Gary Hooper

31 minutes ago, Kevan said:

Hooper's ball retention is far and away better than any other forward in the club.

He always hold his own under any amount of pressure which makes a massive difference to our play.

Gives our defenders more confidence as well as attackers.

He’s a top top striker / link man in this league. Would love him to be with us next season.

It’s a huge IF but a fully fit side all season including the likes of Hooper, Lee, Hutch, FF, Aarons, Bannan, Hector, Lazaar, Westwood, Fletcher...managed by Bruce would go really, really close next year

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

Not really, I thought he was fairly sloppy in possession when he came on.  Gave the ball away a few times under very little pressure.

Not saying he's a bad player, just surprised that there's a thread praising his contribution when he was pretty average at best in his cameo?

Sloppy in possession? In that game tonight? Give yer head a wobble mate.

• Haha 2

Guest mkowl

Loved the one two he did just after he came on. It was kicked too far in front of him, not flipping chasing that 

58 minutes ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

Not really, I thought he was fairly sloppy in possession when he came on.  Gave the ball away a few times under very little pressure.

Not saying he's a bad player, just surprised that there's a thread praising his contribution when he was pretty average at best in his cameo?

Must have missed that. Didn’t see many touches from him but the ones I did see showed his quality again. Class player.  

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Thought exactly the game 

His first touch and movement is ridiculous. A pleasure to watch in that second half 

And now we know why we’ve never had options from throw-ins, because hooperman has been out!

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

Absolutely immense

Knows what ball to play before it’s even at his feet 

Immense when watching him in comparison to Matias, Joao etc who just bumble around on the ball

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

He's already one or two steps ahead of the opposition. 

He's a joy to watch.

So torn on whether we could/should keep hold.

If you could somehow guarantee his match fitness it would be a no brainer. 

Bruce clearly rates him very highly. 

22 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

I said to my son tonight - just watch Hooper - his movement is just superb - his touch is pure class - his football brain is as sharp as they come.

Oh for him being fit for 30+ games a season 

All spot on. When we signed him I thought we had got a goal poacher and that's it. Seeing him play live reveals he is so much more than that and even in the couple of games since he return you can see what an asset he is.

As has been said he is a pleasure to watch and must be a pleasure to play in the same team with as his link up play makes us far more fluid in possession.

6 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

One year deal with a 30% pay cut. Think that would be about right. 

Maybe for you but Hooper and his agent might have different ideas. Why would he do that when there are potentially lucrative offers to be had in China, USA etc.?

Just now, ChinaOwl said:

Maybe for you but Hooper and his agent might have different ideas. Why would he do that when there are potentially lucrative offers to be had in China, USA etc.?

Then that’s his choice. But we’d be bonkers to offer same deal to a player who has played 3 games in 12 months. He has a dreadful injury record and is his 30’s. If he wants to go off and play in a pub league abroad then that’s his call, but we have to safeguard the clubs finances in these tricky FFP times. 

1 minute ago, owls maniac said:

Then that’s his choice. But we’d be bonkers to offer same deal to a player who has played 3 games in 12 months. He has a dreadful injury record and is his 30’s. If he wants to go off and play in a pub league abroad then that’s his call, but we have to safeguard the clubs finances in these tricky FFP times. 

To be honest, if I were in his place at the stage of his career that he has reached, I would take a chance on one last pay day abroad rather than play on a reduced contract. 

4 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

To be honest, if I were in his place at the stage of his career that he has reached, I would take a chance on one last pay day abroad rather than play on a reduced contract. 

Depends if he wants to be part of the Steve Bruce revolution. He could easily go off to China in 12 months time.