Marco Matias

I actually thought last season he had a really good spell and worked hard but only got one goal for his rewards. Injuries have blighted his career at Wednesday. There is certainly talent with Marco.

It could be a case of he gets offered say a 1 year deal with his basic salary reduced, but maybe add ons in terms of appearances??

Edited by sexpistol

6 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Would I give Marco a new contract? Probably not, but he played well tonight and how anyone cannot see that baffles me. As well as his two goals he also forced a great save from their keeper in the first half.

If MM does leave in the summer, let’s remember he scored arguably one of the best Wednesday goals in living memory against Leeds.

And he also put in two great crosses in the first half, one for Joao and one for Fletch, both of which could have led to goals.

I'm another one of those who doesn't rate him but have to admit he did a lot of good things tonight 

Something I’ve noticed with MM is that he makes some cracking early runs in behind but we very rarely attempt to find him / wait too long and the chance has gone or he’s then offside when the ball eventually arrives.

I could see him doing pretty well and bagging a fair few goals in a side that played 433 with players on his wavelength. Probably not us though. 

23 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

his runs in behind and he’s a goal threat something we lack from midfield

^^^ 

His second is a classic example. To use the old parlance he's one of those players that 'gambles'. Not enough players do that these days. 

Even Boyds goal ot was noticable that Matias streaked down the pitch to make an extra man in the box. It something we haven't see  enough off from our lads, especially when Lee isn't playing.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

^^^ 

His second is a classic example. To use the old parlance he's one of those players that 'gambles'. Not enough players do that these days. 

Even Boyds goal ot was noticable that Matias streaked down the pitch to make an extra man in the box. It something we haven't see  enough off from our lads, especially when Lee isn't playing.

True, how we have missed Lee, his work rate and willingness to make those runs.

I really like Matas but he can be frustrating and his injury record is a big concern,

I don't know what wage he is on but I don't get it when people say 'he isn't good enough'. Good enough for what? To be a squad member of a team in a likely transfer embargo. Really?

First name on the team sheet, obviously not. But as a member of the squad, he's is easily good enough. 

46 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Really? Body’s first half decent game of the season. Apart from the goals matias was crap. Three decent performances in four years. Let’s give them four year deals. FFS. 

I thought Matias put in some good crosses first half. Now scored three under Bruce -  who might just rate him. 

His injury record since his arrival is a big blot on the paper.

Not being played in the best positions didn't help him.

I think Bruce might be the man to get something from him.

But....that injury record....combined with him being 29... its a big call for the manager to make. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I feel sorry for a lot of these layers who have been mismanaged at wednesday.

Not had a chance to be their best.

It is staggering when you see some of them playing like they are now.

Even Fletcher is looking twice the player he's been since he joined. Him and Hooper look a class above the division now.

Really glad Matias is getting to show what he can do at last. Such quick thinking for the 1st goal, and great persistence for 2nd.

Question is can we trust him to avoid another major injury?

Edited by swfc-dan

42 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Hes absolutely dogga

What is wrong with some people - completely useless, he scores two goals and everyone’s rating him?

He misplaced pass after pass and cannot read the game at all 

In complete agreement and have been so since the first half I saw him play v Bristol City in 2015. 

Tonight’s goals don’t change that 

45 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Only Morgan Fox completed more tackles than Matias, but I fear I’m wasting my time here! Maybe football isn’t the game for you, you seem far too highly strung to enjoy it, well to enjoy being an owl anyhow! 

Phil, being a fan isn’t just blindly clapping every player you have.  Some fans are of the opinion that to improve and to win more we need far better quality than Matias (I’m also one of them).  Whilst they wear the shirt they get 100% backing at the ground, but there is nothing wrong with believing that you could replace a player and do better. There’s nothing wrong with looking at cold hard facts and admitting your own players aren’t good enough. We still turn up every week and support them. 

being a true fan isn’t just accepting everything that happens at the club without question and being blind to reality. 

Threads like this kill me.

To be fair, I think we have to take into account how these "Players" actually "play" ...under Steve Bruce

The juries out at the minute...So it should be...but from what ive seen since Jos took the train to wherever the f.ook

Palmer looks a better player

Fox ..looks a better player

Pelupessy....looks a better player

Lees ..looks a better player...

Matias...Looks a better player

Its not simply whats done ON the pitch is it?

Who the f.ook knows what Luhukay was instructing the players to do, where to run, what positions to take up?

Lets face it this was a manager who thought Hutch and Westwood were "peripheral" to the side.

I honestly parked up on Wadsley lane..saw the line up...and thought about driving back home again...

Not a bad performance though was it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slightlybruisedman said:

Some fans are of the opinion that to improve and to win more we need far better quality than Matias

Think that's 99% of fans. 

Think the worry is are we going to be able to get any better players in with the whole transfer situation..

We could offload all this lot but there's no guarantee replacments will be better. Especially if we're having to shop at a different level to what we have the past 3 years wages and fees wise. 

Just now, asteener1867 said:

To be fair, I think we have to take into account how these "Players" actually "play" ...under Steve Bruce

The juries out at the minute...So it should be...but from what ive seen since Jos took the train to wherever the f.ook

Who the f.ook knows what Luhukay was instructing the players to do, where to run, what positions to take up?

Lets face it this was a manager who thought Hutch and Westwood were "peripheral" to the side.

I honestly parked up on Wadsley lane..saw the line up...and thought about driving back home again...

I was fearing for the worst when walking along Penistone Road to ground ,checking my phone and seeing the line up. First half I thought wasn't great but certainly much improved second.

I agree the likes of Palmer and dare I say Fox look much improved players under Bruce. In regards to Matias, delighted for him to get two but in my opinion we need to move him and Boyd on in the summer. Boyd is a real trier however he simply doesn't have the pace to be effective in games.

We have got to take advantage of getting rid of players who have been on the edge of the team whilst they have been here when we can

Since he has been here he’s offered very little and the odd good performance shouldn’t cloud judgment about his overall fitness and ability 

Matias and Boyd need to be let go and new blood introduced to the squad. This team needs overhaul not resignings of past failures 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Exactly thats the thing. We need to evaluate every player SINCE Bruce arrived, as almost every player is playing at twice the level than under Dross.

Haven't seen enough of Matias under Bruce which makes it hard to judge. Tonight he was excellent but needs to repeat that in every game remaining to be in with a shot of a new deal for me.

He definately has that pace and directness we really could use...if he can stay fit.

Edited by swfc-dan

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Really? Body’s first half decent game of the season. Apart from the goals matias was crap. Three decent performances in four years. Let’s give them four year deals. FFS. 

Apart from the goals, matias was crap!!!!   

Did I read that right?  

Isn't that what he gets paid to do?

Apart from the goals he defended, Hector was crap!!!!