• Chris Woods
    • Pavel Srnicek
    • David Lucas
    • Lee Grant
    • Nicky Weaver
    • Chris Kirkland
    • Kieren Westwood

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/04/19 at 19:00

I've been going to Wednesday games since 1998 and always thought that Goalkeeper has been one of our strongest and most consistent positions.

Kevin Pressman

David Lucas

Lee Grant

Stephen Bywater

Chris Kirkland

Kieran Westwood

Not World Class but all of them very reliable and consistent keepers

Not one vote for Turner has surprised me.

Our only silverware winning keeper to be on the list. 

Played in what was possiblly the best season in many of our life times...

Best season I've ever had.

If he' played  in the 93 cup final instead of Baywatch that Lineghan  header doesn't go in, just like Hughes ' didn't.  I'm sure of that!

Strange to me that Woods and Srnicek  (rip) two reyt  flappers on crosses and one terrified of getting bashed up have more votes. That's footy though I suppose.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

For me in my lifetime Chris Woods gets my vote.

Fans always pick out a couple of errors he made in 2 very high profile matches but throughout his time at Hillsborough he put in numerous great performances and earned plenty of England caps as the nations number 1 shot stopper.

I know people will point out that the large majority of his caps were earned during that spell under Graham Taylor but he was picked by probably the best England manager since Sir Alf, Bobby Robson to go to Italia 90 as number 2 to Peter Shilton.

I’d also add that when he earned his England caps their were far far more top keepers in the Premier League than there are now, beating off the likes of Seaman, Martyn, Flowers, Spink, Lucic, James, Walker and Cotton to make the England jersey his own.

8 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I think that's a fair assumption.

As previously said he is way before my time, I'm sure he was the best ever Wednesday keeper but I have based my decision on keepers I have seen.

Fair enough...but it is supposed to be "dream team" not seen team:rolleyes:

Woods was a terrific shot stopper. Too scared of crosses for particular liking though. Everything we conceded a corner I always feared the worst.

Too good looking for a keeper, IMO, and scared of getting his much bashed in. The like of Deane, Ferdinand and Fashanu terrified him in close quarters. I think of the absolute fearless bravery that Martin Hodge had, they weren't in the same ball park. 

More of a parrier than a catcher.  I was excited when we signed him of course. 'Englands number one'. But even from that first game against Villa there were alarm bells ringing in my head about spillages. 

I see a couple of votes in there for Weaver and Srnicek. Interesting votes. Anyone who's gone for them want to say what it was about those lads that particularly liked?

Maybe it was the fact that one of them played in a terrible, terrible team which may have made him look worse.  

We’ve had some good keepers, even David Lucas did a good job in a time that was pretty tough in league 1. 

I really cannot remember Woods being that good, i’m tainted from the flapping, miscommunication (Blackburn away. - Palmer pen goal) and the Arsenal Cup Final goal.  The latter I’ll never get over

I liked Hodge at the time, but Winterburn’s long range  league cup shot finished him off.  And he got eaten by a keeper (Coventry at Hillsboro). Brace maybe, not the best. 

Pressman was a good servant and has god reactions, but we had some serious beatings with him in goal  (not always his fault) 

Westwood, who holds the clean sheet record has been great, apart from a spell when he was carrying an injury. 

• Thanks 1

Springett before my time but I have read enough about him and sought enough opinion to believe he was an outstanding keeper. 

He was only kept out of the England side by Gordan Banks which says a lot. 

Of the keepers I have seen, it's close between Pressman and Westwood but Pressman just shades it as he played the majority of games for us at the highest level. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

Okey dokey... I'll start VB by saying am I the only one that didn't rate Pressman that highly. I think that he was in bit myopic because my overriding memory of him is him watching 30 yard shots whistle past his earhole on several occasions.

No mate, you’re not the only one.

Its a relief to find it’s not just me.

Obviously those who never saw Ron play can never understand why he’s so revered by our generation.

For what it’s worth I go with

Ron Springett

Martin Hodge

Kieron Westwood

Scott Carson, who was outstanding in his short spell with us.

2 minutes ago, spineynorman78 said:

General question not related to goalkeeper. Since this is a dream team will nigel Worthington be on the ballot for both left back and left wing? 

A question that Stubbs left me with as he bade me farewell to set off on his weekend off.

And which is why I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew!

I'll have to play it by ear. If he gets in the left back spot it won't be a problem I suppose. And the competition is likely to make it a two or three horses race in that position I'd expect.

21 hours ago, alanharper said:

It wasn't even a massive error to be honest, Ogrizovic hoofed it past everybody and it was an absolutely freakish bounce off the wet pitch that went over Hodge and into the net.

I remember there being a strange silence after it went in, everybody seemed to be wondering if it actually counted as a goal or something. Shame he gets remembered for that rather than the heroics, but that's football!

My memory is starting to worry me..if I had a gun to my head I'd have sworn the pitch was dry and hard that day.. I'm worried because you're right about most things.

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

My memory is starting to worry me..if I had a gun to my head I'd have sworn the pitch was dry and hard that day.. I'm worried because you're right about most things.

Yup, It was a dry day but there was a 100mph wind blowing from the lepps end towards the Kop. As the ball bounced over Hodges head and nestled into the net you didn't need to be a lip reader to see Hodge saying , "Oh phook" lol ' He'd still be in my top three though. Loved seeing Pressman in goal, and Woods, apart from a couple of clangers. I also thought Peter Grummit was a good keeper too. Player of the season one year  IIRC. However, there's only one man for the job in our dream team goal ; The magnificent Ron Springett.

Turner was also a good keeper and I can only think that it was his time as manager that has resulted in him getting no votes.

UTO

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Yup, It was a dry day but there was a 100mph wind blowing from the lepps end towards the Kop. As the ball bounced over Hodges head and nestled into the net you didn't need to be a lip reader to see Hodge saying , "Oh phook" lol ' He'd still be in my top three though. Loved seeing Pressman in goal, and Woods, apart from a couple of clangers. I also thought Peter Grummit was a good keeper too. Player of the season one year  IIRC. However, there's only one man for the job in our dream team goal ; The magnificent Ron Springett.

Turner was also a good keeper and I can only think that it was his time as manager that has resulted in him getting no votes.

UTO

Agreed...the save he made in the dying minutes of the Rumberlows Final was one of the best instinctive saves I've seen. He was a very good keeper.

• Thanks 1

True story.

In the north stand at half time I say to my Dad 'hey, that's Kevin Pressman sat a few rows behind us'

'Oh, which one's Pressman'

'The one eating the pie'

He really was

Springett was probably our best keeper in this era but I don't actually remember seeing how good he was so Hodgy has to get the vote from me. Apart from Springett, no other keeper in this list could claim to be one of the best in the country at the time - and I include Chris Woods who, for my money, never lived up to his reputation and was a big disappointment here.