• Chris Woods
    • Pavel Srnicek
    • David Lucas
    • Lee Grant
    • Nicky Weaver
    • Chris Kirkland
    • Kieren Westwood

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/04/19 at 19:00

Ronald Deryk George (Ron) Springett - possessed the most remarkable positional sense. Standing on the Kop behind him, my mate and I used to say to each other that Ron was actually a mind-reader. Since he knew where an opposing forward was going to put the shot even before the forward did, Ron was always there first and made everything look easy because the ball would appear to come right at him. True, he belonged in the agile class of goalkeepers rather than the big, imposing physical specimen which is more fashionable today, but speed and mobility are no handicap to a goalkeeper and you can't always combine agility and physique. 33 England caps in an era that had a number of top-class English keepers speaks for itself. Interestingly, his Blades contemporary Alan Hodgkinson was also smallish but agile and also played for England (5 caps).

However, as is true with with Westwood, I think an important part of the keeper's role is communicating his confidence to the defence playing in front of him. With Ron behind them, you seldom saw a nervous-looking Wednesday defence.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, nilsson said:

It has to be Springett really. He must be the keeper with the most international caps gained while playing for Wednesday?

He’s before my time though so I’ve gone for Westwood. He’s slightly ahead of Pressman for me. 

Woods was quality at times for us but he’ll always be remembered some errors in the big games. And my main memory of Hodge is the game where Steve Ogrizovic scored 

After that game me and the missus went to an Italian on South Road Walkley and who should walk in but Hodge. I explained to the wife the monumental bolok he'd made in a not too discreet stage whisper and he went bright red. :biggrin:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

After that game me and the missus went to an Italian on South Road Walkley and who should walk in but Hodge. I explained to the wife the monumental bolok he'd made in a not too discreet stage whisper and he went bright red. :biggrin:

I do feel for Hodge. Very brave keeper and super servant for us.

214 consecutive League and Cup matches. 60 odd clean sheets.

But sadly remembered for Ogrizovich and the 30 yard Winterburn nutmeg...

1 hour ago, sternlad said:

When I began supporting the massive Ron Springett was coming to the end of his spell with us. He was highly rated by all the older fans but I always thought he was a bit small for a keeper, spectacular shot stopper, agile but not much presence to him in the close quarters company of Andy Lochead, Tony Hateley, John Ritchie (when lining up for Stoke against us) not to mention defenders like John Dempsey, Brian Labone , Ron Yeats, Bill Foulkes, Ian Ure and others piling in for corners. Martin Hodge closely followed by Pressman and Westwood for me. Hodge because of his immense stature, commanding in the area and big hands, met him at Plymouth Argyle in the 90’s smashing bloke too.

Swanny sorted all the big guys out for Ron. 

27 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

It wasn't even a massive error to be honest, Ogrizovic hoofed it past everybody and it was an absolutely freakish bounce off the wet pitch that went over Hodge and into the net.

I remember there being a strange silence after it went in, everybody seemed to be wondering if it actually counted as a goal or something. Shame he gets remembered for that rather than the heroics, but that's football!

16 minutes ago, Tommycraign10others said:

Has to be Ron Springett,  a hero of mine as I grew up.  In his time he was the most capped goalkeeper for England, having taken that record from Alan Hodgkinson, who played for the Blades.  Part of the 1966 World Cup squad. 

Apologies Alan Hodgkinson was not the previous record holder, but he was Springett’s understudy in the 1962 World Cup 

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I do feel for Hodge. Very brave keeper and super servant for us.

214 consecutive League and Cup matches. 60 odd clean sheets.

But sadly remembered for Ogrizovich and the 30 yard Winterburn nutmeg...

Incredible stat,one that will probably never be equalled.