We are a decade away from being PL ready

3 hours ago, prowl said:

P & S is an attempt to get the game back on a sensible footing where clubs have to live within their means and a rich person can't buy promotion by splashing the cash. If it worked as it should it should stop wage inflation because if clubs can't afford big wages they can't pay them.

The problem is the parachute payments clubs coming down get. That distorts the ability to compete. The relegated clubs have a massive advantage. If there was some way to sort that out P & S could be the best thing to happen to Championship football.

If Premiership players contracts were obliged to include a big wage reduction on relegation it would be an incentive to Premiership players to up their game if they look like getting relegated and it would mean relegated clubs didn't need parachute payments. No idea how you get that contract clause inserted but it would solve most problems straight away.

Absolutely agree

9 hours ago, cookeh said:

What a lot of kneejerk nonsense.

1) You don't stay up based on teh number of points you get off the top 6. You stay up based ont eh number of points you get off the bottom 6 and there's a VERY big gulf in class between the two. Playing Chelsea with a championship squad tells you nothing about where you'd finish after new signings and 38 premier league games.

2) There's no great monopoly keeping teams out of the Premier League. Only 7 clubs have been in the premier league for more than 7 years. City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs. Other than that they're up and down.

7th Year: Southampton, West Ham
6th Year: Crystal Palace
5th Year: Leicester
4th Year: Bournemouth

3rd Year: Burnley, Watford
2nd Year: Brighton, Huddersfield, Newcastle
1st Year: Cardiff, Fulham, Wolves

The obvious thing from that list is that in the last 2 seasons, only 1 of the 6 clubs that were promoted have been relegated (Hull).

But sure, if you want to claim that fans of Burnley, Newcastle and West Ham aren't real football fans, then go for it.

No one should listen to you tho.

There you go, look above. Something you forgot to mention......

In the last 19 seasons all the above clubs in bold have have received parachute payments and made returns to the PL. This is a monopoly. 

If you contrast your above nonsense to the 1991/1992 season where Wednesday newly got promoted the season before and challenged for the league. Does that ever happen today?

My post considered P&S. It is gonna take another 3-4 years to build a new team having to balance the books. Then another 3-4 years of yo-yoing. 

Edited by MysticOwl

23 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I suppose it works when the draft picks are coming from the college amateur system as in NFL but football just doesn’t work in the same way. I do agree that the NFL system is healthier as it tries to level the playing field each season.

They could just aportion the money properly with small incremental amounts between all the clubs relative to position. Limit squad sizes to 20. 3 subs allowed. One year contracts for players. Loads of things could be done but wont.

23 hours ago, Animis said:

At present, with this squad we are, and are likely to finish mid-championship.

The end is nigh for many of the previous 3/4 years players, so the future must be bright.

Bruce will wipe away the slow, predictable, leggy players and bring in young, fresh and inhibited players who want to express themselves - hopefully...

bloody hope so,most of this team aren't up to it,get rid 

23 hours ago, MysticOwl said:

This wont be popular but football is dying in this country in favour of the few. 

I think tonight showed us how far we are from being up there with the best. Even when they had a few 2nd string choices. 

Man city and Liverpool performances have risen too since each club got 150m a season.

Even if we got to the PL we wouldnt stay up. 

The Football League system and PL system needs an overhaul if it ever wants to survive. 

The last 20 years it has favoured the top 5 teams who snap up the best players and youth players. Some of which can never get a game which keeps them out of the hands of other clubs. 

I propose a more NHL type system where the money is spread across 4 x 12 league teams aka the top 46 clubs. 

The league should end like the superbowl which would make a bigger global but fairer product. 

They even have drafting picks in that system. Where the champions have last choice.

The football clubs of yesteryear aka us, Leeds, Forest, Derby etc are too far behind now. P&S will cement that in place. 

Wednesday need a miracle to become champions again. 

A PL 2 would help but it is only papering over the cracks. 

Widepsread changes from the top down is needed because the country is becoming full of armchair supporters. 

Were chelsea fans even there tonight? 

Real football fans are stuck in the championship and we cant get out because of a monopoly and silly rules.

If Derby got promoted they’d have loads of players wanting to join Lampard’s Derby; they’d have 30 thousand + season tickets sold. They have lots happening at Pride Park outside of match days and make extra money from their commercial exploits. 

They would cope easy. 

And they’ve sold Vydra and Will Hughes! 

I’m gonna say it .......

...Leicester.

they were us a few years ago. I know it was a minor miracle but it still happened, and it could happen to someone again.

We were outclassed by a better side last night but we’re no way as far away as OP suggests.

49 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

I’m gonna say it .......

...Leicester.

they were us a few years ago. I know it was a minor miracle but it still happened, and it could happen to someone again.

We were outclassed by a better side last night but we’re no way as far away as OP suggests.

We are if you are not allowed to spend money....

Maybe some people missed this in my OP. 

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 05:17, marcx666 said:

Or alternatively, we could have just actually attempted to win the game, like Millwall, Wimbledon, Shrewsbury etc, but. we didn't because agnew is godawful and the English Jos. And my next scapegoat for the foreseeable future

• Like 1