George Hirst

Guest LittleG
2 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

The difference between DC and McCabe is that the former runs the Owls as a hobby, whilst the latter runs the blunts as a business. Had Hirst been with the blunts they would have made a player, and probably big money out of him, David Brooks played 30 games and was sold for £11.5 million, we’re not in the same league business wise.

Don't like to say it but I'm sure Brooks is a far superior player 

2 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

The difference between DC and McCabe is that the former runs the Owls as a hobby, whilst the latter runs the blunts as a business. Had Hirst been with the blunts they would have made a player, and probably big money out of him, David Brooks played 30 games and was sold for £11.5 million, we’re not in the same league business wise.

I think its Hirst who isn’t in the same league as Brookes to be fair.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Brooks is a great player only issue I have with him is deciding to play for Wales, bad move.

I think that he weighed up the ‘big club’ dilemma, and opted for the easy option, however I do agree that it was a bad move, just imagine how many England caps Giggs could have won.

6 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

I’m not comparing him with Brooks, what I am comparing is the business skills of both owners. What I am certain of is that McCabe would have made money out of Hirst, by making the most out of him.

Could be the best businessman in the world but if you haven’t got a saleable asset in the first place you’re not going to sell him to anyone !

McCabe had a saleable asset (Brooks)

Chansiri didn’t have (Hirst).

George Hirst simply wasn’t/isn’t good enough, despite what the Owlstalk experts may think!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Could be the best businessman in the world but if you haven’t got a saleable asset in the first place you’re not going to sell him to anyone !

McCabe had a saleable asset (Brooks)

Chansiri didn’t have (Hirst).

George Hirst simply wasn’t/isn’t good enough, despite what the Owlstalk experts may think!

But that's simply not true is it? We were offered £2m for Hirst and if we had looked like selling at that time we would probably have sold eventually for about £5m.

But it's all academic now. He and his advisors have totally f****d his career.

3 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

Silk purse and sow's ear spring to mind.  Might as well compare me to Messi.

50 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

But that's simply not true is it? We were offered £2m for Hirst and if we had looked like selling at that time we would probably have sold eventually for about £5m.

Probably sold eventually for £5 million???

based on what and to who?

It happens times many

Look at the England youth teams , the shoolboy internationals etc..a lot simply don't make it.

Hirst caused such a furore mainly because of his name didn't he..If he had been called Butterthwaite..No f.ooker would have bothered.

Him and whoever his advisors were simply went for it too quickly didn't they?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hougoumont said:

Offered 2mil . Turned it down and they didn't come back with another offer so I don't get the 5mil part at all 

29 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Wonder how many other teams fans fret as much about a player that never played a full game for them, left and looked like he wasn’t going to cut it.

Don't forget , he shares / shared  the same agency as our investors / owners / recruiters.

If they can get him back to us cheap, all the better.