We are a decade away from being PL ready

This wont be popular but football is dying in this country in favour of the few. 

I think tonight showed us how far we are from being up there with the best. Even when they had a few 2nd string choices. 

Man city and Liverpool performances have risen too since each club got 150m a season.

Even if we got to the PL we wouldnt stay up. 

The Football League system and PL system needs an overhaul if it ever wants to survive. 

The last 20 years it has favoured the top 5 teams who snap up the best players and youth players. Some of which can never get a game which keeps them out of the hands of other clubs. 

I propose a more NHL type system where the money is spread across 4 x 12 league teams aka the top 46 clubs. 

The league should end like the superbowl which would make a bigger global but fairer product. 

They even have drafting picks in that system. Where the champions have last choice.

The football clubs of yesteryear aka us, Leeds, Forest, Derby etc are too far behind now. P&S will cement that in place. 

Wednesday need a miracle to become champions again. 

A PL 2 would help but it is only papering over the cracks. 

Widepsread changes from the top down is needed because the country is becoming full of armchair supporters. 

Were chelsea fans even there tonight? 

Real football fans are stuck in the championship and we cant get out because of a monopoly and silly rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, MysticOwl said:

This wont be popular but football is dying in this country in favour of the few. 

I think tonight showed us how far we are from being up there with the best. Even when they had a few 2nd string choices. 

Man city and Liverpool performances have risen too since each club got 150m a season.

Even if we got to the PL we wouldnt stay up. 

The Football League system and PL system needs an overhaul if it ever wants to survive. 

The last 20 years it has favoured the top 5 teams who snap up the best players and youth players. Some of which can never get a game which keeps them out of the hands of other clubs. 

I propose a more NHL type system where the money is spread across 4 x 12 league teams aka the top 46 clubs. 

The league should end like the superbowl which would make a bigger global but fairer product. 

They even have drafting picks in that system. Where the champions have last choice.

The football clubs of yesteryear aka us, Leeds, Forest, Derby etc are too far behind now. P&S will cement that in place. 

Wednesday need a miracle to become champions again. 

A PL 2 would help but it is only papering over the cracks. 

Widepsread changes from the top down is needed because the country is becoming full of armchair supporters. 

Were chelsea fans even there tonight? 

Real football fans are stuck in the championship and we cant get out because of a monopoly and silly rules.

Can't think why this blatant piece of common sense would be unpopular.... although I see that berk hittwat has negged it.

Just now, GY-owl.4 said:

wolves, Leicester & Bournemouth have done alright since climbing outa L1 not that long ago.

so It can be done, but youre right, we are a longgg way away.

Agreed. When I went to see us win easily at Molineux just over two years ago I'd have said Wolves were a decade away too. Things can change very quickly.

4 minutes ago, flo said:

I agree that an NFL draft system would be cool, but it only takes one season for fortunes to change and you have a chance of promotion. 

I suppose it works when the draft picks are coming from the college amateur system as in NFL but football just doesn’t work in the same way. I do agree that the NFL system is healthier as it tries to level the playing field each season.

At present, with this squad we are, and are likely to finish mid-championship.

The end is nigh for many of the previous 3/4 years players, so the future must be bright.

Bruce will wipe away the slow, predictable, leggy players and bring in young, fresh and inhibited players who want to express themselves - hopefully...

• Like 1

Id sooner us stay in the championship as things are. Having a such biased ref today has proper put me off. Going up only makes the players richer we gain nothing .didnt enjoy today at all 6quid pints ,chelsea stewards been total d÷cks at half time and we were just awful on the pitch id sooner lose but at least having ago. We need a total overhaul in the summer. Our support is amazing but ive watched too many times this season us been so negitive away from home . We have been as bad at wigan forest brum blackburn hull all awful performances today i thought jos had returned .

Football as many of us know it has been dead for a long time.

It's a closed shop. Any team who starts threatening the top 5 just has their best players bought by one of these teams. 

FFP and P&S rules are out of date as players cost stupid amounts even in the championship and the astronomical wages are out of sync with the amount clubs can spend (they can't really afford to either) this is driven mainly by 3rd parties who are milking clubs for money.

The only thing which keeps me interested is that I enjoy going to Hillsborough. 

If you take a step back football is now a complete joke where money rules, players constantly cheat, grown men throw themselves on the floor screaming in absolute agony when there is absolutely nothing wrong with them and are up sprinting 5 seconds later. 

It's no longer a sport like I used to play and love to watch.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if we did manage to get up then I bet half that team tonight wouldn't be playing as we would spend a bit of money on players. Yes we still wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of Man City etc we would just be in the league at the bottom trying to stay up. If you do it right like Bournemouth etc it can be done but unless you get a massive injection of money then you don't have much chance these days as sadly it's all about the money as said we used to beat the likes of Man City, Chelsea etc until they got money then they became different clubs I'd like to think if we spent five hundred odd million we would be up there.

seems you have one or two of the relegated prem sides in and around the top 7 or 8 every season, then you have the likes of Derby & Villa who are up there most years, but with FFP you often get 2 or 3 sides come from no where and be up there, dependant on when a club can spend.

loads of examples.

Forest had a go under Pearce then rained back for a few years but look like they are going for it again,

Wolves looked also rans 3 seasons ago, bring this nuno guy in then 'Bang' they are flying.

Norwich have been poor last 2 seasons but have come again.

we had our tilt at it, struggled for two years, but with SB in charge maybe we will 'go again' in the next 2 seasons. hope so.

An American sports system wouldn’t work unless you restructured the entire game and closed it off to the rest of world football. The NHL and NFL are closed shops and the way the college system feeds players into them isnt realistic for football.

As for our Premier League aspirations? Chelsea are a super club. There are another 5 like them. Nobody else matters. Everyone else is disposable. The rest of the league is garbage and a waste of time. Only 7 teams in the league have a goal difference over 0 and more than half the division is competing every year only for the sake of still being there.

That should give every team in the Championship hope that they can go up and stay up, while also raising the question why should anybody bother or care.

Edited by sheffield_dave
  • Thanks 1

Cardiff went up with the worst promoted team I have seen in the recent past. Yes they might come back down £150 million better off. If teams like Bournemouth, Watford and Burnley can get up and stay up multiple years then there's no reason we can't. A bit of luck with injuries, a set way of playing, a consistant goal scorer, and you aren't far off the top of our league.

• Like 1