

Absolutely delighted with progress made at the Academy and hopefully we can get larger facilities and elevate club to top level in due course.

13 hours ago, Semedo's ferret said:

Hagan was my MoM. Great prospect on the right wing. 

I was not going to mention names but Hagan did look good and considering he is in first year of Academy must have a real chance. 

Several of players showed hey had a change of gear which is essential in todays football.

There are several people on here, who know more about our youngsters than I do

I do know there were high hopes for Hirst, Borukov & Hammoud and none of those were successfully transitioned in to our first team

Does this team have anymore players good enough to step up to our first team? ... But not so good, that the EPPP scam steals them away 

33 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Anybody know about any of the new first years for next year. Not heard anything.  I presume Luke Hall will be one as he has played a couple of times for the U18's

Bar one player all local lads. Luke Hall definitely and another lad, Corey Glaves. Seen a couple of snippets and videos on facebook and watched them up at Middlewood road a couple of times but don’t know any of the others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, camffiti said:

I do know there were high hopes for Hirst, Borukov & Hammoud and none of those were successfully transitioned in to our first team

Does this team have anymore players good enough to step up to our first team? ... But not so good, that the EPPP scam steals them away 

I think Conor Grant in midfield is the pick of the bunch

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Probably not no.

Think the Jos experiment with the youngsters showed that only a few will ever make it. Even then, one of ours we picked up from Everton.

Saying that, think no.4 (Waldock?) will make it. With us too.

• Like 2