Marco Matias

On 09/04/2019 at 21:55, Lord Snooty said:

3 goals in his last 4 games. 

_106373878_matias_rex.jpg

Given the license to do what he's best at - get forward - and not play as an auxiliary fullback as he's had to previously... he looks all right again.

Positive manager = Positive players

According to the BBC he gets 72% of his shots on target. 

Higher than any other player. 

According to most on here he is lazy and bobbar. OT :duntmatter:

Let him play his natural game, instead of messing about chasing back deep into the defence.  

Make use of his ability to be able to ghost into the area unnoticed, a dream for Bannan.

If we have restraints placed on who we can sign then we will be very lucky to unearth a player of his quality. 

Keep him and play him. 

11 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Let him play his natural game, instead of messing about chasing back deep into the defence.  

Make use of his ability to be able to ghost into the area unnoticed, a dream for Bannan.

If we have restraints placed on who we can sign then we will be very lucky to unearth a player of his quality. 

Keep him and play him. 

yeah! i'll bet bruce is busting a gut to build as side with people in it who aren't going to chase back and give cover when were defending, and flit in and out of games like a butterfly.

just say no to 'lightweights'

the taxi's engine is running.

On 10/04/2019 at 09:46, Lord Snooty said:

It's a good point. If we're not getting any fees in for them and they are just being released we're only really saving the wages and any incoming would be low budget or frees themselves.

he'll sell the ground, and not give a sh*t who likes it, and who doesn't.

you'd think we have to slash our wage bill if we ever want to get back on an even keel with FFP  so its hard to see that many if any who are out of contract will be retained …..matias as not been good value for the fee and wages he's cost us so to offer him a new one on the strength of 4 years of not doing much with the odd good game here and there isn't good business sense .

Just now, dorian gray said:

yeah! i'll bet bruce is busting a gut to build as side with people in it who aren't going to chase back and give cover when were defending, and flit in and out of games like a butterfly.

just say no to 'lightweights'

the taxi's engine is running.

The player will be a release valve for when we are defending an outlet for the defence, instead of pinballing the ball around in defence, then maybe the defence can chase forward to help build the attack. 

Just say yes to quality "skilful" players

Cancel the taxi.

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

The player will be a release valve for when we are defending an outlet for the defence, instead of pinballing the ball around in defence, then maybe the defence can chase forward to help build the attack. 

Just say yes to quality "skilful" players

Cancel the taxi.

the 'skillful only' players in bruce's side IF there are any, will HAVE to be far more dangerous at the opposite end of the field than matias is.

he's doing a nuhiu (easy money to come) and you've bought it.

they're checking his boarding card.

Just now, dorian gray said:

the 'skillful only' players in bruce's side IF there are any, will HAVE to be far more dangerous at the opposite end of the field than matias is.

he's doing a nuhiu (easy money to come) and you've bought it.

they're checking his boarding card.

Oh dear, you're skipping down the conspiracy theorist path now.      I can't win that argument as you can make up any old rubbish to back up your argument. 

On 10/04/2019 at 10:29, cookeh said:

I'd give him another year or two.

He's just passed a full calendar year of being fit hasn't he? Was left out for a couple of periods, once under Jos and once under Bruce but they weren't cos he was injured afaik.

He's got ability, he's got pace and he can play a couple of different positions.

We're going to lose Aarons and Boyd come the summer.

Our only wingers left in the squad would be Reach and Matias, that's not enough bodies, so letting him go too would be crazy.

Matias has shown a good attitude about not being in the side, worked hard and tried when he's been given the opportunity.

If we sign better and he drops to the bench, that's fine, he's a decent player to come off there.

If he can recaptures of his form from portugal then even better.

So for me, definitely keep. proved his fitness, got a good attitude, capable of getting you off your seat and while some might say we need better, it's a squad game these days, and he's good enough for the squad.

Inclined to agree with this to be fair ... out financial circumstances might mean we'r need to keep him ...

51 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Here we go - few goals and he’s a world beater. 

Nearly always injured and blows very hot and cold.

Hes been injury free for long periods of time ..

41 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Oh dear, you're skipping down the conspiracy theorist path now.      I can't win that argument as you can make up any old rubbish to back up your argument. 

there's no 'old rubbish' here, matias is a lightweight, he's pretends to offers defensive cover, he's lacking in aggression, he's not the 'roll your sleeves up type' and he's nowhere near the player we hoped we had after his goal at l**ds.

IF you or anyone else cannot see that certain players coming to the end of their 'very lucrative sheffield wednesday' contracts are suddenly going to 'find form', then you are 'naive'.

no more lightweight w*nkers in wednesday shirts on good money, or bad money for that matter.

we'll leave his injury record out of it for the present.

4 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Inclined to agree with this to be fair ... out financial circumstances might mean we'r need to keep him ...

he's 'injury free from august to october, and march to april, he's a southern european 'delicate' ball player, he isn't cut out for english championship football, and it's shown to all but our 'dreamers'.

IF we are to 'seriously' challenge for a promotion spot next term, then the jones', abdi's, matias' and co need to showcase their skills elsewhere, somewhere with 'no great ambition' preferably.

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

This summer is a huge financial opportunity and we have to make it count, and that means some hard decisions to allow us to rebuild. That means:

Pudil

Jones

Abdi

Boyd

Matias

Hooper

Lee

Should all be released. The latter two could always be re-signed later in the Summer

Van Aken

Rhodes

Pelupessy

Nuhiu

Winnall

Should be sold - or given to - the highest bidder

FF - 4m

Joao - 6m

Should be sold if we get over the above amount

Penney

Thorniley

Wildsmith

Should be moved on if we get the chance

Don’t underestimate the size of opportunity nor the size of task to rebuild that we have. 

Injuries have crippled us (pun intended) for years. We finally have the chance to sort that out

Seems a bit drastic but unlike many a season gone by I’d not be overly upset if any player is moved on. 

However moving on half a squad and replacing many is a huge risk when the current crop are performing at top 6 form. Based on that I’d assume we are more fine tuning than complete overhauling. 

39 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Define long periods .

He missed virtually all of last season.

We need players who can play 30 games plus, not ones that make cameos.

9 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Seems a bit drastic but unlike many a season gone by I’d not be overly upset if any player is moved on. 

However moving on half a squad and replacing many is a huge risk when the current crop are performing at top 6 form. Based on that I’d assume we are more fine tuning than complete overhauling. 

I think we might see several moved out (7/8/9 if possible) and 5/6 in (signings and loans), with the 5/6 really competitively challenging for first team places it would strengthen the team, the bench and the squad with players who have been strongly involved in our upturn in form finding they have to fight for their place in the side, whilst we start to move the mistakes on.

This season, Matias was injured for about 5 weeks after the Villa away game and then was either injured or overlooked for a couple of weeks straight after Bruce came in. He's been in the matchday 18 for about 3 quarters of our games this season.

Even last season he was actually in the matchday 18 for 24 out of 53 games - not great, but for many of the others he was actually fit, but just not in the 18.

In fact, for the latter part of CC's reign he was actually overlooked rather than injured.

Many of our fans have an exaggerated perception of the amount of time he's been injured, but it's understandable and stems from his tendency to break down after a run of games. Less so this season, but previously it had happened about 3 or 4 times and for many this will be the indelible impression they have.

I think overall, you still have to call Matias 'unreliable' in terms of fitness. He's been far better in the last 18 months in this regard than previously, but coming to the close of his 4 seasons with us, it's still the biggest question mark that hangs over Matias and one which I expect will ultimately count most against him when it comes to offering him a new contract. Unless our physios can put forward compelling mitigation for his injuries, then I expect he'll be released come June.

A shame because I rate him highly ability wise. I think he works far harder than many think too. With 11 goals from 35 starts altogether, I think his attacking threat is decent. Offensive players do drift in and out of games, and this is all too often true of Matias though. When FF is starved of the ball he'll always come looking for it, but this doesn't stand out as being the way Matias is. Having said that, I think his running off the ball is better than Forestieri's, in that I think he makes far better runs; he plays off-the-shoulder as good as any of our players and has often been underused in this regard, especially when we've so often been in desperate need of pace. Some say he goes down too easily, and when he gets nothing for it it can be very frustrating, but he actually wins us a lot of free kicks in dangerous areas, and that ought to be seen as a legitimate part of any offensive player's job.

38 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I think we might see several moved out (7/8/9 if possible) and 5/6 in (signings and loans), with the 5/6 really competitively challenging for first team places it would strengthen the team, the bench and the squad with players who have been strongly involved in our upturn in form finding they have to fight for their place in the side, whilst we start to move the mistakes on.

No one knows what Bruce will do but he had more than long enough to assess the squad.

..as such I am confident he will make the sort of decisions that eluded his two predecessors.