Gary Hooper

I’d forgot how good this man is and how much we’ve missed that link man between midfield and attack. 

Totally won me over in these past 3 games as I said get rid. We must surely try and offer him a new 1 year deal, or 2, but maybe less money. 

Doesn’t look like he’s been out so long, but I guess he’s a player that plays with his head, Sheringhamesque and doesn’t really have pace to lose. 

• Thanks 1

We have missed him a lot.  One moment epitomised him for me, we cleared a corner or free kick to the edge of our own box and Hoops collected, for a man with no pace he was quickly on the half way line, tying three defenders in knots before releasing a pass to keep the counter going.  His mind is a yard ahead of everyone else and his touch is sure, proper footballer.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

11 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

Hooper is one of those few players who's class will show through even if he loses a yard worth another chance I feel , we won't regret if his injuries are over 

His injuries will never be over had them throughout his career. The question is what walue will we get by giving him a new deal. If we manage him a bit like Sam Hutchinson then there would still be value in retaining him. Hutchinson has been great since coming back. Hooper hopefully would be the same.

I don't think Hooper will get the lucrative offers that some believe he will get. He will get offers from aboard but doubt it wil be the big money ones that big name ex premiership or international players get.

Having said that If I was him I would play abroad even if the money is not top notch, to experience what it is like.  I can see him going somewhere like the UAE.

Cant see him getting an offer from a premiership club so that just leaves another championship club. Maybe one of the bigger paying championship clubs will offer a last big payday similar to what we did with Fletcher, possibly one that has parachute money and is gambling on a quick return to the Premiership.

Think his recent injury problems will really count against him.

10 hours ago, mkowl said:

Loved the one two he did just after he came on. It was kicked too far in front of him, not flipping chasing that 

Was just going to mention that. Think it was Matias who sent the ball down the wing and Hooper was just like nah, you’ve got the wrong guy there.

Absolutely love him  

Guest mkowl
11 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Westwood 

Lee's

Hector

Lee

Bannan

Hutch 

Hooper 

Fletch

That is the spine of a very good team if we could keep them all fit.

See if Lee was fit the conundrum I don't think we ever solved was him, Hutch and Bannan in that midfield area to get the best out of them 

2 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

His injuries will never be over had them throughout his career. The question is what walue will we get by giving him a new deal. If we manage him a bit like Sam Hutchinson then there would still be value in retaining him. Hutchinson has been great since coming back. Hooper hopefully would be the same.

Was thinking the same. There were lots stating Hutch was finished with us & he’s been outstanding since his return & most importantly he’s stayed fit. Whether it’s how he’s managed from a fitness point of view, how he’s been asked to play or a combination he’s showing that the new regime know what they’re doing in this area. I don’t doubt they could do the same with Hooper & he’s worth a new contract. Some players are worth the risk.

2 hours ago, bobowl said:

i would love to keep Hooper and Fletcher. Great experience to pass on to the younger lads. Why is no one talking about Fletcher? been very consistant and leads the front line well.

Because it's a Hooper thread?  :ph34r:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

3 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Still people making shot up about him not being able to manage 30+ games. 

Ffs you can all read go and look!!! The only long term injury he’s had is the last one, admittedly it’s kept him out a long time but he isn’t flipping injury prone. We have posted the stats about twenty times.  If Carlos had t pushed him whilst not fit he wouldn’t have been out for so long.  

It will I’ll be the single biggest mistake we have made since the 90’s if we don’t keep him, luckily for us I doubt our new manager will be making poo up like our fans about previous crock testicles and he will try and keep him. 

Gary Hoopers game time to pounds cost would make him more expensive than Ronaldo and Messi this season :Sid:

We simply as a football club cannot waste £35,000 a week + on a player who is missing for big chunks of it.

If he wants to take a big pay cut to say £10-15,000 a week with a bigger bonus based on the volume of goals he scores then maybe the club can look at this, but we simple cannot waste anymore money on players like Hooper who in his 3 and 1/2 years with us has failed to play in over 50% of all the games he could have done in the league he has made after last night 79 appearance in 165 games.

A match fit and firing Gary Hooper is a great player and difference maker in this league but we simple cannot afford to have players like him and the injuries will keep coming as he gets older.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

If he continues to play in the same vein till the end of the season i'd look at a year deal on reduced terms possibly with heavy bonuses and incentives on top ..

I can defo see a lucrative offer from abroad .. especially the states

He will end up at Celtic he can play a reduced standard of football and will probably only need to play 25 games in a season.

2 hours ago, bobowl said:

i would love to keep Hooper and Fletcher. Great experience to pass on to the younger lads. Why is no one talking about Fletcher? been very consistant and leads the front line well.

Completely agree. Fletcher has been different class.

He's not just a target man either, got a bit of skill and a really good first touch.

Quality player for this level.