Gary Hooper

11 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Didn’t Hooper score and was instrumental in the Cardiff home win (where he lobbed the keeper?) 

I think you’re wrong to be honest. Hooper completely changes our dynamic and the way we play. We would have gone into the play offs with a much better chance 

It is fair to say that having Hooper fit in the play-offs would have significantly increased our chances. Nobody can say with any degree of certainty that Hooper was the difference between winning the play-offs and not doing so. 

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

It is fair to say that having Hooper fit in the play-offs would have significantly increased our chances. Nobody can say with any degree of certainty that Hooper was the difference between winning the play-offs and not doing so. 

I don’t think it’s Hooper alone

But having him in the team breeds confidence in the whole side, players trust him and know how to use him in that hole role

We lack anyone to do that at all without him in the squad - we just lump it up top and collect seconds 

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Didn’t Hooper score and was instrumental in the Cardiff home win (where he lobbed the keeper?) 

I think you’re wrong to be honest. Hooper completely changes our dynamic and the way we play. We would have gone into the play offs with a much better chance 

Yup, scored 2. And made another one, chased the keeper down and lobbed him, from the right wing, took a huge deflection on the way and went down as an own goal. Won us the game.

Not sure what game the other guy is talking about.

On 10/04/2019 at 09:55, Sonny said:

Was just going to mention that. Think it was Matias who sent the ball down the wing and Hooper was just like nah, you’ve got the wrong guy there.

Absolutely love him  

Would the reaction have been the same had it been Joao refusing to chase a pass down? 

14 hours ago, katie melua said:

There's an argument there that some of those wins came around when Hooper wasn't even on the pitch. The winners against Cardiff and Ipswich for example came about when Hooper was off. I may be wrong but the Cardiff game i'm certain was won after Hooper was substituted.

There's no way with Hooper in the side, that idiot would have changed his approach at Huddersfield. To go to a side that was playing a rookie 17 year old keeper in net and against a side that you've done the double over and play a 10-0-0 formation is ridiculous. 

Even in the second leg, his approach was shocking! Playing for a 1-0, keeping things tight when you're the home team!!!! They were more likely to score, going for it and then we got an undeserved lead. 

Carlos Carvahal cost Sheffield Wednesday promotion that season. Gary Hooper in the side wouldn't have made a single bit of difference. 

Cardiff - Hooper was clear MoM, making one and scoring two.

Ipswich - we didn’t win. We drew. Hooper only played the last 14 mins.

Bristol City - Hooper injured. Lost 4-1. Our only defeat around that spell.

As for the next season, I dont agree with you. If Hooper had remained fit Carlos played a Hooper- Fletcher partnership we would have been way too strong for Huddersfield. However, there’s a good chance Carlos would have left Fletcher out and played the Hooper-FF partnership which has a terrible record.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Cardiff - Hooper was clear MoM, making one and scoring two.

Ipswich - we didn’t win. We drew. Hooper only played the last 14 mins.

Bristol City - Hooper injured. Lost 4-1. Our only defeat around that spell.

As for the next season, I dont agree with you. If Hooper had remained fit Carlos played a Hooper- Fletcher partnership we would have been way too strong for Huddersfield. However, there’s a good chance Carlos would have left Fletcher out and played the Hooper-FF partnership which has a terrible record.

that was the season before

1 hour ago, s6 owl said:

that was the season before

It was.

I still think we'd have beaten Huddersfield with Hooper up top.

He would have held the ball up for starters, something Nando was incapable of. 

What a crap evening that was. 

Edited by SiJ

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

It was.

I still think we'd have beaten Huddersfield with Hooper up top.

He would have held the ball up for starters, something Nando was incapable of. 

What a crap evening that was. 

He’d have taken a penalty too, unlike Rhodes.

The main reason we lost to Huddersfield was going there and acting like a team that was trying to avoid defeat to stave of relegation, a disgrace of a performance from a team in the play offs they had a rookie in goal and we didn't muster a shot on target 

The Cardiff win i'm talking about was the 1-0 where Forestieri scored with the diving header.

Great opinions by the way! I see where you are all coming from with regards to Hoopers intelligence in particular. Yes we certainly did miss his presence against Huddersfield. I will disagree with the opinions that we'd have won the play offs that season with Hooper in the side given how we played in the play offs the season before, which included Gary Hooper in the team.

I remember the play offs being Carlos' "Achilles heel" - in particular that 'Sheffield United style' performance in the play off final. His 'too scared to lose' tactics in my opinion cost us both seasons. Some of the attacking football we played under him was the best i've seen for donkeys years yet for some unknown reason, disappeared. 

Edited by katie melua

Our FFP issues are in great part down to those players not playing. 

I think Bruce will build a high quality, far smaller squad, with a reliance around the edges on the likes of Penney, Thornily, Preston, Dawson and Kirby, together with loans, to see us through. 

Just rewatched this due to this thread. It’s clear in these highlights Hooper offers something completely different. His link up play, pressing, and finishing surpasses everyone in my opinion.

Watching this, it’s also obvious how much we miss the Bannan, Lee, and Fessi partnership to go with it - three players that when fit and firing would walk into any championship first team.

I’d be dissapointed to see him go. If he can stay fit he’s the best striker at our club. 

https://youtu.be/oolNtNMwcdo

Edited by siowls
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, katie melua said:

The Cardiff win i'm talking about was the 1-0 where Forestieri scored with the diving header.

Great opinions by the way! I see where you are all coming from with regards to Hoopers intelligence in particular. Yes we certainly did miss his presence against Huddersfield. I will disagree with the opinions that we'd have won the play offs that season with Hooper in the side given how we played in the play offs the season before, which included Gary Hooper in the team.

I remember the play offs being Carlos' "Achilles heel" - in particular that 'Sheffield United style' performance in the play off final. His 'too scared to lose' tactics in my opinion cost us both seasons. Some of the attacking football we played under him was the best i've seen for donkeys years yet for some unknown reason, disappeared. 

Look back at the games where we played free-scoring attacking football.

Almost without exception you will find we played Hooper with a proper strike partner, Fletcher, Nuhiu, Rhodes or Joao.You will also find that Nando played wide. Or a front 3.

Norwich 5-1 twice

Brentford 4-0

Wolves 4-1

Town 3-1

Charlton 3-0 

Cardiff 3-0

Birmingham 3-0 twice

Birmingham 2-1 away

I think there’s little doubt that Hooper-Fletcher is our best partnership, and that our semis v Huddersfield would have been very different had he been fit. Compare our ball retention with Hooper, to that god-awful turd of a performance in the away leg where it was attack v defence.

13 minutes ago, siowls said:

Just rewatched this due to this thread. It’s clear in these highlights Hooper offers something completely different. His link up play, pressing, and finishing surpasses everyone in my opinion.

Watching this, it’s also obvious how much we miss the Bannan, Lee, and Fessi partnership to go with it - three players that when fit and firing would walk into any championship first team.

I’d be dissapointed to see him go. If he can stay fit he’s the best striker at our club. 

https://youtu.be/oolNtNMwcdo

Great day. Could watch it time and time again.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Look back at the games where we played free-scoring attacking football.

Almost without exception you will find we played Hooper with a proper strike partner, Fletcher, Nuhiu, Rhodes or Joao.You will also find that Nando played wide. Or a front 3.

Norwich 5-1 twice

Brentford 4-0

Wolves 4-1

Town 3-1

Charlton 3-0 

Cardiff 3-0

Birmingham 3-0 twice

Birmingham 2-1 away

I think there’s little doubt that Hooper-Fletcher is our best partnership, and that our semis v Huddersfield would have been very different had he been fit. Compare our ball retention with Hooper, to that god-awful turd of a performance in the away leg where it was attack v defence.

That period in December, we played 4-3-3 when we beat Wolves 4-1 and Birmingham 3-0. Both games could and perhaps should have been 8 or 9. The attacking football was superb - then came Middlesbrough away. 

The second 3-0 win over Birmingham flattered us big time. We went 1-0 up through Rhodes after a few minutes and then it was one way traffic. They wouldn't have scored in a brothel that game. Didn't they hit the woodwork 4 times? 

The issue in both the Huddersfield games was that Carlos picked a team with at least 7 unfit players in it.

No matter who you are you cannot  produce at the level required if you are nowhere near fit. We had players on the pitch miles away from being fit .