Marco Matias

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

It's entirely Bruce's call on that one. If he sees releasing Matias and getting fresh legs in as the best way forward, I would be right behind the decision. On the other hand, if he decided to extend Matias' stay, I would be right behind that as well.

Exactly this

If Matias played like last night regularly over the last 4 years we would have offered him a new contract all ready.

Talented player but too lightweight and really frustrates me some of him gamesmanship in his time here.

Can feel himself hard done to with his bad luck with injures but should be a handshake and wish him good luck in the future at end of the season but a new contract would be madness.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Last week: Matias is useless definitely get rid.

Next week after FF scores the winner against Leeds: best player in the league 

I can't remember the last time Forestieri played well for us.

At best his game has become about winning dubious free kicks.

He is also a tad selfish, something I was happy to overlook on his first season.

Obviously if he was suddenly back to his best against Leeds i would be overjoyed but as it is he wouldn't be starting if it were down to me 

11 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

3 goals in his last 4 games. 

_106373878_matias_rex.jpg

Given the license to do what he's best at - get forward - and not play as an auxiliary fullback as he's had to previously... he looks all right again.

Positive manager = Positive players

According to the BBC he gets 72% of his shots on target. 

Higher than any other player. 

get shut, waste of time and money

11 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Maybe I’m a bit of an old sentimental, but on tonight’s performance it’s hard not to offer Boyd, Hooper and Matias new deals. 

I’d love to see if Matias fit for a full season could do. He’s like FF but quicker, harder working and less sulky! 

You have to be very careful with players coming to the nd of their contracts who suddenly start playing like Pele.  JJ was a master at doing this , then once a new contract was in his pocket , disappeared again. Big Dave was the same at end of last season , scoring for fun , gets new deal then vanishes . 

Toughy with Matias .. he's borderline in terms of keeping/letting loose

There's a player in him thats for sure ... but its about being consistant. If he can do that then why not give him a 1 year deal ..

but if Bruce thinks he's worth another deal then i'll back him. he knows best

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, keepitsteel89 said:

We cannot afford to just get rid of everyone, we wont have the funds available to bring in replacements 

It's a good point. If we're not getting any fees in for them and they are just being released we're only really saving the wages and any incoming would be low budget or frees themselves.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's a good point. If we're not getting any fees in for them and they are just being released we're only really saving the wages and any incoming would be low budget or frees themselves.

And, as our recent history has shown, just as likely to be injury prone. It's alright those that say Matias (and others) is a crock but it is quite possible that Matias might play out the rest of his career with only the odd minor niggle whereas young, hungry replacement might go down with a major injury within a month of joining and not been seen again for months.

Until somebody finally gets to the bottom of the injury situation at the club, that is the way it is. The bottom line for me is the question, do we sign crocks or do we turn players into crocks?

11 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

I don't think we should keep him based off him scoring 2, I think we need better.

We know we need better. That is the same for many positions.

Actually getting better is a different thing all together though

17 minutes ago, s.kirkbyowl said:

I wonder what is stats are for loosing the ball, I reckon it was about 80% of the time that he had it last night - thankyou and goodbye for me.

You’ll find the stats here: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1290244/LiveStatistics/England-Championship-2018-2019-Sheffield-Wednesday-Nottingham-Forest

not pretty reading though if looking to back up your theory. 79% pass completion with 3 unsuccessful touches/bad control and 2 times dispossessed. 47 total touches so about 10% give or take. 

Rated best player on park park by a significant margin. 

Edited by Philb125
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

We know we need better. That is the same for many positions.

Actually getting better is a different thing all together though

Needing better that cost less is the challenge. I wonder how much a Portuguese forward demanded a few years ago and what you can get for the same / less on a free? 

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Needing better that cost less is the challenge. I wonder how much a Portuguese forward demanded a few years ago and what you can get for the same / less on a free? 

This is where we need/have to hope that Bruce is at his absolute best.

He's developed something of a reputation (rightly or wrongly) as always having a few bob to spend.

We'll need to him to keep digging out deals the quality of what he managed with Iorfa. Very good Championship player at an absolute snip.

How many bargains are their out there to be mined?

Who knows. He's going to need a very high success rate in that market that's for sure.

That's why I was pleased in an interview he did about 3 weeks ago  when he was talking about getting a full up and running scouting network in place.

Edited by Lord Snooty

37 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Those whose contracts are up (Abdi Jones etc) need releasing. Of those under contract, who add nothing to the first team, then even with no fee you are releasing wages. Replace them with loan signings, paying a pc of their wages. So suppose we could get someone to take fox on a free transfer. You release let’s say 10k per week.  Bring in someone like Hector whose probably on 30k a week and pay a third of his wages. Very symplistic I know, but it would improve the team with little financial implications 

I'd give him another year or two.

He's just passed a full calendar year of being fit hasn't he? Was left out for a couple of periods, once under Jos and once under Bruce but they weren't cos he was injured afaik.

He's got ability, he's got pace and he can play a couple of different positions.

We're going to lose Aarons and Boyd come the summer.

Our only wingers left in the squad would be Reach and Matias, that's not enough bodies, so letting him go too would be crazy.

Matias has shown a good attitude about not being in the side, worked hard and tried when he's been given the opportunity.

If we sign better and he drops to the bench, that's fine, he's a decent player to come off there.

If he can recaptures of his form from portugal then even better.

So for me, definitely keep. proved his fitness, got a good attitude, capable of getting you off your seat and while some might say we need better, it's a squad game these days, and he's good enough for the squad.