We are a decade away from being PL ready

8 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Can't think why this blatant piece of common sense would be unpopular.... although I see that berk hittwat has negged it.

Yep..I was thinking the same. He pops up just To meg a post. Strange creature.

My contention is that we were 90 minutes away from the Prem League. We failed to cross that line which was frustrating  but the biggest disappointment was the failure to build from that point and go backwards.

Wrong recruitment, wrong managers, wrong tactics, wrong decisions from the top of the Club. They took a view on how to progress but got it totally wrong. 

That needs to be reversed but the pickle of FFP makes it trickier to do

In answer to the OP I do think a NFL style system could be beneficial. If you still add in relegation would make it better than that system. There are enough big clubs to make it work 

10 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

We’re one good manager away from the Premier League. 

If you’re talking about competing in the top half of the Premier League then we are £250M and a decade away. 

Agree with this, I know that Cardiff City felt like they were decades away when they were battling relegation before Warnock took over. Now they may survive in the PL with the chance to progress further. It’s our current financial situation that’s the problem, if Chansiri could give money to Bruce to spend I think he’d assemble a top 6 side on paper. We need the FFP rules to be amended  

The top 6 teams in the prem regularly win 3 nil against other teams in the prem. Firstly we need to get yesterday's result into perspective. 

I agree with a few things in this thread, disagree with others. We can't have a draft system, our game isn't set up the same. We could have a salary cap but having seen the mess they're making introducing var I wouldn't trust the FA to sort it out. 

Main thing I agree with though is the 39 million loss allowance being wrong compared to current wages. They've gone up, the cap hasn't. We are seeing players go for crazy fees with crazy wages, driven by prem money and parachute payments. 

The system isn't fit for purpose. 

Are we a long way away from being a top 6 PL club? It's so far off you would need the hubble telescope to see it.

Are we a long way off from being a PL club? No, you only have to look at Cardiff as a recent example. As for one season and done, I'm not sure about that as we don't know the level of investment DC would put in if/when we get there.

The draft system wouldn't work here because in the states those players have a college programme which we don't so it would need a complete overhaul. The one system that American sports have which would work here is a salary cap. For me this would greatly restore parity to the game, Teams in the championship could no longer get a £40 million head start and everyone knows where they stand. 

We’re close in the sense that one ‘everything goes right season’ and we’re up - but you still need the right personnel for that. 

However, when you look at which teams have been up and down from the Prem since us, it’s painful. We aren’t even a yo-yo club, like a West Brom. 

12 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

You know what I was actually surprised how many Chelsea fans were there tonight. Looked prettty full. 

Maybe it's some obligation but I expected a few thou. 

We aren't decades away, we are strangled by FFP and we need someone to get it right. 

We weren't far away 3 seasons ago. If we learn from that we'll get another opportunity in the next 3/4 years. 

12 hours ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

Football as many of us know it has been dead for a long time.

It's a closed shop. Any team who starts threatening the top 5 just has their best players bought by one of these teams. 

FFP and P&S rules are out of date as players cost stupid amounts even in the championship and the astronomical wages are out of sync with the amount clubs can spend (they can't really afford to either) this is driven mainly by 3rd parties who are milking clubs for money.

The only thing which keeps me interested is that I enjoy going to Hillsborough. 

If you take a step back football is now a complete joke where money rules, players constantly cheat, grown men throw themselves on the floor screaming in absolute agony when there is absolutely nothing wrong with them and are up sprinting 5 seconds later. 

It's no longer a sport like I used to play and love to watch.

P & S is an attempt to get the game back on a sensible footing where clubs have to live within their means and a rich person can't buy promotion by splashing the cash. If it worked as it should it should stop wage inflation because if clubs can't afford big wages they can't pay them.

The problem is the parachute payments clubs coming down get. That distorts the ability to compete. The relegated clubs have a massive advantage. If there was some way to sort that out P & S could be the best thing to happen to Championship football.

If Premiership players contracts were obliged to include a big wage reduction on relegation it would be an incentive to Premiership players to up their game if they look like getting relegated and it would mean relegated clubs didn't need parachute payments. No idea how you get that contract clause inserted but it would solve most problems straight away.

12 hours ago, GY-owl.4 said:

wolves, Leicester & Bournemouth have done alright since climbing outa L1 not that long ago.

so It can be done, but youre right, we are a longgg way away.

We're miles away from the top six of the PL obviously.

But Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham, Newcastle etc are terrible teams no better really than top end Championship teams, so its really not beyond the realms we could get up and stay up in the next 3 years.

So much dross at the bottom of the PL.  I've long said it should be 5 teams promoted/relegate to at least make things interesting. 

We are facing a transfer embargo in Aprill. 

I really think many of you here dont realise that P&S is only now hitting clubs. 

When clubs balance their books. Each season there might be 4-6 teams with parachute payments, whilst the rest go without following P&S.

We wont be able to compete. 

Promotion in 3 years is ambitious.

Edited by MysticOwl

14 hours ago, MysticOwl said:

This wont be popular but football is dying in this country in favour of the few. 

I think tonight showed us how far we are from being up there with the best. Even when they had a few 2nd string choices. 

Man city and Liverpool performances have risen too since each club got 150m a season.

Even if we got to the PL we wouldnt stay up. 

The football clubs of yesteryear aka us, Leeds, Forest, Derby etc are too far behind now. P&S will cement that in place. 

Were chelsea fans even there tonight? 

Real football fans are stuck in the championship and we cant get out because of a monopoly and silly rules.

What a lot of kneejerk nonsense.

1) You don't stay up based on teh number of points you get off the top 6. You stay up based ont eh number of points you get off the bottom 6 and there's a VERY big gulf in class between the two. Playing Chelsea with a championship squad tells you nothing about where you'd finish after new signings and 38 premier league games.

2) There's no great monopoly keeping teams out of the Premier League. Only 7 clubs have been in the premier league for more than 7 years. City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs. Other than that they're up and down.

7th Year: Southampton, West Ham
6th Year: Crystal Palace
5th Year: Leicester
4th Year: Bournemouth

3rd Year: Burnley, Watford
2nd Year: Brighton, Huddersfield, Newcastle
1st Year: Cardiff, Fulham, Wolves

The obvious thing from that list is that in the last 2 seasons, only 1 of the 6 clubs that were promoted have been relegated (Hull).

But sure, if you want to claim that fans of Burnley, Newcastle and West Ham aren't real football fans, then go for it.

No one should listen to you tho.

Guest LittleG

To say we are 10 years away from being PL ready based on what we saw last night against a top 6 side is way over the top. We might be miles away from being a top six side but so are the majority of clubs that are already in the Premier League. We all know which sides are going to dominate each year and for the rest it's all about survival; however I'm sure this applies to many league's throughout Europe. It's going to be difficult getting there cos there are many clubs in the championship with the same ambition but i would hope its not going to take us 10 years to build a team to take us there.

14 hours ago, MysticOwl said:

This wont be popular but football is dying in this country in favour of the few. 

I think tonight showed us how far we are from being up there with the best. Even when they had a few 2nd string choices. 

Man city and Liverpool performances have risen too since each club got 150m a season.

Even if we got to the PL we wouldnt stay up. 

The Football League system and PL system needs an overhaul if it ever wants to survive. 

The last 20 years it has favoured the top 5 teams who snap up the best players and youth players. Some of which can never get a game which keeps them out of the hands of other clubs. 

I propose a more NHL type system where the money is spread across 4 x 12 league teams aka the top 46 clubs. 

The league should end like the superbowl which would make a bigger global but fairer product. 

They even have drafting picks in that system. Where the champions have last choice.

The football clubs of yesteryear aka us, Leeds, Forest, Derby etc are too far behind now. P&S will cement that in place. 

Wednesday need a miracle to become champions again. 

A PL 2 would help but it is only papering over the cracks. 

Widepsread changes from the top down is needed because the country is becoming full of armchair supporters. 

Were chelsea fans even there tonight? 

Real football fans are stuck in the championship and we cant get out because of a monopoly and silly rules.

the winners of the superbowl don't have to go into a continent wide competition where they are faced with Spanish, German and Italian sides. also our champions would have their hands tied by last choice in the draft pick, it's ok for insular systems like north korea, and American football and baseball..