Marco Matias

Easily one of his best displays in a Wednesday shirt. 

Worked his balls off and scored two goals. 

Do I think he gets a contract extension in the summer? Probably not, but he deserves credit for his efforts tonight. 

Seems like the same old faces are incapable of giving a player his props because they don't rate him. 

It's possible for a player you don't rate to have a decent game. 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Do wonder what he might have done here had he been played as striker/wide forward as he'd done the rest of his career...

Carlos' strict positional 4-4-2 didn't suit him nor Jos' containment tactics.

Do wonder what an attack minded coach like Bruce might have got from him...

I suggested he would play well by staying close to a target man.

Although João isn't one... I claim my first "hit" of the season.... now it's nearly over.

:duntmatter:

21 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I would be surprised if FF wasn't going...If Bruce doesn't fancy him to play in the squad we had out tonight...I doubt he's in the plans

I totally agree with you on this. We had a makeshift midfield out there tonight and FF couldn't even get off the bench to help us on the left hand side. I think he's on his way. So be it. 

2 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I totally agree with you on this. We had a makeshift midfield out there tonight and FF couldn't even get off the bench to help us on the left hand side. I think he's on his way. So be it. 

I think Bruce will be expecting a certain level of work rate, tracking back etc. 

Nando has all the talent in the world, but there's an argument to be made he's somewhat of a luxury item. 

Thought he was brilliant tonight, finally, he didnt just run around like a cat chasing a torch. Probably because he wasnt having to cover the full back constantly. Direct, incisive, took his goals well, and caused them all sorts of problems all night.

Fantastic performance last night and looked like the player we initially signed under Carlos. 

Not wishing to sound negative though, but he's hit serious "Shop window time" not long left of the season to either earn a new contract or try show  potential new clubs what he can do. 

For me he's too injury prone and inconsistent.

If your aiming for promotion you need players that give you this sort of performance on a regular basis consistently over a full season and he's been here 4 seasons almost now and we've seen this sort of performance far too few times from him over that time. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

8 hours ago, alanharper said:

Got to judge them over the 3 years they've been here and not one game though. 

Exactly this.

Need to beware the Nuhiu effect.

Don't let an up turn in form just before his contract expires cloud any judgement.

12 minutes ago, Nath83 said:

Exactly this.

Need to beware the Nuhiu effect.

Don't let an up turn in form just before his contract expires cloud any judgement.

If he scored 15 goals in about 18 games like Nuhiu did, I think there would be plenty who would be happy for Matias to stay. Matias now has a few games to show that last night was not just a one off. It's largely down to him now.

17 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

If he scored 15 goals in about 18 games like Nuhiu did, I think there would be plenty who would be happy for Matias to stay. Matias now has a few games to show that last night was not just a one off. It's largely down to him now.

Well put, he was very good last night, but one good game a season and some want to give him a contract extension.

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Excellent performance last night but it’s too little, too late. He needs to be released along with Pudil, Jones, Abdi, Boyd etc. 

Matias has had 4 years and has done nowhere near enough to earn another contact.

Sometimes it's easy to sit behind a keyboard saying get rid but, as things stand right now, I think Forestieri is much more likely to be shown the door and we will be limited on resources for replacing them. If Matias can maintain the form shown last night until the end of the season, he may be worth gambling on. A gamble is what it would be but we don't seem to have better luck with other players we bring in regarding injury. Goal scoring wingers are expensive. It may not be such a good idea to release the ones that we do have.

7 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Sometimes it's easy to sit behind a keyboard saying get rid but, as things stand right now, I think Forestieri is much more likely to be shown the door and we will be limited on resources for replacing them. If Matias can maintain the form shown last night until the end of the season, he may be worth gambling on. A gamble is what it would be but we don't seem to have better luck with other players we bring in regarding injury. Goal scoring wingers are expensive. It may not be such a good idea to release the ones that we do have.

He’s not done anywhere near enough. I can count on one hand, the good performances I’ve seen from Matias in 4 years. Players up their game before their contracts are up with a hope to getting an extension. He’s had his chance but over the last 4 years he has failed to take it. He’s been injury prone, being petulant getting sent off when he didn’t need to, he’s too lightweight for the rigours of the championship in my opinion. Excellent performance last night but not enough. 

This squad needs freshening up big time. I want to see some young, athletic, pacy, hungry footballers come into this existing group. I trust Bruce to deliver on this. 

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He’s not done anywhere near enough. I can count on one hand, the good performances I’ve seen from Matias in 4 years. Players up their game before their contracts are up with a hope to getting an extension. He’s had his chance but over the last 4 years he has failed to take it. He’s been injury prone, being petulant getting sent off when he didn’t need to, he’s too lightweight for the rigours of the championship in my opinion. Excellent performance last night but not enough. 

This squad needs freshening up big time. I want to see some young, athletic, pacy, hungry footballers come into this existing group. I trust Bruce to deliver on this. 

It's entirely Bruce's call on that one. If he sees releasing Matias and getting fresh legs in as the best way forward, I would be right behind the decision. On the other hand, if he decided to extend Matias' stay, I would be right behind that as well.