Just watched...

... the time after the 5 minute board was put up. Went into geek mode with my stopwatch. Checked any little bits that the ref could have added on and gave him the benefit of the doubt. There were no more than 65/70 seconds so game should have ended at least a minute before the free kick.

9 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

... the time after the 5 minute board was put up. Went into geek mode with my stopwatch. Checked any little bits that the ref could have added on and gave him the benefit of the doubt. There were no more than 65/70 seconds so game should have ended at least a minute before the free kick.

According to the clock on Sky, the free kick was awarded at 95:29 (which would account for the usual rule-of-thumb 30 seconds that are normally added for a substitution). The ref was always going to allow them the time to take it. As someone mentioned in the matchday thread the ref only has to allow time for a penalty to be taken, but they use their discretion. I can’t remember ever seeing a ref blow for full-time before an edge-of-the-area free kick is taken. If he’d blown for full time while Dawson was arranging his wall it would have been controversial to say the least.

• Like 2

It shouldn't be the case that each ref can have such a different take on how much time is added for stoppages though.

This for me is less about the time that was added onto the five minutes, but about how the ref came up with the 5 minutes in the first place.

I'd say whatever the scope for interpretation exists within the rules, I think last night's ref was fairly extreme in giving 5 minutes minimum off the back of a second half which had very few stoppages - there were four subs, but I don't recall any injuries requiring treatment on the pitch and a stoppage in the play. It's not as though we were time-wasting in any obvious way.

After a game like today I'd like to think the ref's analyser files a report suggesting the ref be given a 'refresher' on the guidelines for adding time on for stoppages.

Also about the ball placement for the kick. 

Foul was in the D, but he moved the ball back 5 yards to allow room to get this ball up and down (as he practices in training as he said in his post match interview).

No way would he have been able to do that from closer in 

Why would he add 30 secs for the substitution when it took far less? The ball went out of play 3 times, 2 throw ins and 1 corner. There was no time wasting so again why would he add extra on. The end of the game at the latest should have been when they ‘bought’ the free kick. The fact that the useless tw@t allows them to move the ball back substantially for the free kick just compounds it.

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

According to the clock on Sky, the free kick was awarded at 95:29 (which would account for the usual rule-of-thumb 30 seconds that are normally added for a substitution). The ref was always going to allow them the time to take it. As someone mentioned in the matchday thread the ref only has to allow time for a penalty to be taken, but they use their discretion. I can’t remember ever seeing a ref blow for full-time before an edge-of-the-area free kick is taken. If he’d blown for full time while Dawson was arranging his wall it would have been controversial to say the least.

It's not about the 30 seconds after 95 minutes its about the fact there were 5 minutes added in the first place..... four would have been generous. 

16 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

It's not about the 30 seconds after 95 minutes its about the fact there were 5 minutes added in the first place..... four would have been generous. 

Completely agree with you, but that’s irrelevant to the point I was making.

4 hours ago, marshy said:

I think it's also what the ref perceives as one side time wasting. Just as an example, Westwood at times seems to take an age over goal kicks. 

Not the most meaningful example. Westwood didn’t even play, 

These things even out over a season. We got an even later goal at Rotherham and we’re very lucky Fletcher’s goal was allowed to stand last night.

I’ve also seen keepers sent off for handling outside the box. Last night’s circumstances would have meant an outfield player going in goal, so on balance we got away quite lightly.

• Like 1

It’s a minimum time added though 

we got our luck at Rotherham they got it yesterday 

swings and round abouts 

still encouraged by the way we play these days and I’m hopeful next season if we can refresh this team with Bruce and coaching plus a pre season we will be pushing top two not scraping the play offs 

7 hours ago, BIG D said:

Why would he add 30 secs for the substitution when it took far less? The ball went out of play 3 times, 2 throw ins and 1 corner. There was no time wasting so again why would he add extra on. The end of the game at the latest should have been when they ‘bought’ the free kick. The fact that the useless tw@t allows them to move the ball back substantially for the free kick just compounds it.

There was 58 seconds from when Mattias sliced the ball  out to the corner being taken after the sub came on. 

Edited by Mobley

1 hour ago, Mobley said:

There was 58 seconds from when Mattias sliced the ball  out to the corner being taken after the sub came on. 

46 seconds actually. He didn’t even have his shirt on for the first 15 seconds so why wait? Also they don’t count every second the ball is out of play. The game was up when they ‘bought’ the free kick and the whistle should have gone then. No reason to let them have a minute or more to take the free kick. 

Edited by BIG D
  • Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
11 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Win some, lose some.

Moan when it goes against us, justify the added time when it goes for us.

Human nature. 

Exactly. I was furious yesterday but I’ve calmed down now. We weren’t moaning when Iorfa scores in the 99th minute against Rotherham, all be it different circumstances. Win some and lose some i guess. Still think ref is a to as er though!!  :biggrin: