U18s | FINAL v Cardiff. Tonight - CHAMPIONS!!!

15 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I might be well off the mark with this but perhaps the club are looking at what Borukov has done after being taken on a two year pro contract after a decent goalscoring season for the under 18s and thought it was too much of a risk offering Hammoud a deal? They may regret it, they may not but the club has to make a decision either way. FWIW I'd be surprised if Grant, Shaw and Waldock are not established first team/squad members within the next three years?

I not seen much of the u18s in last two years but saw Waldock playing U18s at 16 and thought he was a very classy prospect. Sees the pass and can play it. V mature. Surprised he hasn't played more u23s or been on bench for first team. Hope next yr he breaks thru. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But we’ve not really had much of an academy in recent years.

I saw a couple of games Hammoud played in. Ok the coaches will know more than me, but he looked the most talented out there. He was small, but you’d hope nowadays coaches don’t take height into consideration. The best player to ever play the game of football is 5’7.

He's only short but he's quite stocky and looks strong to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Etchesketch said:

Yes that's a good one but he was only a trialist.  He was there for a couple of months at the start of a season.  Had a good career though.  I was thinking more of a scholar/trainee/apprentice that we had for two years and then let go.

Plus we wanted to sign Jerome he chose to go elsewhere 

• Like 1

Talking to Eyad after the game last night and he is extremely grateful to Wednesday for giving him the opportunity to play and learn at such a terrific club. Eyad missed the supply of O’Brien in the second half of the season (his words not mine) and he could have been on 20+ goals if Jordan didn’t have that injury. I cannot thank the Academy coaching staff and Steve Haslam for what these guys have done for these youngsters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, John O'Brien said:

Talking to Eyad after the game last night and he is extremely grateful to Wednesday for giving him the opportunity to play and learn at such a terrific club. Eyad missed the supply of O’Brien in the second half of the season (his words not mine) and he could have been on 20+ goals if Jordan didn’t have that injury. I cannot thank the Academy coaching staff and Steve Haslam for what these guys have done for these youngsters. 

Hi John, do you know if he has a club lined up? When your lad was injured the goals dried up considerably for team in fact think he was carrying a bit of injury prior to him not playing as front line stopped buzzing. Just for the record how tall is Eyad because he looked very small las night but this could be because he looked quite stocky. I aw a game earlier in season and work rate of the front three was tremendous both with and without the ball and was backed up by midfield. Would love to think club could have second thoughts on him as just seems unfair.

Is your lad receiving treatment or his he resting and is it planned for him to start pre season with others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But we’ve not really had much of an academy in recent years.

I saw a couple of games Hammoud played in. Ok the coaches will know more than me, but he looked the most talented out there. He was small, but you’d hope nowadays coaches don’t take height into consideration. The best player to ever play the game of football is 5’7.

Sorry Sally, Kieran Lee is definitely 6'4", not 5'7" lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Quist said:

Hi John, do you know if he has a club lined up? When your lad was injured the goals dried up considerably for team in fact think he was carrying a bit of injury prior to him not playing as front line stopped buzzing. Just for the record how tall is Eyad because he looked very small las night but this could be because he looked quite stocky. I aw a game earlier in season and work rate of the front three was tremendous both with and without the ball and was backed up by midfield. Would love to think club could have second thoughts on him as just seems unfair.

Is your lad receiving treatment or his he resting and is it planned for him to start pre season with others.

Hi Quist. He didn’t say and im sure the staff are helping him with a move. He’s about 5.5 mate but it definitely wasn’t an easy decision. Jordan is back training now and will be all through the summer break. I will pass on your regards Quist.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully now we’re under proper management and clearing some players out, these lads will have a better pathway to the first team. That’s one thing I’ll give Jos a bit of credit for, believing in the young lads.

Would like to see some go out on loan though. Very surprised none of the under 23s have. I think Ben Hughes went to Gainsborough and that’s about it. The likes of Kirby, Hunt, Jack Lee, Borukov could all have done with some game time. Even if that’s non-league level, it means so much more than U’23 football. 

20 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hopefully now we’re under proper management and clearing some players out, these lads will have a better pathway to the first team. That’s one thing I’ll give Jos a bit of credit for, believing in the young lads.

Would like to see some go out on loan though. Very surprised none of the under 23s have. I think Ben Hughes went to Gainsborough and that’s about it. The likes of Kirby, Hunt, Jack Lee, Borukov could all have done with some game time. Even if that’s non-league level, it means so much more than U’23 football. 

Don't understand why we don't do it.  United and Rotherham do it all the time with their young players.  Mainly in non League but like you say it's more serious football and it can be for a month instead of these full and half season loans in the EFL.  Some of the players are back and forth between their club and a different loan club sometimes four or five times a season.

20 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Yes I agree.  A twelve month contract would not have done any harm and we need players for the U23's.  Looks like the only two strikers we will have will be Borukov and Damba who have hardly set the world alight this season. Then again they can't have room for sentiment and probably think he would find it even tougher in U23 football. I hope he proves them wrong.

The writing was on the wall for Eyad when they signed Damba. FWIW I think Eyad is a better player. His goals dried up at the wrong time and despite the injury to O'Brien, he still had the likes of Waldock, Shaw, Grant, Dawodu playing alongside/behind him. Could be while before one of our youth teams have a midfield as good as that. Then you got to look at what's behind him. Is that reason to let him go? Hagan is the year group lower and scored more goals this season. He's already had a couple of run outs with the U23's as well. He's mainly played on right wing this season but they have tried him up top a couple of times. Watching him the other night, he's a right winger for me. Vaselo has had more of a look in towards the end of the season and he could play up top as well. Great goal the other night. Then it's a case of seeing what the new first year incomers will be like.

How many times does he get called up by Bulgaria at youth level? Maybe another factor.

Edited by baggy the owl
added comment

58 minutes ago, baggy the owl said:

The writing was on the wall for Eyad when they signed Damba. FWIW I think Eyad is a better player. His goals dried up at the wrong time and despite the injury to O'Brien, he still had the likes of Waldock, Shaw, Grant, Dawodu playing alongside/behind him. Could be while before one of our youth teams have a midfield as good as that. Then you got to look at what's behind him. Is that reason to let him go? Hagan is the year group lower and scored more goals this season. He's already had a couple of run outs with the U23's as well. He's mainly played on right wing this season but they have tried him up top a couple of times. Watching him the other night, he's a right winger for me. Vaselo has had more of a look in towards the end of the season and he could play up top as well. Great goal the other night. Then it's a case of seeing what the new first year incomers will be like.

How many times does he get called up by Bulgaria at youth level? Maybe another factor.

Missed only 1 game all season. Not heard of any call ups. I first thought something wasn't right when he didn't get a contract in December when Shaw,Dawodu,Rice and Grant did. Waldock had got one year before.

• Like 1