I think the key to getting Lees back to full strength is giving him some competition.

Right now Hector and Lees are our only real senior centerbacks. Thorniley and Pudil are quite clearly 2ndary.

Having decent competition for Lees would do him the world of good. In a funny way it'd put the pressure on him, but also take it off.

He'd have more incentive to perform as he'd lose his place, but also he wouldn't be forced to play every  game, even when he's out of sorts and low on confidence. He could let someone else have the reigns and work at getting back to his best.

So the usual 'lack of depth at centerback' problem we've had for years.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

I think the key to getting Lees back to full strength is giving him some competition.

Right now Hector and Lees are our only real senior centerbacks. Thorniley and Pudil are quite clearly 2ndary.

Having decent competition for Lees would do him the world of good. In a funny way it'd put the pressure on him, but also take it off.

He'd have more incentive to perform as he'd lose his place, but also he wouldn't be forced to play every  game, even when he's out of sorts and low on confidence. He could let someone else have the reigns and work at getting back to his best.

So the usual 'lack of depth at centerback' problem we've had for years.

Yes, and that’s probably why a centre back seems to have been made a priority However, I think we can say that Thorniley deserves to be in the mix now

Just now, gurujuan said:

Yes, and that’s probably why a centre back seems to have been made a priority However, I think we can say that Thorniley deserves to be in the mix now

Not against Hector Thorniley. I'm not sure Hector's anything more than an average Championship level defender, but Lees' head (and his level) certainly has dropped. He needs a hand from somewhere, and maybe just taking away the pressure of having to be in the starting 11 regardless will help him.

When people say Lees isnt captain material, i think back to this:

How many people said Loovens wasn't captain material because he wasnt 'vocal enough' ?

Yet we lost all organisation when he stopped playing for us and now people are saying Lees isnt the same player without a leader next to him that he had in Loovens?!

Carlos said GL was the best captain he's ever worked with and numerous players have said the same, yet lots of fans constantly said he shouldnt have been captain

I don't get how people can say someone isnt the right fit for captain when you dont actually know them as a person or are part of that group, or know how members of that group are with them. 

Edited by WhiteOwl91

8 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

How many people said Loovens wasn't captain material because he wasnt 'vocal enough' ?

Yet we lost all organisation when he stopped playing for us and now people are saying Lees isnt the same player without a leader next to him that he had in Loovens?!

Carlos said GL was the best captain he's ever worked with and numerous players have said the same, yet lots of fans constantly said he shouldnt have been captain

I don't get how people can say someone isnt the right fit for captain when you dont actually know them as a person or are part of that group, or know how members of that group are with them. 

I can’t remember anyone saying that.

I think he’s struggled for some form for some time. I don’t think he's comfortable with being the captain but I suspect he’ll keep the armband for the rest of the season? Personally I would look to move him on in the summer.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

7 hours ago, bladeshater said:

This knocking of lees can anyone name a player who's on top of their game every week this is a poor wednesday team 

Yes it is, which is why you need a captain to inspire and take control. Lees is not that type of player. However, if he could regain the confidence and form of a couple of seasons ago, I think we still have an excellent player on our books.

23 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

No-one-noone-no-one.gif

Not looking for scapegoats. I hate singling out 1 player from all the others. The point is that everyone knows Tom Lees is a better player than how he playing for a while now. I want him back to his best. It's obvious now continually picking him is not working. Perhaps removing the captains arm band is worth trying. I can't see what advantages Lees being captain has for us anyway. 

4 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

Hopefully Bruce can get the best out of Lees. He’s still a quality CB in this league. Let’s try and stick behind him.

I agree. But you have to realise that he not playing near his best. I like the opinion of he needing to concentrate on his own game. He not a motivater before or after getting arm band. Bruce first job is to get Lees playing his best consistently. It will save a lot of money for full backs

13 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I agree. But you have to realise that he not playing near his best. I like the opinion of he needing to concentrate on his own game. He not a motivater before or after getting arm band. Bruce first job is to get Lees playing his best consistently. It will save a lot of money for full backs

He’s definatley not a leader on the pitch. Maybe he his off the pitch? Maybe all the players respect him?

Tom Lees needs taking out of the first 11 for a while. He's clearly not the player he was and weather he can be is debatable but at the moment it should be Hector and Thornley. The poor fullbacks don't help him but at least this would give him a break and the chance to try force his way back in.

Cannot understand it with lees He’s been out right one of our best defenders for a long time over the last season he’s been Very unsettled ever since he came back from injury has that got something to do with it or is it since the partnership of GL and him broke up when GL moved on or did GL Just make him look good

time for him to pull his socks up I think ......

Or is he just lost his legs since coming back from injury

He made one mistake last night , and yes it could have proved costly , but how many times did Reach pass to the opposition fron 2 yards or Bannan ping the ball 10 yards beyond a teamate attempting a worldy , or Hector misjudge a tackle . We won for heavens sake . Lay off them for once !

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
3 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Not looking for scapegoats. I hate singling out 1 player from all the others. The point is that everyone knows Tom Lees is a better player than how he playing for a while now. I want him back to his best. It's obvious now continually picking him is not working. Perhaps removing the captains arm band is worth trying. I can't see what advantages Lees being captain has for us anyway. 

Take away the Hull fiasco where every single player was poor. We have conceded 2 goals in the other 6 previous games including 4 clean sheets. The TL witch hunt doesn't stack up. Lets leave the coaching and decisions to the people who know what they are talking about. As i posted earlier the last 4 management set ups have him as number one CB.